Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2024, 07:09 PM   #1
Willit Stop

Default garage/shop related...lights

I just finished up converting my 4 foot fluorescent garage lights to LED's. A very easy project. The cost was pretty cheap (Roughly 4 bucks each for a 20 pack 5000k through Amazon). What a difference! It's like being outside on a sunny day. Those LED's use about half the power and put out twice the light.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 07:29 PM   #2
rjlester

Default Re: garage/shop related...lights

Good to hear. I did the same thing a couple years ago. Found some locally for about the same price you paid. Another bonus is that in cold weather they don't need warm up time. I put some LEDs in my shipping container too and even at -30 they are instantly on.
rjlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 08:37 PM   #3
KiWinUS

Are they plug and play?
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 08:50 PM   #4
GB SISSON

I have the 30.00 twin light, no replacement fixtures. I had really cheapo fixtures for my flourescents and wanted to toss them. 50,000 hours claimed on my throw-away units, and yes, "Ive got sunshine on a cloudy day".
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 10:44 PM   #5
Newc

Electonic ballasts don't care. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 10:59 PM   #6
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Electonic ballasts don't care. Newc
True, but the bulbs care. Depends on the led bulb. Some need the ballast, some don’t, and some are damaged by them.

A true led light doesn’t need a ballast. I’d recommend removing the ballast to eliminate the hum when they’re cold and the higher energy draw with them even with led type bulbs.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 11:05 PM   #7
Eagle43

Changed mine to LEDs a couple of years ago. Mine have no ballasts and they work great. Only one is out so far.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 05:49 AM   #8
nickthebandit

I bought my LED lights from Harbor Freight several years ago. IIRC they were on sale for $ 10.00 each, so I bought 10 of them. So far, so good. As others have said, instant on, great lighting, no warm up time. I remember the florescent lights in my barn. When it was really cold, the lights just wouldn't light up at all, even after a few hours. now it is just a matter of flipping the switch. What a difference in lighting.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:56 AM   #9
ndnchf

I've bought a lot of Harbor Freight LED shop lights, mostly when they are on sale. They are in my garage and basement shop. They work great. Very happy with them.
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:57 AM   #10
Mac VP

We went from incandescent bulbs, to fluorescent tubes, to special fluorescent bulbs for cold weather, to LED fixtures in our unheated warehouse. The led lights have been the best for total light and operating costs. We did learn that the life of the LED lights was much better…..if we got in the habit of turning them all off when not in the warehouse. Since they light up brightly and instantly when turned on in cold weather there was no need to leave them on all the time during the winter.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 10:18 AM   #11
swedishsteel

I have 16 ceiling light fixtures in my shop, evenly spaced, 40x 60 area, 12 foot ceiling--all were 8 foot florescent, either high output T12 or t8. I converted 6 of the t12 with direct wire LEDs, the highest lumen I could find and the whitest light, I believe 6000K. Way brighter than fluorescent and I noticed the light bill isn't as high. Recently I found three and four panel LED's at Menards that screw into a regular bulb socket. I have replaced four of the florescents with them, and like them, but not as well as the eight footers because with the concentrated source of light, they produce shadows that sometimes are a nuisance. For instance I have one over my lathe and if I lean over close to look at what I'm working on I create a shadow, where as the eight footers spread the light out. Something to think about when choosing lights.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 11:54 AM   #12
Willit Stop

These are the led's I ordered:
https://www.amazon.com/Parmida-LED-E...077YV5J51?th=1
There is a video on the left side of the ad.
Money well spent.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 01:55 PM   #13
rjlester

The LED tubes I used required removing the ballast, and the amazon link above shows how I wired mine in the double ended fashion. It was really quite simple, and I'm glad to eliminate the ballasts. They are nothing but trouble and electricians for years have been tired of them.
rjlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 02:02 PM   #14
Karl Wescott

I am in the process of converting. The ones that are done work great. On some fixtures I had to replace the tombstones (ends), but no big deal. One limitation is some LED's have a limited spectrum so they may distort colors, if that is a concern consider mixing different brightnesses.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 02:54 PM   #15
34pickup

I also did this a few years back.Absolutely 100% better in every aspect. I love 'em. Anyone out there considering it, just do it, no regrets.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:41 PM   #16
rockfla

I did my shop shortly after buying my house about 4 years ago. I did ALL LED's via Amazon and wish NOW that a post like this would have been around as I would have gone a "slightly" different direction. As you can see I did the dual LED's up high, 12'6" and hung them down about 16" from there.....and it was definitely a great improvement over the fluorescent fixtures BUT it still was not what I would consider "Great" lighting. I saw the "UFO" style LED's on a day sale on Amazon and bought a 5pk and got to looking at my set up SO I went back and added both.....another set of dual LED's hanging about 7' from the floor running parallel to the sides of the vehicle for better lighting IF I was doing like a brake job or working on a rear axle in three of my bays BUT I also hung two UFO's down 7' from the floor at an angle inward for working under the hood of my vehicles an you can see the light they provide on the engine bay of my Jeep. Had I known, I would have used ALL "UFO style LED's" they way brighter light than the dual 5000 LED's. I also did not like the exposed linked wires SO I used 3/4 PVC pipe and cut them to length between the linked lights and covered the link wires to clean the look up a bit!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GarageLED5.jpg (83.7 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg GarageLED6.jpg (84.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg GarageLED1.jpg (50.6 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg NewOxbowLights1.jpg (46.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg NewOxbowlights5.jpg (87.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg NewOxbowlights4.jpg (41.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg NewOxbowlights2.jpg (86.1 KB, 42 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:53 PM   #17
ct1932ford

Changed all my garage shop, lights to LED last year. Best thing I ever did. Just a quick rewire and eliminate ballast. 10 fixtures on 14' ceiling .
Old 01-21-2024, 05:01 PM   #18
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
I did my shop shortly after buying my house about 4 years ago. I did ALL LED's via Amazon and wish NOW that a post like this would have been around as I would have gone a "slightly" different direction. As you can see I did the dual LED's up high, 12'6" and hung them down about 16" from there.....and it was definitely a great improvement over the fluorescent fixtures BUT it still was not what I would consider "Great" lighting. I saw the "UFO" style LED's on a day sale on Amazon and bought a 5pk and got to looking at my set up SO I went back and added both.....another set of dual LED's hanging about 7' from the floor running parallel to the sides of the vehicle for better lighting IF I was doing like a brake job or working on a rear axle in three of my bays BUT I also hung two UFO's down 7' from the floor at an angle inward for working under the hood of my vehicles an you can see the light they provide on the engine bay of my Jeep. Had I known, I would have used ALL "UFO style LED's" they way brighter light than the dual 5000 LED's. I also did not like the exposed linked wires SO I used 3/4 PVC pipe and cut them to length between the linked lights and covered the link wires to clean the look up a bit!!!!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 04:30 PM   #19
wga

@Kiwi - most of them are plug and play. Get the daylight type. I have 16 4 foot lamp boxes with 4 tubes each. What a huge difference. Did some research. Easy to replace, mobetter lighting, less energy costs, 6 years and no problems.