Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
John Gibson

Default Temperatures

My 1936 Phaeton pushes the temperature gauge right to the top line on the gauge. It's 91 degrees ambient outside temperature here in coastal Georgia. I have a laser temperature gun from Harbor Freight and the highest reading I am getting is 202 degrees Fahrenheit taking readings six inches away from the heads, etc. I'm thinking that is quite high and should be down in the 190 range. I'm certain that a lot of gearheads on this Forum know a lot more about this issue than I do.

July 1, 2017. Skip Haney water pumps and no thermostats.
Johh

Last edited by John Gibson; 07-01-2017 at 05:36 AM.
John Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Temperatures

If it's not boiling then it's ok, but doesn't leave a lot of margin. 190 would defiantly be better. There are a lot of factors that can contribute to increased temperatures such as casting sand in block, radiator blockage, fan not moving enough air through the radiator, leakage of combustion gas into the cooling system, etc. It can take a little effort to narrow down the culprit. Is the temperature consistent from one side to the other?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
Bored&Stroked

Give us a little more history on the car and it's past behavior. Is this something new and different . . . or has it always ran hot? Were you sitting at stop lights (idling) and it crept up to this temperature, or going down the road? You get the point - we don't have much to work with at this point.

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
alanwoodieman

assume you are running 50/50 mixture water antifreeze? you can add some "water wetter" about two bottles works in my flatheads and can be good for about 10 to 20 degrees lower temp, but first you may need to clean the cooling system. give us a little more to go on. the 36 I just worked on would run about 180, creeps to 190 under hard load at 55 mph with 3:78 rear gears
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
supereal

When I first got my '47 it wouldn't go around the block without pegging the gauge. I tried most of the easy fixes with no results. Finally, I bought a new radiator. It certainly wasn't cheap. bit I can run in any traffic and highways with the gauge holding steady at the mid point. It has been in the mid 90's here in Iowa for most of the month, and it doesn't affect the engine temp. Have the cooling system pressure checked to eliminate any leakage that would indicate internal gasket leakage.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote