Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Wuudie

Default Chrome oddities

Something I thought I would share.

I stopped at friend's chrome shop, he took me around to show me some parts he's done for a 30's Ford. he was doing a bunch of parts that aren't normally all bright and shiny. I stood there admiring the parts and thier finish when I noticed, the Shock/Arm were both done at one time- Not broken down. I was told that is what the customer wanted him to do and the customer's mind couldn't be changed.

I thought I was extreme spending countless hours wire brushing/sand blasting/painting my parts This takes it to a whole new level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Backing Plate.jpg (73.0 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Ford Emblem on Backing Plate.jpg (38.8 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Dog Bone -Tie Rod ends.jpg (75.5 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Shock.jpg (61.9 KB, 164 views)
Wuudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Steve Wastler

Default Re: Chrome oddities

Wuudie, takes me back to the early 90's when I did a 74 sportster, what wasn't painted or polished aluminum, was bright chrome done by Browns. Spent a couple grand, it adds up quickly. Looks like your buddy does a great plating job, but like you it seems pretty extreme. Whats the name of your buddies shop?
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Wuudie

I know what you mean- I did a 76 Sporty in my avatar- and the cost for Chrome was outragous.

At one time He did both the Chrome plating or that Spray Chrome paint that Jay Leno promoted a while back.

He's getting away from the metal processing since he's making more money with the Spray on method- there is alot less Government regulations foing the spray on method than dipping.

Plus using the Spray process he's done alot of Strippers outfits in the area, and he did the Victoria Secret Models outfits for a fashion show.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

Must be nice to have that kind of money to chrome plate. Wonder what the rest of the car is going to look like?
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Steve Ciccalone

I'm already sick to my stomach (vommitting). When Indian Motocycles (yes I spelled it correctly) in 1930, a Toronto dealer ordered a four cylinder in all chrome. The original pictures exist. Fortunately, the bike was scrapped.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
RcT

Recession? What recession? A set of four, used, original Champion 3X plugs just sold on ebay for $158 and some change... there are still some people out there with more money than they know what to do with.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Must be nice to have that kind of money to chrome plate. Wonder what the rest of the car is going to look like?
Paul in CT
What would it have cost if it was gold. The workshop I was a plater for got a stack of Morris Minor parts that we copper plated for another plating shop. Their copper bath was not large enough for the bumpers. They then told us that they were tasked with gold plating all the brightwork. I still laugh at how much money was wasted on a Morris. I saw the car about a year later at a car show, the rest of the car was not that impressive.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Wuudie

I agree some people have more money than brains, but if they want to pay for it- it's thier money. Whoa re we to judge, best we can say, is "Glad I'm not paying for it"

The owner of the parts stated he was donating the car to a museum- he'd have to since they chromed the brake drums (YES I said he chromed the drums- Inside and out)