Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Don Turley's Venturi Removal Tool

Here are 2 pictures of the tool that Don Turley designed and built to remove a stuck venturi. I will have to copy and paste the body of the email that Don sent me, to give you the dimensions. This is just like the tool I planned to make someday, but thanks to Don, I won't have to reinvent the wheel.

Hi Tom,
Attached to this email are photos of the very simple tool that I made to remove a broken venturi from the bottom half of a Zenith Model A carburetor.

The body of the tool is a piece of 1-1/2" inside diameter pipe or tubing x 1-3/4" long. The ends of this piece of pipe are faced so that they are square to the axis of the pipe. On top of the piece of pipe is a piece of 1-3/4" diameter steel bar, 1/2" thick with a 17/32" hole drilled in the center. This piece is welded to the top of the pipe.

The puller plate is 1/2" thick with a 1/2" NF thread in the center. The large diameter is 1.182". The small diameter is 3/4". Shoulder is 1/4" thick.

The bolt is 1/2" NF x 3-1/2" long. If you can not easily obtain a NF bolt, then I guess a NC one would work, but just make sure the thread in the puller plate matches the bolt.

You have permission to post or publish the photos and details, if you so wish. If you do, please credit the source as Don Turley. Thanks.

With the exception of my cell phone number, you can find all of my contact information on my web site, www.donturley.com
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
RonC

Default Re: Don Turley's Venturi Removal Tool

heating the venturi with a propane torch will melt it quickly. It melts like solder and flows right off the casting without sticking. Can this tool save a stuck unbroken venturi??
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
RonC

I've had originals that were slightly swollen but unbroken that would be nice to save
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
heating the venturi with a propane torch will melt it quickly. It melts like solder and flows right off the casting without sticking. Can this tool save a stuck unbroken venturi??
I've removed broken venturi's this way. The venturi will really crackle and splatter, so be sure to wear a FULL face shield, leather gloves and leather apron.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Jim Parker Toronto

What happened to the pictures Tom, or am I missing something?
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
What happened to the pictures Tom, or am I missing something?
I see them?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

That is a beautifully made tool!
I made a VERY crude, nearly instant one at Home depot recently. It was just adequate for a lightly stuck venturi...
I found a fender washer that was just a hair smaller than the venturi and used a stack of them beyond the venturi, then added a length of all-thread and pulled down into a pipe nipple. This was shaky at best, and I would not have used it if a hard pull had proved necessary as the slight undersize of the washers might have cut into the venturi.
The basic setup is nice and simple, though, and is definitely capable of yanking an entire venturi.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

From my experience with my embarrassingly crude Home Depot one...ability to use the thing on an intact venturi (which is what I did with my plumbing department special) depends simple on the depth of the outer tube and the lenth of the pull screw. If making one, might as well make it to fit an intact stuck venturi.
Size of the pulling ram, the part that actually pushes/pulls on the venturi, is the critical dimension if pulling a good venturi that is tight. My crudity used an available stack of washers that was very slightly smaller than the throttle bore, resting just inside the venturi, and if my venturi had been stuck tighter than it was I would have had to either stop and make a properly fitted one or risk damaging the tapered part of venturi. If just yanking a boken stump, the improv one would do fine in all cases since grooving the venturi would be immaterial.
DT's tool is absolutely great...I think KR Wilson would have approved his standards.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
I guess that if I were making a new one and wanted to accomodate a stuck, unbroken venturi, in addition to making the tool slightly taller and using a longer bolt, I would machine the puller plate to better fit the taper of the lower end of the venturi. However, all that I have seen that were stuck had already broken.

Don Turley
www.donturley.com
That's also been my experience until the other day when I was working on the carb and the top half slipped right off, but the perfect venturi was stuck tight in the bottom half. Sure was nice that the propane torch and cold water worked great for me.

This winter I should find time to make a good tool like Don's.