Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
raybee

Default Used Factory Ford American Blocks

Why all this talk about new blocks at $3,000 to $7,000 each? I have seen guys pass up good machine shop inspected, never bored , ready to machine, 8BA blocks with only a couple of FORDS patented head stud to water jacket cracks at $500.00. What am I missing? What are these blocks worth? Good ones are still out there. What does it take to certify a block as a good buildable core? Thanks for all input. Ray
raybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
aonemarine

Default Re: Used Factory Ford American Blocks

Ray, don't over think things....
aonemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonemarine View Post
Ray, don't over think things....
Or, put another way,

Don't believe everything you think.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:00 PM   #4
vtwinsideways

For those with no patience, money is used as a substitute. For those with no money, patience is requisite. Luke
Old 06-28-2016, 11:48 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybee View Post
What does it take to certify a block as a good buildable core? Thanks for all input. Ray
Pressure test and magnaflux for a stock or mild performance rebuild. Add in sonic cylinder wall testing for high performance.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
raybee

Good blocks are hard to find. What are they worth when you do find them. I have been there and done that buying a pig in a poke. I have heard many stories regarding this. Just would like to know their value. Ray
raybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:48 PM   #7
19Fordy

Yes, you can find a good block, but it seems like it's always on the other side of the country.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:50 PM   #8
slowforty

Look for a Guy on the opposite end of the country. I live in Illinois I am Screwed.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:30 AM   #9
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybee View Post
Why all this talk about new blocks at $3,000 to $7,000 each? I have seen guys pass up good machine shop inspected, never bored , ready to machine, 8BA blocks with only a couple of FORDS patented head stud to water jacket cracks at $500.00. What am I missing? What are these blocks worth? Good ones are still out there. What does it take to certify a block as a good buildable core? Thanks for all input. Ray
Hey Ray, probably the new block talk is a reaction to fill a growing niche. Ford Motor Company continuously improved the Flathead throughout its lifespan.

I think maybe the availability of a new block with some sensible improvements that don't detract from it visually might be a good thing going forward.

Certainly an original block can serve the need for most street applications. It's the finding of good rebuildable cores that is becoming harder. Surely some have a stash of good blocks. The Flathead to its credit is rugged and most cracks can be repaired.

It's not just cracks though. It's any number of things such as prior machine work such as overboring, several valve jobs in, rusty water jackets etc. Now don't get me wrong I have and many people are more than happy to deal with these issues because we love these things.

It's just maybe we oughta think about the next step, the future of Ford V8ing.

Some people love to tear down the Flathead Ford V8 as an outdated engine that doesn't make power and why waste money when you can just put a Chevy in it?

I ask what antique engine and car combination can even come close to the Ford V8's for beauty, fun and sportiness for the dollar?

Certainly there were other magnificent cars built during that era but just like then those were the playthings of the rich. Fords like they did when they were new and to this day put fun and performance in the hands of the average person.

Why not insure a robust future for the Ford V8? Why not take what we have learned over the years and apply it to an improved version of our great basic engine? Ford would have done so.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote