Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2024, 12:17 PM   #101
sidevalve8ba

Default Re: Troubleshooting Transmission '47 pickup

If you can get those numbers I have a chart that will tell us what those ratios are.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:18 PM   #102
GB SISSON

Hopefully he gets back to me. The T5 became more intriguing once I decided I could make an access hatch in the floor. Also, the old VW bug bucket seats should allow shifting access and they unbolt easy for the swap. Does my original '47 pickup crossmember remain intact and just where the transmission mounts get altered? If the driveshaft needs to be shortened, I'm pretty familiar with doing that here.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM   #103
GB SISSON

I called Les at the machine shop and he said the office called me ten days ago to say it was ready. (My kids say "Dad you have like 322 unread messages on your phone". I'm not very good with that aspect. Just made ferry reservations to go off island on Tuesday for the pick-up. .125 over, deck block,merc pistons,pins and rings, 16 hard seats, new pin bushings in the rods, flywheel surfaced. I have bearings and gaskets here. Oh, and the guy with the T5 is gonna check tonight when he gets home. I could get that while I'm on the mainland. Too bad my wife is coming with me Just kidding. Sort of.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 03-15-2024, 09:17 AM   #104
GB SISSON

T5 guy says the plate is not there, but he sent pics of the casting numbers here and there. Doubt they'd help. For my purposes, does it really matter? I'm not doing this for the OD, and the low is bound to be lower than my 3 speed. Correct?
Old 03-15-2024, 10:36 AM   #105
sidevalve8ba

Too bad the tag is missing but low gear is either 4.03 to 1 or 3.76. On the other end overdrive is either .86 or .72.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:42 PM   #106
GB SISSON

Thanks, I actually think any of those will work. At least it's from a mid 90's S10 and has the fwd shifter. Gonna watch part one of 'installing a T5 into a 1946 1/2 ton ford pickup ' on youtube. Should be an education.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:31 AM   #107
Als48

GB, I installed an S-10 T5 in my '48 sedan behind a non-flathead engine several years ago. I bought a transmission mount for mine, but it needed modification. I think it was made for a '40 frame. Yours is likely different, but I'm sure you can figure it out. The '48 car frame is quite different, I believe, having the X-frame that mounted the front and rear wishbones as well as the trans/driveshaft torque tube. Your truck has an open rear end, right? Not sure you'll have a rear transmission mount, but it must have something.

Al H
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 01:18 PM   #108
GB SISSON

Yes, the jailbar years got totally modern with open driveline, and four leaf springs running fore and aft. There is a rear crossmember for the transmission, but in the 2 part video I just watched, they cut the center (12"? or so) totally out with a sawzall and installed a bolt in tubular crossmember for the rear of the T5. With the pedals mounted to the partial crossmember, I would at least triangulate that section with steel, welded up real sturdy-like. I think the new crossmember needs to bolt in and out for service. I have lots of steel scrap here for stuff like that. The swap with that nice cast aluminum adapter looks pretty straightforward.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:51 PM   #109
GB SISSON

The ad for the T5 said it was rebuilt 50,00 miles ago, but talking to the guy he said it was 150,000 miles ago and the ad was a typo. So I passed. That's ok for now. I talked to Les again today because we didn't talk cam bearings on Friday and I wanted to make sure he did them. Same thing with surfacing the flywheel. And yes, he did both. I plan to start a new thread when I begin assembly on this engine and as previously stated, I have never put an engine together with so many parts all from different engines, and then install into a different series/year of truck than the engine was built for. I still need one truck water pump, or should maybe get a new pair. I also have some questions about the oil pan and the aluminum section that holds the seal. I might have 2 different versions of this. Anyhow, we will be back on the island late tomorrow night, so will likely start this new thread on Wednesday.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:03 PM   #110
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
T5 guy says the plate is not there, but he sent pics of the casting numbers here and there. Doubt they'd help. For my purposes, does it really matter? I'm not doing this for the OD, and the low is bound to be lower than my 3 speed. Correct?
GB SISSON ..... Your low (1st gear) is going to be either a 2.82, -OR- 3.114. And you're correct - those cast-in numbers have nothing to do with the application on a T5.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:57 PM   #111
38 coupe

As mentioned once before in this thread, Ford made a set of gears for the three speed with a 3.52 first for use in pre-war 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I thought someone early in this thread had one they would part with. Gears should be affordable since you are the only one who wants that ratio.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote