Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
plind

Default Nr. 1 Model A engine

I have sat and studied the Model A engine and viewing the image of Henry Ford when the beats No. 1 in the first engine. But what surprised me somewhat, is the site just below the cylinder head and not over the hole with water. Has been in and see Plucks's pads observations and see it appears that the first is made near the water hole ...
So my thought is: Can it be a later engine he has just beaten number in order to create an advertising campaign and that they have made several cars at the time ... It's just a thought I have, What do you think of here at Ford Barn ..??? Is my discoveries completely wrong.??
plind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:35 AM   #2
grj

Default Re: Nr. 1 Model A engine

The word is that a late friend of mine and Model A Joe rebuilt the engine and stamped it number 1. That was back in the Les Henry era at the Villiage.
grj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:39 AM   #3
plind

Quote:
Originally Posted by grj View Post
The word is that a late friend of mine and Model A Joe rebuilt the engine and stamped it number 1. That was back in the Les Henry era at the Villiage.
Ok.... and do you so tell me, that the engine on the pic whit Henry Ford marking nr .1 is not the first Model A engine.??
and this pic can be eks. from mid dec.1927 ??
( sorry for my pure english).
plind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
Steve Ciccalone

I have looked at this photo and believe it was a photo op after the start of production. I have three engines, A189, A435 and A566 that all have the large low pad you refer to from Pluck's material. A616, is the highest # known large low pad block. The owner also has A636 and it has a second generation high short pad. This is the same as the so called #1 photo. No engine below A616 has been found and documented to have a number pad other than the large low pad above the water outlet.

All the engines were stamped consecutively but not released to assembly in order. The engine release log shows A1 going to the line on 11/1/27, well after the first three engines, A12, A13 and A14 were released on 10/21/27. For the record, A12 was apparently returned to the engine shop as it shows up two more times in the release log during the month of November. A14 appeared to be scrapped.

No single or two digit engines have turned up to date and been documented. There are 21 known three digit survivors. The so called A1 car in Dearborn is a fabrication. The previous owner of A189 had sufficient stroke to get the body of A1 removed at the museum. It is a '29 chassis with the bogus engine as Gary previously indicated here. A189 is currently the lowest # documented engine. It is also a matching numbers vehicle and retains the earliest single eye/single eye brake system. It is truely amazing as the car was exported to Europe, probably as one of the demonstrators, and was sold to its first owner in Sweden on 3/7/28. The original Swedish title survives with the car. Charlie Bass brought it back in 2000 and I bought it from him in 2006.

Marco may post about the earliest blocks having both style 1 and 2 pads concurrently due to multiple casting lines. I've spoken with him and do not dispute his opinion as he has researched this heavily in the archives. I can only point out that no engine lower than A616 has ever been found with the high short pad.

Oddly, A616 and A189 were released to assembly on 11/25/27, one engine apart. A616 is also a matching numbers car.