Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2022, 03:57 PM   #1
GRutter

Default Paint for inside Oil Pan and Splashshield

I just blasted inside and out of an oil pan and both sides of the splash-shield for my Burtz build. Then got concerned about the paint holding up inside the engine.
Any recommendations on protecting the inside of the oil pan and splash shield?
Thank You
George
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:03 PM   #2
TMarsh

Default Re: Paint for inside Oil Pan and Splashshield

Inside of oil pan will be protected by engine oil. IMO I would leave it unfinished. As for the splash shield I am assuming you mean the shelf inside the pan that the rods pick up oil from, I would also leave that unfinished. If you are referring to the engine pans on the side of the engine I would powder coat them. IMHO
TMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:14 PM   #3
GRutter

Normally I would agree - but after freshly cleaning, was looking to coat to prevent surface rusting prior to assy. I could coat with Glyptal - was looking for other options.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:33 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The Burtz engine likely won't need the dipper wells. A person could drill holes in them to let the oil drain out. Keeping it just as a baffle should be OK. I have not seen them corrode all that much. Never painted one yet.

Glyptal seems to be what most folks use for the cast iron internals. It holds up to motor oil OK.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:00 AM   #5
JOHNCL

rotorwrench, the Burtz engine manual instructs that the dipper wells should be left as Henry made them.
JOHNCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:28 AM   #6
Dave in MN

The dipper tray is constructed with baffles spotwelded to the bottom. These baffles, where attached to the pan, have crevices that now likely have sand driven into them. The sand may be TEMPORARILY captured by residual oil. When the engine is warmed, and new oil makes its way into the crevices, the sand may release and make its way into your oil. Ouch---if you are not using an oil filter.

I don't let any blast media near the dipper trays in my shop.

Do as you wish though. Replacement dipper trays are plentiful. If you can't find one, PM me and I will send you a clean but unblasted one.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 06-19-2022 at 05:47 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:15 AM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNCL View Post
rotorwrench, the Burtz engine manual instructs that the dipper wells should be left as Henry made them.
The dipper tray is to stay in there in the Burtz engine so that the rods throw up an oil mist to help lubricate every moving part in there, so I have been told.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:38 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

The baffles on the bottom of the tray are essential to prevent the crankcase oil from sloshing too much and uncovering the oil pump pickup.

In a modern engine, the connecting rods have holes that spray oil upward to lubricate the cylinder walls and piston pins. If the Burtz connecting rods are of the OEM Model "A" / "B" type, then the troughs in the tray are necessary for splash lubrication of the cylinders and pistons.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:52 AM   #9
Big hammer

Coat the blasted bare metal with STP or steam clylinder oil
Old 06-19-2022, 10:33 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Ford Motor Company made the flathead V8 for a long time. They didn't start putting a sump baffle in till the 8BA era although they did experiment with them for a few years. They also didn't drill the tiny oil squirt holes in the con rods till half way through the 8BA era. The pans were deep enough not to have to worry about crankshaft windage (cutting through an oil bath). The Burtz engine is a full pressure engine so it doesn't need to rely on windage or dippers at all. The windage is just more drag on the crankshaft and the oil splash is really not necessary to keep things well lubricated. Leave them alone if you don't mind a lot of oil turbulence in there but that engine would run fine without all that oil splashing around. Enough oil exits the bearings during engine operation to provide some splash inside there.

Too much oil on the cylinder walls has a tendency to overload the old style oil control rings on many different older design engines. They need some lubrication but too much can do more harm than good in the long run. I don't know if the Burtz engine uses modern style oil control rings or not but they tend to control oil consumption pretty well. Even if they are used in this application, there is still no point in flooding them with oil.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 10:59 AM   #11
Jim Brierley

The dipper tray does not NEED to be in a Burtz engine, however it is a good idea to have it in there. With a totally stock-oiled B engine, and I'm sure with A's, oil will abandon the pump on sharp turns and hard acceleration. I use a gauge and am sure of this. I pop-rivet baffle extensions in front of and behind the pump to prevent this.
There is an amazing amount of oil splashing around inside the crankcase, you needn't worry about everything being lubricated.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:44 PM   #12
Joe K

Glyptol is the "par-excellance" oil casing interior paint finish.

It seals the case. Captivates any embedded sand from blasting. Gyptol is totally impervious to oil.

Most high end "blueprinted" engines are coated on the interior with Glyptol.

And Coal Fired Power Plant coal pulverizers (EL25) each take 1 gallon to coat the interior.

Joe K