Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2023, 02:02 PM   #1
harryc

Default tan canvas spare tire cover

anyone happen to know, for sure, if the tan canvas spare tire covers with with the blue oval ford script are authentic to the era or are they just a modern look nice accessory. I don't believe I have ever seen an old or a factory picture. The old pictures I have seen with the oval script appear to be vynal covers
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 05:16 PM   #2
gdmn852

Default Re: tan canvas spare tire cover

Hello, the very few originals I have seen were the artificial painted cloth that was supposed to look like leather, one or what was left of it had the dealer name and location that sold it, taking to the “old timer” that had it , he said that was a common thing dealers did in that area , free advertising and you got a spare tire cover, after they sold you the spare . I think they accept a tan cover for judging.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 11:03 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

The Ford Parts Price List of July 1931 does not list any tire covers. However, the Ford Service Bulletins list several A-1395 Tire Covers.
The Service Bulletin of February 1928, Page 228 introduces a new fabric tire cover made of drill with a black rubber coating and a pebble surface. A part number is not mentioned for this 1928 cover, but it likely is A-1395-A.
The Service Bulletin of June 1930 introduces two additional tire covers made of metal, but it also mentions a Fabric Tire Cover A-1395-B. No description is given of the -B Cover.
The Service Bulletin of June 1930, Page 467 introduces Metal Tire Covers A-1395-c and A-1395-D. These are 2-piece covers, each having an inner and outer ring. A-1395-C has a black inner and outer ring. The A-1395-D has a chrome outer ring and a black inner ring.
The Service Bulletin for April 1931, Page 554 introduces the "creme de la creme" of tire covers, the Metal Tire Cover A-1395-E. This tire cover for 19" wheels is rarely seen, but it is the most attractive of all Ford accessory tire covers. The first 3 photos show an original A-1395-E Metal Tire Cover on a Model "A" Victoria. The 4th & 5th photos show an aftermarket similar metal tire cover on my Victoria.
No mention in Ford literature in my library is made of a tan fabric tire cover with a Ford logo. No mention is made of the tire size of the A-1395-C, -D & -E Covers, but the bulletin dates suggest they were as a minimum offered for 19" Model "A" wheels. My guess is that the A-1395-A & -B Fabric Covers were for 21" Model "A" wheels as a minimum on the basis of the bulletin dates.
Perhaps a Ford Barner has access to the factory drawing A-1395 and can give us more info on original tire covers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190A Ford Tire Cover 315KB.jpg (60.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 190A Ford Tire Cover 322KB.jpg (44.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 190A Ford Tire Cover 336KB.jpg (48.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Tire Cover For 190A 326kb.jpg (53.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 190A With Metal Spare Tire Cover 290kb.jpg (75.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 09-03-2023 at 11:17 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:35 PM   #4
sjhark

When my dad passed away, he left a large selection of unknown antique Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge parts.
The collection contained what we thought was a metal Model A spare tire cover, but based on Bob Bidonde's photos, now I'm not sure.
Can anyone tell me what this cover is from (sorry for the picture quality)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford cover.jpg (66.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-08-2023, 02:59 PM   #5
mcgarrett

Looks like a '36 Ford spare cover.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 12:47 PM   #6
rich40701

I have the metal covers and I am going to switch to canvas or vinyl someday because getting the metal ones off is a pain and usually results in scratched paint.
rich40701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 02:42 PM   #7
David in San Antonio

Does anyone know a source for high quality canvas / cotton covers? The Wretched Roadster has them but though they’re pretty elaborate and well made, they are very old.
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote