Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2023, 09:31 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Starting My 1914 Model T

It amazes me the things I learn about my Model T. I have been having a terrible time starting my Model T especially after it is at operating temperature. Lately, I have gotten too tired to continue cranking it. I recently watched a guy start his Model T by jacking up the rear wheels. I knew about this but I assumed it was only necessary during cold weather. I decided to try it and I am absolutely surprised how great it works. I jacked up both wheels to be safe, set the transmission in neutral and with the key in OFF I choked the engine 3 times. I did notice that it was slightly easier to crank. I then turned on the ignition and was absolutely amazed. I got a "free start" and the car continued to run. The next day my car started the same way. After it has been running for a couple of minutes (which in the past has been a problem), I continue to get "free starts" with the car jacked up.

Why is the car so much easier to start and run with the wheels jacked up?
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 05:11 PM   #2
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Starting My 1914 Model T

Even with the high clutch released there is oil in the small spaces between the plates. This causes drag-the oil is trying to rotate the clutch assembly (thus trying to turn the rear wheels). Jacking up the rear axle allows the wheels to turn, thus eliminating this drag.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 05:17 PM   #3
harryc

that is partly true but the main reason for jacking it up is for the additional flywheel effect etc. you need only jack up one wheel
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 11:33 PM   #4
Dodge

There should hardly be any drag when its at operating temperature. Can you feel drag of the clutches when its warm or is it just hard to start?
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 10:46 AM   #5
Kurt in NJ

If the oil is too thick there will be more drag from the clutch, when I got my 17 it cranked real stiff, I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to crank start it, also the magneto only made 3 volts, the oil was very thick.
With a oil can I squirted 5w30 into the clutch and onto the pistons, that loosened it up, even at 30 degrees.
A on the car magnet recharge with heavy jumper cables, 3 hot diesel car batteries (36 volts) and it resulted with 9 volts hand cranking.—- now starts easily on magneto and even if I forget the hand brake it won’t chase me
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:54 PM   #6
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
that is partly true but the main reason for jacking it up is for the additional flywheel effect etc. you need only jack up one wheel
Are you cranking it with high engaged? Sounds rather risky!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 08:19 PM   #7
harryc

absolutely- been doing it that way for 65 years. as long as it's blocked well it's not going anywhere. reengage the brake slowly before before you lower it down
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote