Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #41
FrankWest

Default Re: replacing fuel line.

Interesting take on welding the two lines together...
Spoke with Roy N...
Roy says they weld the two steel lines together first then send them to the copper plater!
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #42
DavidG

That's the way Mike makes them out of necessity. To duplicate the original process would require an investment in tooling that would make the end product prohibitively expensive.

Your two red arrows are pointing to air vents, one to vent the tank and the other as the source for the air bubbles that are formed in the chambers of the tank sending unit that create the air pressure to cause the fluid in the gauge on the instrument panel to rise and fall with the level of fuel in the tank.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #43
FrankWest

seems good as long as it is a steel tube copper plated. It is funny how old know how is dying..A the man on the street thinks he is so technologically advanced.
I worked in aerospace for 30 years and during the 70s when the space program was dead.
Companies tossed out technical blueprints including the Saturn 5 moon rocket drawings.
If we had to build that rocket today, we would have to reinvent it.. 50 year old technology that we no longer have...In fact we currently, need to ride russian boosters to get to the space station. but they don't even have anything powerful enough to lift a massive payload out of earth orbit.

Last edited by FrankWest; 04-15-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:29 AM   #44
jim1932

based on my 32, is the fact that the sender is pointing to the side an indication it was set up for a v8? Mine points at the motor. If so, wouldn't turning the sender around give you more length on the fuel gauge line?
Old 04-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #45
DavidG

Jim,

The orientation of the tank unit on a '33-'34 is to the side and not to the front like on a '32. His problem with his current line is that it is too long, not too short.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #46
FrankWest

Shown is a photo of firewall showing airline?? firewall clip I assume.
What type of clips are used under the frame from the sender unit to the fuel pump?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FuelLineClip.jpg (87.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #47
Steve Staysko

The thread below is an excellent explanation on the fuel line routing.. The fuel & air line are secured under the firewall clip and at this point the lines split with the gas line going to the fuel pump and air line to the fuel gauge.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...1934+fuel+line
Steve Staysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #48
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Staysko View Post
The thread below is an excellent explanation on the fuel line routing.. The fuel & air line are secured under the firewall clip and at this point the lines split with the gas line going to the fuel pump and air line to the fuel gauge.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...1934+fuel+line
Great! Thanks
Old 04-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #49
DavidG

With respect, perhaps a reminder is order. The car in question is a four banger. The clip shown on the firewall is the correct clip for a V-8 which on a LHD car is routed on the left side of the chassis. On a four, it is routed on the right side, both LHD and RHD.

Why that clip is on your car's firewall is a mystery, but not likely put there by Ford. (No one reproduces it so someone will gladly buy from you to use it on their V-8 vehicle.)

The clips used on a four's fuel line are much simpler and all of them are attached to the right side frame rail. None are attached to the firewall. The forward-most clip is like that shown in the middle of the left column of clips in the photo below and is attached to the bottom of the frame rail. (The clips shown in the thread that Steve posted above are the same ones, only in that instances used on a V-8 chassis with the line on the left side.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 508.jpg (33.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #50
FrankWest

Roy N... Told me that my order of the Siamese fuel line for a 1933 model B was the first one in 10 Years. And they had to shake of the dust of the old plans and forms to begin my fuel line.
He said it would take approx I month.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:11 AM   #51
FrankWest

1933 model B "4 cylinder" car fuel line rounting. I can follow the first leg of the routing from my existing line from fuel tank up to fuel pump. But does anyone have any information on the routing of the airline after it separates from the fuel line right near the firewall? It needs to travel across firewall to line up with the dash fuel gauge? Not sure if the airline enters the dash immediately or is run across the firewall in the engine compartment and then enters the firewall near the dash fuel gauge location?
Old 04-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #52
DavidG

Here's a photo of a '33-'34 firewall from a four-cylinder car. Note that there are only two holes on the lower vertical surface that are large enough for the fittings on the end of the air line to pass through. The large hole on the left (in the photo) doesn't exist on a LHD V-8 so that there's only one possible hole to use for a LHD V-8 air line which is routed on the left side of the chassis. So, unlike the LHD V-8, Ford had two options as to where to pass the four-cylinder air line through the firewall. Given the Company's ever-present objective to minimize costs by using no more material than was absolutely necessary, which hole do you think that they picked to minimize the distance (i.e. the length of the line) between the combined line routed on the right side of the chassis and the gauge on the instrument panel?
Old 04-17-2016, 08:08 AM   #53
DavidG

Oops, forgot the photo. Here it is, a '33 firewall in its LHD four-cylinder configuration without any extra holes added post production.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 224 - Copy.jpg (43.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #54
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Here's a photo of a '33-'34 firewall from a four-cylinder car. Note that there are only two holes on the lower vertical surface that are large enough for the fittings on the end of the air line to pass through. The large hole on the left (in the photo) doesn't exist on a LHD V-8 so that there's only one possible hole to use for a LHD V-8 air line which is routed on the left side of the chassis. So, unlike the LHD V-8, Ford had two options as to where to pass the four-cylinder air line through the firewall. Given the Company's ever-present objective to minimize costs by using no more material than was absolutely necessary, which hole do you think that they picked to minimize the distance (i.e. the length of the line) between the combined line routed on the right side of the chassis and the gauge on the instrument panel?
Oh NO!!!, A Test!

I would say. Into the oval shaped harness hole.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #55
DavidG

And you flunked. Routing through that hole would require a longer line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1378.jpg (131.6 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by DavidG; 04-17-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #56
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
And you flunked. Routing through that hole would require a longer line.
OHHH! OOOHHHHH!
Oh, The Shame of it ALL! The Shame of it ALL!!!
I thought the oval hole was closer to the fuel gauge
I should have known cram more stuff through the smaller hole.

Last edited by FrankWest; 04-17-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #57
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I have joined the small fuel line but it was copper ,I flared the new piece and soldered it over the old it worked fine ,About 35 years ago I brazed /silver soldered a copper fuel and air line together ,no sign of problems . as yet .I stand to be corrected but I seem to recall that the air line goes under the fire wall insolation at the left corner hole , must have been installed first ,Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:13 PM   #58
FrankWest

Flathead if that is true what you stated then there is no saving of tube length going thru either hole because: If you have to run the airline flat along the inside of the firewall that is the same length as running it flat along the outside of the firewall. The only real saving as David is proposing is the when we run the line on the diagonal..The hypotenuse rather than following the base and height of a triangle. Now I have to remove that grommet I just installed. Hopefully the airline connector will fit thru the hole without removing the choke cable and wiper airline. Physically the fuel gauge is much closer to the Oval cutout.

Last edited by FrankWest; 04-17-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #59
Steve Staysko

Well Frank I laughed at DavidG's comment you know the 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong. David would have been the kind of professor that I would have loved to have had when I was in University…. :-) Still laughing…..
Steve Staysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:40 AM   #60
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Staysko View Post
Well Frank I laughed at DavidG's comment you know the 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong. David would have been the kind of professor that I would have loved to have had when I was in University…. :-) Still laughing…..
I should have know that it had to go in the most difficult area possible.