Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default (Not Model A) Posts...

To begin with...this is what Ryan said a few days ago:

"This site should, in fact, focus on the stock and pure restoration. And we try to... However, there are sidebars... And I'm fine with that. So long as these sidebars don't run off the purists.

That's all..."

You can read anything you want into that, that "there are sidebars".

Whether the "sidebar" has to do with Street Rods; Assembly Lines (which are not Model A); the "end is near" post, meteorites, what ever...It is my opinion that "sidebars" could be almost anything (Not Model A).

As long as the original poster of the NOT MODEL A "sidebar" is kind enough to tells us so...NOT MODEL A! Therefore it is yours and my decision alone, if it sounds interesting enough, to see what the heck this NOT MODEL A post is all about...otherwise skip it.

For those of you who bashed Tom (mot) on his meteorite post, sounds to me you were interested enough to see what it was all about yourself...Bet you did not even know about it before hand...maybe you learned something then.

You have no idea what Mr. Moniz has to offer this fourm. NO IDEA AT ALL... I bet those of you who have had questions in the past (those of you doing the bashing), maybe, just maybe, you had a question or two at some point along the way where Tom was kind enough to give you the answer to your Model A Ford problem...and what do you do but bash one of the major contrubutors to this site because he issued a NOT MODEL A post and he even told you it was NOT MODEL A.

Are you so pure that you have never done the same thing in the past? Post a NOT MODEL A question? Get a life.

Some of you are so inconsiderate that you post NOT MODEL A questions without informing the fourm members that it has nothing to do with Model A"s. Praise the guys that do tell us beforehand!

Let Ryan be the judge of this.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 02-15-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
ford3

Default Re: (Not Model A) Posts...

what more can be said, if you dont like the posts dont read them, think twice before you bash some one, it could be you next
Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
pat in Santa Cruz

I'm interested in anything Tom has to say, A or not. You could not know a nicer guy or better informed one on many subjects, A and otherwise.. For that matter, I find many of the "sidebars" ( like dogs, meteors, other antique cars and trains) to be interesting chatter between friends who have Model A's in common. There's lots of "not A" talk at car shows and tours, so some here seems OK to me. Like Steve says, just move on if its not your cup of tea. But I also agree with Ryan that we should not let it overwhelm the central purpose of this board, which is Stock Models A's.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Mitch Bunkin in PA

I agree with Pat, Ford3 and Steve Plucker.

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
SDJason

My only request would be that folks PLEASE put enough in the Thread Title so that others can figure out what the post is going to be about without having to spend the time to click through to it...
Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
lance leblanc

I must have missed something, Ive been hiding in my bunker since watching Mot's meteiorite post.

All kidding aside, Well said Steve. IMHO some folks just want this forum to be run according to Rob's rule of order. Lighten up life is to short, we can all enjoy a occasional laugh and maybe share with others a personal side to who we are. I mean we all LOVE our A's but is that all there is that defines us.

"When Solomon said there was a time and place for everything he had not encountered the problem of parking his automobile." Bob Edwards
Old 02-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
stainless steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz View Post
I'm interested in anything Tom has to say, A or not. You could not know a nicer guy or better informed one on many subjects, A and otherwise.. For that matter, I find many of the "sidebars" ( like dogs, meteors, other antique cars and trains) to be interesting chatter between friends who have Model A's in common. There's lots of "not A" talk at car shows and tours, so some here seems OK to me. Like Steve says, just move on if its not your cup of tea. But I also agree with Ryan that we should not let it overwhelm the central purpose of this board, which is Stock Models A's.
I agree but...whats life without a little levity,a chuckle between friends,some recent news and/or a poke(Buster T) beside the car talk.Its all about making friends and learning a little about each other AND model As.Im here to learn about As becuase Im building one, not a fine points car but a nice car to drive and enjoy as safely as I can. Haters will /hate...Bashers will/Bash....they are everywhere you go ...so....
just my two cents worth
Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I can see where he was coming from, but remember the rest of Ryans quote not underlined by Pluck is, So long as these sidebars don't run off the purists.

There you have it.

I did not start this thread but here is once again another one about what should/should not be allowed from someone other than Ryan.

Here is my take, when in doubt on what to post, post what you want, Ryan will decide what will stay and what won't stay. Auto motive, any-motive, things from the time period. Get well wishes for members/families, how weather effected you and fellow owners.

But I believe that, "This site should, in fact, focus on the stock and pure restoration." pretty much says it all if you're in doubt. What we really need is a "free for all" section.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about, let's take the post in question. Notice the difference between 1 and 2;

1. Here is a video of the meteor.
2. Boris that owns a Fordor had the meteor debris his his home. He is checking on his friends to see what damage to their car may have occured. Here is a video of the meteor.

Again a "whats on your mind" section IMHO should solve the problems.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
Allanw

Maybe if things were consistent, and those who wish to follow Ryans wishes let HIM moderate what can and can't be posted, people would have some clue what was and wasn't allowed.

A LOT of the posts could be seen as Off-topic, if they are ONLY supposed to be about "stock restoration". How many posts on the active post list are 100% compliant with "purists doing stock restorations". Hardly any.

Nobody told me or the original poster off when we posted to the thread about turnsignals, me showing the additional lights I fitted. But you aren't allowed to post about a different intake manifold? or brakes?

They're all NOT STOCK.

Who are the moderators, and what isn't or is allowed?

What percentage of the cars on here are truely stock? (and before you answer that, stock can be taken to mean - "as it left the factory", NO variation).

I bet the VAST majority of the cars on here are slightly modified in some way - most owners wouldn't even know!

