Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #1621
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Looks like it was cobbled together to make it run a bit. That radiator position is .... strange! :-)
Old 05-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #1622
Vic Piano

Steve, they all need tweaking... LOL. Like most old cars, this one has obviously seen its share of being messed with, aka Tweaked... I'm sure we'll get her running and go through the drivetrain to see how much of it is functional, etc. Overall she is in good shape for a convertible, the floors are solid, and that's a good thing. Also, everything is there, and there is a pile of extra parts, including sheet metal that came with the deal. I think she'll make an excellent Moonshine runner...
Old 05-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #1623
Vic Piano

Bill, yup, it had been "cobbled together", most likely more than once! That chunk of wood supporting the radiator looks like a temporary set up to crank the engine and have water running through it. Once we get her running and do whatever else needs to be done forward of the firewall (I know, Ford called it a dashboard) we'll install the front clip, with all the correct parts, no wooden braces... LOL
Old 05-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #1624
Vic Piano

Yesterday, after playing with Don's newly acquired '50 Ford Convertible for a while, I drove the '39 CS (in its topless configuration) over to Keith's house, to indulge in some excellent BBQ. The afternoon sky displayed a slight hint of impending rain showers so, Keith gave me a hand putting the top up on the '39 CS. As it turned out, putting the top up was the prudent thing to do... As I departed Keith's, the sky was getting darker and by the time I was just about half way home, I was caught in a torrential down pour complete with hail stones... I was on a six lane highway when the blinding rains hit so, fearing I'd get rear-ended by some speeding motorist, I pulled off the road at the first opportunity. I sat in a Fire Station parking lot for around twenty minutes, waiting for the traffic flow and/or the rain to subside. Thankfully, I got back on the road and made it home without incident. I have to say that the installation of the electric fuel pump has substantially added to the '39 CS's dependability factor! Now, if I could only figure out how to keep the convertible dryer on the inside...
Old 06-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #1625
Vic Piano

I'm still waiting on parts I ordered for the '39 LZ a week and a half ago... So, I'm at a stand still as far as continuing the rewiring project. Don is coming over today, to start working on the '50 Convertible, so we'll have some fun in the garage on my lunch hour...
Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #1626
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Got some good news today, a few of the parts I ordered for the '39 LZ were shipped today... I know, a week and a half after I placed the order, and for just two rubber items... Other good news is, I did find an NOS headlight switch and dimmer switch for the LZ. This Saturday we'll be driving on the Vanquish Vapor Lock Tour so... no playing in the garage...
Old 06-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #1627
Steves46

Good to hear that you scored on the NOS headlight & dimmer switch. Looking forward to Saturday.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #1628
Vic Piano

Steve, Yes, to say that I was happy to find those NOS parts is an understatement! The LZ is coming back together nicely, she'll be back on the road in a few weekends. I'm also looking forward to the Vanquish vapor Lock tour this Saturday, see you at the Flying J Truck Stop at 0900...
Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #1629
41ford1

Nice score on the switches. You can concentrate on getting the LZ on the road without having to refurb the old one. Have fun Saturday.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #1630
Vic Piano

Thanks Chuck, now I'm another step closer to getting the LZ back on the road... I miss driving her...
Old 06-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #1631
Vic Piano

Ok, time to vent about a parts supplier... Over two weeks ago, I ordered a firewall grommet and fan belt for the '39 LZ from Narragansett Reproductions. I was told that the parts were in stock and would be shipped the next day. After a week and a half, I called to find that the parts had not been shipped and were scheduled to go out on June 3rd. I called today and asked for the shipper and a tracking number. Subsequently, I went on line to the FedEx tracking site, typed in the number I was given, and was told by FedEx that the package had not been released by the shipper and the delivery address was Orange, CA. I called back and talked to the same Mensa candidate... He told me he gave me the wrong tracking number, and that the correct number was listed just above the number he gave me.. Now, I'll be the first to admit that, on occasion, mistakes are made however, I found dealing with Narragansett Reproductions to be extremely painful and counter productive. Needless to say, I will NOT be dealing with them in the future and I would caution anyone else to seek out other suppliers. I hope that when the package finally arrives (scheduled for next Monday) that the order was filled correctly... I have my doubts... We'll see...
Old 06-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #1632
riverhead55

Vic did you get Dons front fenders on today?
riverhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #1633
Vic Piano

No, the fenders needed some body work so Don took them to a shop he knows and he will pick up to fenders on Monday. Today we held the Vanquish Vapor Lock Tour to Dade City so we didn't have any "play time" in the garage.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #1634
Vic Piano

Here's a follow up to my earlier rant about Narragansett Reproductions. After a total of three weeks, the order I placed (one fan belt, one firewall grommet and two cork headlight bucket seals for the '39 LZ) finally arrived just moments ago... The shipping charge, (for a two pound envelope) was $10.00. Normally, I don't mind paying a reasonable shipping charge but, $10.00 for a two pound sack, delivered by FedEx ground, after being shipped a week and a half after I ordered it, is just too much... I reiterate, I will not deal with Narragansett Reproductions ever again! To say that their customer service sucks, is giving them far too much credit.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #1635
Vic Piano

Today we are being treated to some liquid sunshine, and the forecast calls for more of the same tomorrow... I hope that doesn't put a damper on our plans to play in the garage... I'm hoping to get Don's '50 Rag Top fired up so we can see how she runs. I've also got to get back on the Zephyr and continue the rewiring project, to say nothing about PIZZA for lunch...
Old 06-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #1636
Vic Piano

Boy, we had big fun in the garage today! In attendance were Mike, Steve, Don, Cliff, Art, Ted and me... And that should answer the question "how many Cigar City Flatheads does it take to fire up a Flathead"... LOL After trying to "hot wire" the car with a 6 volt battery, we opted for the 12 volt jolt and, after we poured a little gas down the carb, to prime it, she fired up and was running strong, no smoke, no missing and no unusual sounds, just the growl of a Flathead... Here are some photos of the fun.
Art performing carb surgery...

Mike taking the tranny mount out.

Ted supervising our fun.

The extraction...

Last edited by Vic Piano; 06-14-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Vic Piano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #1637
Vic Piano

Oops, I hit the wrong key... Here's more of the fun.
With the transmission and bell housing removed.

Proof that Ted did actually get some grease on his hands.

And finally, our usual PIZZA...

All in all, another fun day with Flatheads in the garage... Now, Don has his list of parts to pick up for reassembly... Next week I hope to get back on the '39 LZ's rewire job...

Last edited by Vic Piano; 06-14-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Vic Piano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #1638
Vic Piano

Yesterday we got back at it in the garage. Don spent some time painting the Flathead from his '50 Rag Top while Keith, Cliff and I continued the rewiring of the '39 LZ. Here are a few photos of the fun...
Here's Keith reassembling the gauge cluster.

All redone and ready to go back into the dash

Don's '50 Flathead...
Old 06-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #1639
Vic Piano

This is a bit off topic but I thought I'd post it here anyway. It's time to thin out the herd... I need more garage space... I've decided to let my '66 Lincoln Continental Convertible (originally purchased by my dad, in '66), go to a new home... If anyone is interested, PM me. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #1640
Marv

Talking Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Vic do you realize that when your Grandson turns 18 that Lincoln will be 66 years old and a real rare Antique. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote