Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
MrWzrd
BANNED

Default Cutoff for EARLY 28 is where?

The thread title is the question.

When is a car an early 28 and when is it not?

I'm having a bit of difficulty as I keep getting late 28 parts only to find I need early parts.. then having to wait for the correct part.

Tank date is 12/4/28 so I am "assuming" that it could not have been made prior to that date and I don't consider that date to be early 28.

I've read the mess about engine numbers, frame numbers, body numbers, tank numbers and the manufacturing process backwards and forwards trying to make sense of this... It just doesn't.

What give?

Last edited by MrWzrd; 10-18-2013 at 11:33 AM.
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
jkeesey

Default Re: Cutoff for EARLY 29 is where?

Maybe your car has been a bit pieced together. My mentor has a june 28 roadster pickup and it has the early A but not AR parts.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Ron in Quincy

Default Re: Cutoff for EARLY 28 is where?

With a gas tank date of 12/4/28, using the 60 day rule, your A could have been built as late as 2/4/29. If your A has not been built from parts, you should also have a Drum tail light and one blub head lights with fluted head light lens. Your frame number would be the best way to determine date.

What is your engine number ? If you find the engine number and frame number are the same then you can be more positive about date of A.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
newshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
What is your engine number ? If you find the engine number and frame number are the same then you can be more positive about date of A.
Early or late is somewhat subjective and perhaps irrelevant. Once you know the exact manufacturing date of the car, you can use the Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards to know exactly which parts to look for or specify when buying. Use this lookup tool below to find the exact date based on the frame number.

http://www.modelahouse.com/cgi-bin/enumbers/numdate
Old 10-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Rowdy
BANNED

I sure would not call it a cutoff as the early 28 parts were a gradual fazing out of early parts. Most of the early parts discintued by May of 28. Later on commercial vehicles. I have see the left hand brake handle on AA's as late as January of 29. Rod
Old 10-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
V4F

was there a wiring change from early '28 to '31 ?
I have a wiring harness that doesn't match any wiring diagrams .... color code is all wrong .......
Old 10-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4F View Post
was there a wiring change from early '28 to '31 ?
I have a wiring harness that doesn't match any wiring diagrams .... color code is all wrong .......
You can find the correct single bulb lighting schematic in your 1928 owner's manual. I'm sure other books also show the wiring diagram for single bulb fluted headlamps.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Fred
BANNED

Default Re: Cutoff for EARLY 29 is where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
Maybe your car has been a bit pieced together. My mentor has a june 28 roadster pickup and it has the early A but not AR parts.
Being a June of 1928 that RPU has Many-Many of the so-called AR parts on it..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
jkeesey

Yes it does. It has the red wheel and the floorboards have the hole on the left side for the brake lever just to start.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWzrd View Post
The thread title is the question.

When is a car an early 28 and when is it not?
First, "early" in the RG's and JS's stands for "January, February, March and April"; "mid" stands for "May, June, July and August"; "late" stands for "September, October, November and December".

SO...It is an "early 28" if it was produced in January, February, March or April 1928.

"Very Early 1928" are those vehicles that were produced in "October, November and December 1927".

I'm having a bit of difficulty as I keep getting late 28 parts only to find I need early parts.. then having to wait for the correct part.

Tank date is 12/4/28 so I am "assuming" that it could not have been made prior to that date and I don't consider that date to be early 28.

The tank date indicates it is a "late" 1928 tank.

I've read the mess about engine numbers, frame numbers, body numbers, tank numbers and the manufacturing process backwards and forwards trying to make sense of this... It just doesn't.

And why dosen't it? Talk to us...

Pluck

What give?
As related above...what other items can you point to your car that you are in question?

Do you know the history behind your car? That always helps because if you do not know the history, most anything could of happened in the last 80 plus years to get it to where it is today.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWzrd View Post

What is the frame date? As you said 12/4/28 is not an E28 date. As to why you would have any E28 parts on the car is a mystery IF the tank is original to the car.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
Ron in Quincy

The Left Hand Brake Lever does not mount thru the floor board, it mounts thru the lower cowl sill, on late 1928 A's this hole is often covered with a plate, at first the plate was attached with a screw and later with a rivet.

Is your emergency brake handle mounted in front of the gear shift lever ? and if so, is the lever a Pistol Grip or Push Button ?

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote