Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2024, 10:51 AM   #1
46HARLEY

Default Headliner Ideas

Headliner in my 2 door sedan is not good. Removed it and found the the some wooden bows were repaired, not very well. Roof is fine, looking for suggestions on how to repair or replace bows. I do not want to remove roof. I have a few thoughts but would like to hear if you have done this, or ideas about how to go about it.
Thanks Larry
46HARLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:22 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Headliner Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46HARLEY View Post
...found the the some wooden bows were repaired, not very well.
Thanks Larry
So what is the problem with the bows? I doubt you can replace them without removing the top, but maybe there is a way.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 05:06 PM   #3
46HARLEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
So what is the problem with the bows? I doubt you can replace them without removing the top, but maybe there is a way.
They are split and patched, barely structural at all. I guess my plan is to make larger bows and router out to accept the broken bows. Captivating them and use construction adhesive. They will be wider and just a little thicker.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:57 PM   #4
29spcoupe

If you replace the cloth, use a brushed cotton. It is correct for headliners and also is lighter in weight and less likely to sag.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 06:30 PM   #5
46HARLEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29spcoupe View Post
If you replace the cloth, use a brushed cotton. It is correct for headliners and also is lighter in weight and less likely to sag.
Thanks, that was going to be my next question.
Old 02-12-2024, 06:38 PM   #6
wrndln

Assuming you don't want to remove the top, like you mentioned. If it were me, I would reinforce the damaged bows with somewhat thin sheetmetal which could be screwed to the side(s) of the bows. I believe all or most are the same size. If you were to make a pattern from the best bow and transfer the pattern to 18 gauge sheetmetal. Then cut the sheetmetal and attach it to the wood bows with wood screws. I suppose you could use 1/4" plywood, but it wouldn't be a strong. Remember, the flaps on the headliner attach to the sides of the bows, so you would want to apply the reinforcing material to the opposite side from where the headliner flaps attach.

Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:24 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Please, just consider doing the job correctly. Remove the roof where you have access to the entire top wood, and then fab/install new wood. This wood is part of the structural integrity of the body.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 06:56 AM   #8
ronn

I agree with Brent on this. do it right.

however, if I were cheating, Ild put a new set of bows either fore or aft and leave the old ones in place.

in construction known as installing a "sister joist"
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:41 AM   #9
46HARLEY

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I won’t be removing the roof, not opening up that can of worms. The roof is fine and after looking at a lot of pictures, some from Brent’s website, I believe my repair will be more than sufficient. My two hobbies were always old cars and wood working, first car I ever had where I can do both. When I get going on this I will get pictures. Larry
Old 02-13-2024, 02:55 PM   #10
ModelA29

Get a couple new bows. Bandsaw them down the center and scab them onto each side of the old ones with epoxy. There is thin epoxy that you can soak the ends of the ones in the car if they are rotten - since those ends will still be the main support. 100% "correct" repair - no but it'll get the job done and keep everything wood.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 07:43 AM   #11
rotorwrench

Adding to the sides of the bow members is going to change where the listing on the headliner attaches. It might stretch the material too far.

Wood members can be spliced but it would be necessary to redo the top either way. Also, it's not possible to tack or staple to steel reinforcements.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:40 PM   #12
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Adding to the sides of the bow members is going to change where the listing on the headliner attaches. It might stretch the material too far.

Wood members can be spliced but it would be necessary to redo the top either way. Also, it's not possible to tack or staple to steel reinforcements.

If you add 1/4" to each bow you just need to move the headliner forward or back 1/4". You could epoxy and clamp them to the existing bows without disturbing the top. Trim the ends to fit tightly to the sides rather than inletting them.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 07:53 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46HARLEY View Post
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I won’t be removing the roof, not opening up that can of worms. The roof is fine and after looking at a lot of pictures, some from Brent’s website, I believe my repair will be more than sufficient. My two hobbies were always old cars and wood working, first car I ever had where I can do both. When I get going on this I will get pictures. Larry

Larry, I guess I can see your point.

My point is/was we see all too many conversations about 'mess-torations'. A recent one is Wretched Roadster where things were either shoddily done or patched. For a little over $200.00 you can purchase a kit that has everything you need to replace your top.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 04:43 PM   #14
46HARLEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Larry, I guess I can see your point.

My point is/was we see all too many conversations about 'mess-torations'. A recent one is Wretched Roadster where things were either shoddily :confused done or patched. For a little over $200.00 you can purchase a kit that has everything you need to replace your top.
Well I completed my repair and am very happy with the results. I will not bother with any further explanation, because I am so sure they are inadequate. Thank you all for comments and for seeing my point