Powdercoating isn't stock, additional rust-proofing isn't stock, my tail lights aren't stock, thermostats aren't stock, modern sparkplugs aren't stock, air filters aren't stock, Modern Paint is not stock, some upholstery, floorboards, fanbelts, hoses, radiators, where is the line drawn?

Perhaps if people who don't like something DON'T read it, and RYAN can remove or close anything HE doesn't like, instead of the class snitch taking over. If Ryan doesn't have the time, he can approach people he trusts to moderate FOR him.

My car is NOT stock, and never will be. However, it is surprisingly original, it has no "performance" upgrades and probably never will. I'm going to make ply floor boards to replace the borer eaten ones etc.

Do I need to find another forum? I'm not interested in having a car we can't drive, because we worry about being rear-ended, or the hoses are too brittle to be reliable, and the fan-belt isn't old enough to be off the arc.

Does anyone really know what is allowed?
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
dave in australia

In the last few months, there has been a few grumpy post's about content. WHY? We come here as Model A owners and fans. Prior to a few months ago, no-one really got grumpy over post topics, unless it was political, religious or racist. Some topics were a bit off topic, but no-one seemed to care, or got frumpy enough to comment as such. My cure for this is for the grumpys to get in their A and go for at least a 3 hour drive. I find some posts slightly offensive, especially the foreign nation bashing that arises every so often, remember, Australia is a foreign nation to the USA. I just ignore these. We can be polite to newcomers and old hands on the site, if we think a post is too far off topic, as well as be polite in receiving some criticism as well. Being nice to each other doesn't hurt. Ahh well, the arvo cuppa is over, I'm going back to the shed to do more constructive stuff, as we all should.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanw View Post
Maybe if things were consistent, and those who wish to follow Ryans wishes let HIM moderate what can and can't be posted, people would have some clue what was and wasn't allowed.

Does anyone really know what is allowed?
There we go, someone that gets it! With the purpose of the site in mind, Post it if it even remotely Model A related and the moderator will take care of the rest!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in australia View Post
In the last few months, there has been a few grumpy post's about content. WHY? We come here as Model A owners and fans..
There has benn an increase in the number of none stock questions and those that want to restore their cars as close to as Henry wanted them. They fear they are being run off on one of maybe three site that specialize in stock restorations, especially since there is a plethera of sites for modified and customs cars.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #12
Tinker

I might pose the question that maybe ryan isnt standing over everything that is posted. He might even consider us big boys and we dont need to be handled like sheep. If its not apt, refer to what is. Might be that other site or sites hold the stock info in high regard but dont know. I bet there are guys that ask maybe, not so restoration questions, that drive more original cars.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #13
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
There we go, someone that gets it! With the purpose of the site in mind, Post it if it even remotely Model A related and the moderator will take care of the rest!!!
Although that can make a LOT of work for poor Ryan too! Hence the suggestion of "helpers" he can pick.

I think my post above sounded a bit grumpier than it was supposed to, as well
Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #14
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I might pose the question that maybe ryan isnt standing over everything that is posted. He might even consider us big boys and we dont need to be handled like sheep. If its not apt, refer to what is. Might be that other site or sites hold the stock info in high regard but dont know. I bet there are guys that ask maybe, not so restoration questions, that drive more original cars.
That's exactly right!

If Ryan doesn't want it, HE can moderate posts, or allocate the job to helpers.

Those who don't like it can always report the post, instead of jumping onto Ryans soapbox.

I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, but the site seemed to buzz along quite merrily until just recently. I'm very new here, but it seemed like a pretty cruisy place, not a stock/standard facist meeting place. There was certainly a stock/resto theme that was obvious.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Cabin fever, winter blahs, Model A withdrawl from long winter storage.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #16
CarlG

I've only been on The Ford Barn for a couple of years, but have gained a wealth of information over that period of time. Questions I have asked have been answered and have helped me in more ways that I can count. I have been able to share what little I know with others as well.

What concerns me now is that because of this "storm trooper" attitude by a few, many of the most knowledgeable guys around are slowly but surely deciding to collect their marbles and find another yard to play in or even just stay home.

That's sad
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 02-16-2013, 02:37 AM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
What concerns me now is that because of this "storm trooper" attitude by a few, many of the most knowledgeable guys around are slowly but surely deciding to collect their marbles and find another yard to play in or even just stay home.

That's sad
Some of the most knowledgeable Model A people answering on this site were driven from another site due to non A threads. They have nothing to prove and nothing to gain by posting here, but they do and they are invaluable to us and the restoration hobby. I saw them leave the other site and I don't want them to leave here and "just stay home". We already have had a couple leave here and they are staying home. We have had one remove his valuable site due to emails bashing his views on restoration and thank goodness his site is back up for all to use.

I have posted my thoughts on what I like to see on this site but I'm just a user and not a moderator and yes I do quote the owner often on what he thinks should be on his site.

Maybe on the top of fordbarn there should be the mission statement,

"This site focuses on the stock and pure restoration of the
Fords represented here on this site. Sidebars will happen and that if fine as long as these sidebars don't run off those who wish to restore their autos as they once came off the assembly line, that's all..."

So all know what is expected and they won't get too upset if their threads are closed of even removed.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
jimalabam

Well said Pluck and Tom. AND this is enought said...
Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #19
Cool Hand Lurker

You know, a dog fight never really ends.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
29ModelA

The bickering is what is going to run me off, I hate drama. I come here because 99% of my car is stock, the other sites don't know as much about the engine and stock driveline.

The whining makes me want to hod rod my car, when I originally had no intention too. Those guys at least have a lot thicker skin, and are far less judgmental on a website - and can scroll past threads they don't like.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
Closed Thread