Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
waterboychuck

Default Hagerty's Insurance

Yesterday, I received an email from Hagerty’s stating that I owed money on my policy. I then looked in my file for them and saw that I paid this policy in full last month. I decided to call and find out what was going on. The rep told me that in looking at my policy I owed $5.00. I asked why and she explained to me that when I cancelled one car and added my F1 the dollar value was greater on the F1, and since I had 2-3 weeks left on that policy that was the difference. I told the rep that I did pay my policy in full and had an email to prove that and could she/they wave the $5.00. She said she had to talk to her manager and left the phone. Moments later she came back and said that the manger would not wave the charges. I then told her to cancel my policy. So now I’m in the market for another insurance company. Any suggestions
Old 07-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
billwill

Default Re: Hagerty's Insurance

I wouldnt let 5.00 stand my way It will cost to find another company You had a very good company Bette luck
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
Oakhurst

I also had a strange issue with Hagerty. I called them to cancel one car I had sold. The rep said to wait one month to cancel, until my policy expired, because my premium for the 4 remaining cars would go UP $150. He could not explain it. It was the lowest price car of the 5. The only thing I could figure was now my "driving time" would be split between the higher priced cars. I'm still with them with 9 cars. I had one claim and they were great!
Oakhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
chap52

American Family Insurance carries a very reasonably priced Antique Vehicle policy if you are not using your F-1 as a daily driver. I have never had to file a claim but it is full coverage and priced right.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:15 PM   #5
Ford Freak

J C Taylor - have had them for years , never a problem .
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
hotrodA

Grundy is mine.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:04 PM   #7
47 flatbed

J C Taylor been great
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
al's28/33

If you had a veteran Rep on the phone they would have worked with you.......you probably had a newbie and she couldn't see beyond her nose to over-ride the computer math.....try calling back to discuss with a more senior official
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #9
46ford

As cheap as Hagerty is I wouldn't worry about $5. I'll hopefully never find out how they pay claims; I'm not one to claim every scratch or dent like some folks do. I carry insurance to be legal and cover a total loss.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #10
LuckyFordGuy

Grundy is very good had them for years one claim took very good care of me Rog
LuckyFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #11
D. Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46ford View Post
As cheap as Hagerty is I wouldn't worry about $5. I'll hopefully never find out how they pay claims; I'm not one to claim every scratch or dent like some folks do. I carry insurance to be legal and cover a total loss.

I have only been with them, Hagerty's, for only a few months and have a claim for smoke damage to my pickup from a recent garage fire. I was too busy to do more than call them and explain the damage. They sent out an estimator to asses the damage and offered to have the truck towed to a local restoration shop if i didn't have time to deal with it. They have kept in touch with me and have called and stated they are sending a check to me based on the estimate and told me that if the cost of the repairs exceeded the estimate to call and they would send the estimator back to the shop to work out payment details.

I'm one very happy Hagerty customer!!!
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #12
Jeff/Illinois

I've had Hagerty and Grundy, both easy to deal with.

Yeah, for the sake of five bucks I would have just antied up the cash and forgot about it. I don't think they were trying to stiff you just a cost of doing business.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #13
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

Yeah, for the sake of five bucks I would have just antied up the cash and forgot about it. I don't think they were trying to stiff you just a cost of doing business.
I totally agree.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #14
46ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Jones View Post
I have only been with them, Hagerty's, for only a few months and have a claim for smoke damage to my pickup from a recent garage fire. I was too busy to do more than call them and explain the damage. They sent out an estimator to asses the damage and offered to have the truck towed to a local restoration shop if i didn't have time to deal with it. They have kept in touch with me and have called and stated they are sending a check to me based on the estimate and told me that if the cost of the repairs exceeded the estimate to call and they would send the estimator back to the shop to work out payment details.

I'm one very happy Hagerty customer!!!
Just curious, how many claims can you make before they cancel you? I know they asked about claim history when I signed up.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #15
waterboychuck

Thanks for all your comments. To me it's the principle of the thing. Why didn't they just add that to my current policy, and why didn't they just wave that charge? If I had a claim right now would they honor it as I owe $5.00?
Old 07-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #16
40cpe

States have varying laws regarding liability of insurance companies to their customers. If you have told then to cancel your insurance over a $5 premium issue, what would you expect them to do if you filed a claim? How long has it been since you told them to cancel? Have they refunded your money/credited your credit card? There might be some legal requirements on their part, but if not, how could your expect coverage?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #17
1931 flamingo

X2
Paul Heck a coffee at StarXXXXs is about $5
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #18
joe 1950

ive had hagerty insurance 10 years never a problem had one claim when a wind storm came up and some ones umbrella scratched my deck lid they paided the 800 to repair it and told me if I wasn't satisfied with the color match they would go farther with the repaint if needed but as it was everything worked out great had jc taylor before that one year they didn't send me a renewal statement I went 1 year without insurance when I realized it and called I was told they would have covered me anyways ya right
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #19
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboychuck View Post
Thanks for all your comments. To me it's the principle of the thing. Why didn't they just add that to my current policy, and why didn't they just wave that charge? If I had a claim right now would they honor it as I owe $5.00?
You can stand on principle all you want, but cancelling a policy from a good company like Hagerty is foolhardy. They adequately explained the $5 billing. Insurance companies do talk to each other and if you leave owing a lousy $5 that may follow you to the next company. Your reputation has to be worth more than $5.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:31 PM   #20
Hoop

"To me it's the principle of the thing."

1. What principle? You got something. You should pay for it.

2. I'll bet you haven't read your policy. There is certain automatic coverage for a replacement auto ... when you sell one and buy another. Good idea to read and understand it.

3. The claim service I've seen from Hagerty has been outstanding. Recently a buddy had his car damaged during transport. Trucker's insurance offered to pay about 75% of the claim. Buddy called Hagerty who had agreed to cover the newly-purchased car under a "binder" ... all paperwork had not been done.

My buddy called Hagerty ... they said, "We're sending you a check for your estimated amount of damage AND WE'LL HANDLE MATTERS WITH THE TRUCKER'S INSURANCE COMPANY.

Actual cost of repairs was hundreds less than the Hagerty payment, but still much more than the trucker's offer. My buddy sent Hagerty back the unused cash difference.

How many of us would have done that? THAT is principle.

Over 20 years with J.C. Taylor. Outstanding. Antique auto insurance is one of the best deals going. It will be killed by guys who rip off the companies by lying about the usage of their cars, using them as daily drivers. Whether they get in a wreck or not, they have the coverage ... and the company will pay regardless.

The claims that any antique auto insurer has denied are extremely rare.

Everyone should read his policy. It tells you what you are buying. It's a bargain.

I would call Hagerty, apologize and explain that you were just having a bad day.