Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2023, 04:02 PM   #1
Brokenvette

Default Hershey

Who is going to Hershey this year? Been going since 76. Only missed one year then the covid years. Wish it would be better organized with not so many people using spaces for parking. Makes it twice as hard to cover the entire fields.Should have designated areas of each just for vendor parking. I said to my wife last year that it might be my last. She said right!!! So here we go again.
Brokenvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 08:40 PM   #2
180 a

Default Re: Hershey

We go every year have spaces on Green field
180 a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 07:18 AM   #3
Wick

Chocolate field. CJ -71-73
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 08:24 AM   #4
Tim Ayers

Orange Field for me.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 10:59 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenvette View Post
Who is going to Hershey this year? Been going since 76. Only missed one year then the covid years. Wish it would be better organized with not so many people using spaces for parking. Makes it twice as hard to cover the entire fields. Should have designated areas of each just for vendor parking. I said to my wife last year that it might be my last. She said right!!! So here we go again.
For many, attending Hershey is about the 'experience'. Hershey has changed dramatically, -and the hobby has changed so much with regards to sourcing parts where it not a value for me to attend Hershey any longer. I think many vendors feel the same way as the hassle of selling parts there and dealing with Pennsylvania Dept. of Revenue have made it more appealing to just use their space to park on for convenience.

So the bottom line (-for me anyway) is I only attend Hershey for the purpose to get physical exercise, -and see friends. Any 'deal' anyone feels they might received there is quickly offset by the costs associated with attending (-travel, fuel, lodging, food, etc.). Realistically, if you are searching for Model-A parts, then sourcing it thru the want ads here or on social media, -or by a phone call to Steve Becker is your best option(s). If you are just wanting to attend a swap meet to have the experience, then attending the Model-A swap meet at Gilmore, or the Luray PreWar swap meet, -or other very small Model-A only swap meets in KY, OH, SC, or ?? is a much better option IMHO. Less wasted time walking, and the same quality parts for generally less money.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 06:51 AM   #6
Wick

Chasing ss cars swap meet in western Virginia has 3 meets a year,good Model A stuff. Luray is loaded with A parts. At Hershey I look for certain oil cans, purchase supplies from Eastwood, 3rd Generation, sandpaper,Tires,pick up parts from Dennis carpenter. I look for Original, light switches for a $1, cutouts,zenith carburetor parts,Marvel carbs. Visiting old Friends and making new ones is are always fun. This year no camping for me,so many rooms available close by I'm giving that a try. ($130 a night 6 miles away) We are less than 2 months away now!!!
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 07:16 AM   #7
Oldbluoval

They say you’re getting old when you like everything the way it used to be! Well put me there!

I’m 100% with Brent on this. The ship has basically sailed on finding necessary/needed parts.(albeit I need NOTHING) I lose a week in the shop so loss of work/time plus out of pocket makes it a poor business decision. Granted, not everything has to “bottom line”….
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 05:41 PM   #8
Dr Foot

I've been going nearly every year for the past 40 years and always seem to find the parts I need...not so lucky when it rains.
Dr Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 07:22 AM   #9
ronn

interesting to hear everyones opinion on Hershey. It is generally discussed yearly and I am in Brents and Bills camp. Dollar wise it just isnt worth it, esp after the price increases of everything in the last few yrs regarding "covid". Gas, tolls, tax revenue, food etc. has taken its toll.

With that said, Wick I thoroughly enjoy hearing about your escapades at all of the meets and love to hear of your "finds".
I guess it comes down to a financial approach or just having "fun" and to heck with the value of it all.........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 07:29 AM   #10
mhsprecher

I wouldn't miss it. I love the car show and enjoy walking the flea market. I live fairly close and camp, so the costs are reasonable. I always bring home something of value.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #11
Brokenvette

As I live on the Al. gulf coast there are no clubs near or any swap meets. So Hershey is a vacation treat in a way. Get to see some friends on the way up and some old ones at the meet. Found a good Sportlight for my 31 roadster last year. Made my day. Working on an open cab pickup now. Will be looking for show specials tires etc.
Brokenvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 12:10 PM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
interesting to hear everyones opinion on Hershey. It is generally discussed yearly and I am in Brents and Bills camp. Dollar wise it just isnt worth it, esp after the price increases of everything in the last few yrs regarding "covid". Gas, tolls, tax revenue, food etc. has taken its toll.

With that said, Wick I thoroughly enjoy hearing about your escapades at all of the meets and love to hear of your "finds".
I guess it comes down to a financial approach or just having "fun" and to heck with the value of it all.........
Yep. It's only money and they are still making more. You only live once and we're not getting any younger. Can't take it with you when you go. Yadda, yadda
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 04:03 PM   #13
Oldbluoval

When you start getting up in years and talents and energy begin to diminish…..you have to be careful of allocation of time. At age 75, I have about 20 years of projects. I’ll have to be one tough geezer to get all done!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote