Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
Barber31

Default Letting State officials drive your A

Sometime this week I will be letting a state inspector drive my A for the purpose of receiving a bonded title. The whole issue with that is very frustrating and ridiculous. On top of that, somebody who more than likely will not know how to operate my sedan , is going to attempt to drive it. More annoying. I'm still learning how to drive it properly and I've had half a year to practice. I'm afraid to see what happens. How do y'all deal with it when you have no choice but to let someone else drive your baby?
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Letting State officials drive your A

Just don't turn on the gas. Remind him he is responsible for broken transmission gears if he doesn't know how to drive a car without synchromesh. If he breaks the starter by trying to start without retarding the spark it is on him. Maybe you could convince him to just let you give him a ride.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Barber31

Haha. Denied!! Then I surely won't ever get a title.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
mshmodela

Bring a friend to video tape the event...
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
davehc

Barber 31 ,
This may sound like a dumb question , but why do they have to drive the car , and what is a "bonded title " ? What does this mean ? I'm from Michigan , and never heard of this , [ the bonded title part ] . We may have to have a car inspected for some reason , like lost title , ect. , but never heard of one having to be driven by a state inspector . I would try my best to find out if the person knows how to drive it first also , as mentioned . Good luck with it , let us know how it go's .
Dave
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
todd3131

I understand the bonded title but why is he driving it? Do you have safety inspections still?
Todd 3131
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
diomed

This reminds me of that movie "Indecent Proposal"
Old 04-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Barber31

The short version is a non titled out of state vehicle is a head ache to get bonded and titled. Basically a bonded title is a insured bond on a vehicle for 3 years or so. I need to pay x amount of dollars to get it insured for so many years just in case somebody in the past that owned it or had a lien on it pops up out of the blue. They would need proof of course. If that were the case I'm assuming worst case scenario they would try and take it away. After the 3 years or so it's legally mine free and clear. What the money goes to I don't know. And what it would cover I don't know. It's a very annoying situation.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
montanafordman

First ask if you can test drive his wife! When he says no, then say "then why don't you ride along while I drive. Ask all the questions you like." Honestly that would be my approach. I'm fine with letting friends try out my car (not my wife) with me riding shotgun, but since I hate bureaucracy, intrusion and being told what to do by the gubment I would certainly give em hell. (but that's just me)
Old 04-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Joe K

This will likely be one of those cases where he/she shows up but defers to you at the last minute.

Of course the paperwork will show he/she drove the car.

Maybe you'll be like me with my VIN inspection. She was a pretty cop and she was determined to get the numbers EXACTLY right under the droplight.

It took a long time. A lot longer than I expected.

She even commented how far back from the road my house was located.

"I never knew you were WAAY back here. Gee, you can hardly see the house from the road!"

Gosh I just can't read a signal when I hear one. I um, think she had the hots for me.

Socially inept I guess.

Joe K
Old 04-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
Barber31

In order for me to apply for all this there are multiple forms that need to be filled out. A State sheriff must verify nothing is stolen, pieced together, operable, completely intact, matching vin, and the most ridiculous of all what "style" the vehicle is. They need to determine if its going to be restored, custom, rat rod, or kit car. And it needs to have a original engine. What difference does that make? It can be converted to either one after the fact so it makes no sense. It also must be fully inspected including driving to verify all mechanicals are in proper working order.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
bikejunk

What if he"s a spry 80 year old that not only will show you how to shift but also how the to adjust the brakes and give proper hand signals
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #13
1930artdeco

At least here the great state of California the DMV lady took my word for it when I explained the 'vin' number. Thank God-she did not ask to verify it. I think when they get to your place they will more than likely go"aaahhh how about you drive and I ride along....." Most troopers will know when they are over there head about a vehicle. If they insist on driving it, then make them start from scratch and remind them if they break it they buy it.

Mike
Old 04-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #14
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Just don't turn on the gas. Remind him he is responsible for broken transmission gears if he doesn't know how to drive a car without synchromesh. If he breaks the starter by trying to start without retarding the spark it is on him. Maybe you could convince him to just let you give him a ride.

Charlie Stephens
I am with you Charlie. Kind of like this case but when I drove into a gas station in Oregon the station manager came out and told me I could not put gas in my A. I told him quite frankly that if he scratched the car, that if he put one drop of gas on my paint job, he would pay for it....he let me pump the gas!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
SkipShift

Maybe you could present a signed document that your car has been inspected by Ford dignitary.
SkipShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #16
ronn

the bonded title is the problem- no state inspector ever needs to drive your car with a "normal" title.
that is the route you chose to go with, so grin and bear it! as in growley bear!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #17
dumb person

In order to get mine road legal i had to let them drive it. They had no clue & gave up after 2 hours.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

With all the posts about titling and bonded titles this is the first I'm hearing about officials driving the car. Wonder what they do with trying to drive a T?
Old 05-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #19
Barber31

Not saying I would get the title the "other" way but what exactly do they do to get it? I've heard guys say " I know a guy who can get you a title" but I don't really know if they mean like they will do all the paperwork for me or they will forge a legal document with my info? All I really know is its expensive that way.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #20
Barber31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
the bonded title is the problem- no state inspector ever needs to drive your car with a "normal" title.
that is the route you chose to go with, so grin and bear it! as in growley bear!
Now that I think about it, anytime we take our newer vehicles in for annual inspection sticker the inspector does drive our car. Maybe thats just here in Texas. The Firestone I go to has a big parking lot so they just stay within the lot but where I'm having to go to this time has a pretty small parking area so I'm guessing they will take it down the street and back.