Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
1936coupe

Default slight water pump squeak?

hi i have a slight squeak from both pumps on a 21 stud 37 engine,there are no water leaks, it stops if you spray a little wd40 until it dries out, can you grease from the outside? or put anything in rad? thanks vic.
1936coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
oldskool

Default Re: slight water pump squeak?

i had the same thing with my 59AB ,i would spray the belt with wd40 and the squeek would stop only to return a short time later,the belt looked new ,i bought a new belt and no more squeeking,so try a new belt...
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
raceron1120

Remember the old stick of belt dressing? Rub it along the belts while running & squeaks would stop. I don't know if that stuff is even available anymore.

Lots of time the belts just have a glaze on them, scuffing or rubbing them with something mildly abrasive to break the glaze will eliminate the squeal.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
1936coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
i had the same thing with my 59AB ,i would spray the belt with wd40 and the squeek would stop only to return a short time later,the belt looked new ,i bought a new belt and no more squeeking,so try a new belt...
thanks have a new belt will try it.
1936coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
G.M.

Water pump lubricant only lubricates the seal and seat, nothing else. There is a fiber washer behind the pulley. When the engine RPMs are increased the shaft, pulley and seal all move forward. When forward the fiber washer is not in contact with the pulley or front of the casting around where the bushing is as the pulley and shaft are slung forward from centrifical force. As the RPMs come back near Idle speed the spring on the seal moves the shaft and pulley back, at this time the fiber washer is in contact with the back of the pulley and front of the pump on original type pumps from 32 to 48. You can pull the pulleys forward and they should snap back, do this 10 or 12 times every month to keep the crud from packing in the spring. This crud holds the seal in a fixed position when it gets bad and the seal leaks. The squeak if it comes from other then the belt is someone left the fiber washer out or it wore out. This washer will be lubricated by a small amount of oil from the shaft. The other thing is lack of lurication to the shaft and bushing. I have seen several "dry shafts" from closeing off the oil hole on the face of the block to the pump with silicon sealant and shafts that were not fit properly to the bushings. Shafts that are put in a pump and are not reamed for oil clearance gaul the shaft, they don't wear in when to tight. G.M.

Last edited by G.M.; 05-15-2010 at 07:09 PM.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
01aford

GM is right. I've seen so many people use permitex on the waterpump gasket. Big mistake. This pumps have oil holes and permitex blocks the hole. No lube and the bearings will wear out. No permitex is used in flatheads. Grease is used.
01aford is offline   Reply With Quote