Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Aerocraft

Default Model A engines do fly !

My wife and I just returned from Brodhead, WI, where the Experimental Aircraft Association Chapter 431 ( www.eaa431.org ) hosted the annual "Pietenpol Flyin". The "Pietenpol Aircamper" is a early thirties era homebuilt airplane design developed by Bernie Pietenpol of Spring Valley, MN. His engine of choice was our favorite, the Model A.

As installed in either the two place "Aircamper" or the single place "Scout", the engine has rather simple modifications to convert it to a successful aircraft engine. The propeller is driven by the crankshaft flange in place of the flywheel. As a result, the engine is mounted level but "backwards" in the airplane.The oil dipper tray has dams welded in place to insure that oil is always available for the rods during flight. Oil is routed from the normally plugged hole below the center of the valve chamber cover to several places at the front of the oil pan. In the valve chamber, tubes loosely fitting in the original delivery tubes also route oil directly from the outlet of the oil pump directly to the three tubes leading to the main bearings. The Model B carb is generally used due to the axis of the float hinge. The float in the B carb is less susceptible to surging in flight. The magneto (generally one) is driven directly by a coupling attached to what was the front of the crankshaft. A special fitting is made to drive the mechanical tachometer directly off of what was the front of the camshaft. The attached pictures show some of the modifications.

You will see from the pictures, there are many neat ideas for water pumps, carburetors, ignition, cylinder heads and so on. There was one Model A engine flying at the event with a very clever fuel injection system.

Nobody really knows how many of the airplanes have been built over the years in basement and garages but one can be certain that each airplane carries the ideas of the builder and are as different as their owners. The Model A is by far not the only engine used as power. The first Scout used a Model T and current airplanes fly very well with modified Corvairs as well as a variety of small general aviation certified aircraft engines. Small Continentals and Lycomings are very common but certainly not the only engines used.

This description is simplified and very brief. If anyone has question or comments, have at it. More pictures can be seen at various web sites. Google Pietenpol for more info. There is a very active club, The Brodhead Pietenpol Association, featuring the Pietenpol which can be found at www.pietenpols.com

The flyin is held every year at Brodhead, WI just before the annual Oshkosh, WI, EAA "Airventure" and is either the third or fourth weekend in July. The EAA Chapter 431 web site will list the correct dates. Visitors are quite welcome and a special spot is reserved for those who drive in in a Model A Ford. A photo web site of a prior flyin can be found at: www.chappedliver.com/2007brodhead.asp Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
TechNova

Default Re: Model A engines do fly !

Very cool. As a plane enthusiast and only an hour away, I wish I woulda went.
TechNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Aerocraft

Yes, really cool stuff!

Here is a link to more pictures of the event taken by Grant McLaren.

www.grantmaclaren.com/brodhead10

You will see other engine installations. Gar Williams
Old 07-27-2010, 02:15 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft View Post
As installed in either the two place "Aircamper" or the single place "Scout", the engine has rather simple modifications to convert it to a successful aircraft engine.
I don't know looks a little complicated to me.

http://www.wingsofhistory.org/images.../pietenpol.pdf
Old 07-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Larry Brumfield

There are a few Pietenpols wearing Brumfield Heads. They like the extra power, the ease to install the water lines allowed by the extra water jacket thickness and also the heads are machined to fit the aviation spark plug of their choice. But most don't want the extra pounds that goes with them on an airplane. Total weight is about 38 pounds.

However, the Pietenpol is not the only plane out there with a Model A engine. I remember making a custom Brumfield Head for a fellow in CA. with a plane that looked to me like a miniature Spirit of St. Louis. I'll look for the pictures.

Larry B.
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Aerocraft

There are a number of different aircraft designs that have flown successfully with the Model A engine. Larry, I believe the one you are commenting about could be what is called a Corben. It is a single place high wing airplane about the size of a Pietenpol. The wing on the Corben is mounted directly on the top of the fuselage as is the Ryan based Spirit of St. Louis. I know of at least two that currently exist. It would be great if you could post a picture.

All of the Model A engines that I have seen installed in airplanes have had higher compression cylinder heads, most of them are aluminum because of the weight, most at or under 6:1 compression ratio. Dan Price http://www.dan4banger.com/products.html used to make an aluminum head with two plugs per cylinder which was perfect for aircraft use. There is a picture of that head in use on the black and yellow Pietenpol shown in my first post. In that case, the owner has two mags, one driven off of the crankshaft and a second mag driven by the cam gear as was the governor on the combine engines.

The engine in the second picture also has two mags installed in an identical manner as the one with the Price cylinder head. In this case, and you will have to look closely, the owner had what I would call a "Y" fitting machined to accept two 14 MM plugs so that each cylinder has two plugs. The owner reports that it works very well. Gar Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-7-25 Pietenpol at Brodhead (3).jpg (66.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Gail's Pietenpol (1).jpg (70.1 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Aerocraft; 07-27-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Aerocraft

Here are two pictures of other types of Model A Ford engine powered airplanes. The First is a Corben Super Ace and the second is a Wiley Post Biplane. Do a Google on either or both for much more information. Gar Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corben2.jpg (20.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg WileyPostBiplane.jpg (38.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #8
Jordan

some poeple are braver than i am
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
Aerocraft

Here is a link to a well done Youtube clip about a Pietenpol. Great flying scenes and you can experience the unique sound of the Model A engine in flight. The sound and action starts about 1:45 into the video. Enjoy! Gar Williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ8RS3FuVoA