Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Charles Reese

Default Running Board Paint

Would be interested in ways folks use to protect the paint on their running boards from day to day use stepping in/out. I have a set of running board step plates but my research suggests these were not introduced until after my January 28 vehicle was produced and might not judge well. In addition I can’t muster the courage to drill holes in my very nice boards. I am thinking about a piece of carpet cut to the width/length of the board (or a bit larger than the step plates) but cant figure how they would stay put while driving. Am also concerned the jute (sp?) or rubber backing might act like sandpaper against the paint.
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Running Board Paint

Charles Reese ........................
You will probably just have to keep stepping over them. As the old saying goes, "You can't have your cake and eat it too".
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reese View Post
these were not introduced until after my January 28 vehicle was produced and might not judge well.
DO NOT put on step plates and plan on having your car judged..you are looking at a red flag for sure,,, YES you can have authorizes acessories but trust me you are raising a red flag and the lines of the A are so nice, why drill into those boards,,, So they get a bit scratched after you have the car judges..So be it ...it is a Model A and like my friend at Flick said... He built his car to "Show and Go". enjoy!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

I simply avoid wearing any kind of cleats! It's also wise to avoid shoes that pick up rocks. Other than that I don't worry too much. It's rubber.

Oops! I forgot about commercial running boards!!! There is definitely an issue there.

Last edited by Marco Tahtaras; 07-03-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Marco Tahtaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
pat in Santa Cruz

I am making the assumption you have a pickup with metal running boards since you refer to the paint. I was wondering the same thing about the pickup and AA truck I am restoring. I was thinking of looking at one of those magnetic signs I see on car doors for advertising. I think they are made of that magnetic rubber stuff I have seen on refrigerator door stickers. I was thinking I could get some of the large size from the sign guys, cut it to fit the running board, and stick it in place. I don't know if it will stick well enough to resist the wind getting under the mat because of the diamond pattern cleats though. It might be worth a try.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i always step over mine and this way i dont scuff the apron either. usually the only time they get stood on is when some kid decides to get a closer look at a show.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Charles Reese

its a 28 pickup .. no rubber .... just nice shiny (for now) paint ... thought about going with powder coat but not sure that would hold up any better than the modern catalyzed paint ..
Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
pat in Santa Cruz

I was privately messaged from a fellow who says the magnetic signs have caused rust on the doors of his company cars. So its probably not a good idea. Back to stepping over.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
CWPASADENA

Powder Coat will scratch, just like paint.

I just step over them, been doing it for years. Actually, I find it easier to get in and out of the car then steping on the running boards.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
CWPASADENA

Thumbs up Re: Running Board Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
DO NOT put on step plates and plan on having your car judged..you are looking at a red flag for sure,,, YES you can have authorizes acessories but trust me you are raising a red flag and the lines of the A are so nice, why drill into those boards,,, So they get a bit scratched after you have the car judges..So be it ...it is a Model A and like my friend at Flick said... He built his car to "Show and Go". enjoy!
I agree, I think Step Plates look STUPID on a Model A.

Actually, I am not in favor ao a lot of aftermarket accessories on the Old Fords. I like the looks of them just as Henry built them.

Just my Opinion,

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz View Post
I was privately messaged from a fellow who says the magnetic signs have caused rust on the doors of his company cars. So its probably not a good idea. Back to stepping over.
Those magnetic signs are not meant to be on the vehicle forever. They will screwup up your paint if your not removing them and cleaning the back of the magnet and the place where it goes at least monthly.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
TedG

I used to just step over my nice smooth painted running boards on my street rod but now that the old arthritis is getting worse I find I can no longer do that so I cut a piece of foam carpet padding and put that on the board to step on then just pick it up and stash it behind the seat.
The foam I used is a different color on each side so I just make sure I always put the same side toward the board, the car is painted with a catalized urethane and I haven't noticed any problems.
Kids, jeez they're not only at car shows, I took my car to go to breakfast one morning and shortly after I ordered a friend showed up and told me he just yelled at some kids that were using my front fender as a sliding board!!!
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
Kevin in NJ

The modern paints are pretty hard if done right.

I would think they would last quite a long time and will buff out if you need.

That being said.

You have seen some of the cars they do full body graphics to these days. These sign companies have a material that conforms to details and sticks for a long time. It also comes off easy. I heard that companies like the electric company that use the horrible safety colors buy cars with normal colors. They then get the cars coated with safety colored sticky plastic. When it is time to sell the car they peel off the safety color and have a normal color. Maybe you can get some of that plastic to conform and cover the RB and change it when it gets bad?
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
Rich in Tucson

How about this - take a 1:1 photo of the running board pattern and print it on magnetic sign material made for ink-jet printers. Laminate it or maybe spray a few coats on of a compatible clear finish, cut to fit, and then only use it when needed. Have to say though that the old paint on mine has held up very well with all the grit (and use) it sees here.
Rich in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #15
2manycars

The only problem I see is when people prime the running boards with red primer, then paint black. The tops of the diamonds get worn eventually,and the red shows, and looks bad. I use black DP90, then black DCC9300, and it wears good. If your car is a trailer queen trophy getter, then step over the boards. If not, just use them as Henry intended. You can always re spray them later.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #16
Doug in NJ

How did the original owners deal with this when the cars were new?

Doug
Old 07-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #17
1931 flamingo

Doug in NJ: They weren't worried about fine point judging.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #18
Gary Karr

Charles, I recommend that you paint your running boards with PPG Concept. It is tough as nails and can be easially touched up. As mentioned above, power coating will scratch as well but you can't touch them up. also, you want the paint on the running boards to match the paint on the fenders and aprons.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #19
Doug in Maryland

I'll vote for painting with DPLF90 epoxy primer (black) and then top coating with Concept black. I did that with my AA running boards 6 years ago and they still look good. Like was mentioned previously, if you wear through the top coat on the tops of the diamonds, then the black eopxy primer won't really show. But the Concpet is really tough and should hold up for quite a while.
Doug in Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #20
Charles Reese

thanks for all the ideas ... i have been using the dark DPLF90 epoxy primer followed by Concept 9300. will break my heart the first time i skin up that pretty shine!!