Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2023, 10:12 AM   #1
Deuce-Addict

Default Bob Slack Collection

Does anyone have any old photographs of the Bob Slack collection or tales to tell? Have never found anything much about his collection but remember being mesmerized by the 3 page auction advert in the V8 Times! Would love to know where the cars all are now, the '33 woodie I believe went to Nick Alexander and a few years back saw a post from a guy in Kansas from memory with the '32 station wagon. Am guessing many of the NOS parts likely went to the Secrest collection or perhaps Gene Hetland's?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob Slack 1.jpg (61.0 KB, 466 views)
File Type: jpg Bob Slack 2.jpg (53.0 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg Bob Slack 3.jpg (56.0 KB, 451 views)

Last edited by Deuce-Addict; 09-12-2023 at 10:51 AM.
Deuce-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 11:16 AM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Bob Slack Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce-Addict View Post
Does anyone have any old photographs of the Bob Slack collection or tales to tell? Have never found anything much about his collection but remember being mesmerized by the 3 page auction advert in the V8 Times! Would love to know where the cars all are now, the '33 woodie I believe went to Nick Alexander and a few years back saw a post from a guy in Kansas from memory with the '32 station wagon. Am guessing many of the NOS parts likely went to the Secrest collection or perhaps Gene Hetland's?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 11:47 AM   #3
Seth Swoboda

I can't help you, however my fear is most of them have probably been cut up.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 01:44 PM   #4
BoxCar Tom

This is Bob Slack related. Im at Hershey 1978 and for three days Im hearing about a 32 3W for sale on a trailer in the parking lot. Sat lunch time Im done, Im dead tired, I drag my butt out to my car/camp site, getting ready to leave and another guy tells me about the 3W and where to find it and that it is still for sale. I follow his directions and find it. In a word it is the most mint original complete down to the rear window shade tassel 32 Ford 3W I have ever looked at. Its reasonably priced and negotiable. People around it tell me it is still for sale. Info sheet in the window gives the swap spot of the seller. I get in my car and drive to a spot on the road closest to the swap spot. Pull up on the shoulder, put on the hazard warning lights, lock the car, jump the fence, go to the swap spot. The 3W is still for sale, negotiate a price with the seller, agree on $14,500.00 counting out $100 bills. Someone interrupts and asks if the 3W is still available? Seller tells him just sold it. Interrupter steps in front of me and tells the seller he would like to put it in a museum. Seller tells me he would like to hear what he has to say. As they step into his trailer I remind the seller we agreed on a deal, I have the money, just need to arrange transportation. A few minutes later they step out both smiling and shake hands. Seller tells me he sold to the other guy because it belongs in a museum. He reneged on our deal and there was nothing I could do about it. The interrupter was Bob Slack and the "museum" was his private collection not open to the public. End of story.
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:37 PM   #5
DavidG

Bob liked to use the expression "step up or step back" when he wasn't first in line. In your case, Tom, he took that several steps further.

Last edited by DavidG; 09-12-2023 at 03:46 PM.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:38 PM   #6
nickthebandit

IIRC, Bob Slack should have been called Bob "Slick". Bob was known to be on the "Slick" side in a lot of his dealings. He was not known to be a Gentleman.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 04:22 PM   #7
Cool 33

A friend and I went to the auction when he sold all the cars. He kept stepping up to the microphone and yelling out "Pay too much, you will enjoy it more!"
Cool 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 04:33 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Tom View Post
This is Bob Slack related. Im at Hershey 1978 and for three days Im hearing about a 32 3W for sale on a trailer in the parking lot. Sat lunch time Im done, Im dead tired, I drag my butt out to my car/camp site, getting ready to leave and another guy tells me about the 3W and where to find it and that it is still for sale. I follow his directions and find it. In a word it is the most mint original complete down to the rear window shade tassel 32 Ford 3W I have ever looked at. Its reasonably priced and negotiable. People around it tell me it is still for sale. Info sheet in the window gives the swap spot of the seller. I get in my car and drive to a spot on the road closest to the swap spot. Pull up on the shoulder, put on the hazard warning lights, lock the car, jump the fence, go to the swap spot. The 3W is still for sale, negotiate a price with the seller, agree on $14,500.00 counting out $100 bills. Someone interrupts and asks if the 3W is still available? Seller tells him just sold it. Interrupter steps in front of me and tells the seller he would like to put it in a museum. Seller tells me he would like to hear what he has to say. As they step into his trailer I remind the seller we agreed on a deal, I have the money, just need to arrange transportation. A few minutes later they step out both smiling and shake hands. Seller tells me he sold to the other guy because it belongs in a museum. He reneged on our deal and there was nothing I could do about it. The interrupter was Bob Slack and the "museum" was his private collection not open to the public. End of story.
And shame on the seller....
Old 09-12-2023, 08:19 PM   #9
52flthed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Tom View Post
Lot of "wow's" in that story! but one that sticks out is $14,500 in 1978. That was a lot of money!! I was only in 7th grade.
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:43 AM   #10
sidevalve8ba

Kube, you hit the nail on the head.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:04 AM   #11
Als48

Yes, 14.5 was a lot back in '78. I remember my brother and his wife bought a '34 pickup around '76 for $2,600 if I remember correctly. It was pretty nice with juice brakes and a 265 sbc. I loved that truck, but I couldn't afford it, for a toy.

Al Hook
Als48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:06 AM   #12
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
And shame on the seller....
Shame on both the buyer and the seller
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:24 AM   #13
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
Shame on both the buyer and the seller
I can't think of a thing the buyer could have done in this particular situation that wouldn't have made things worse.

If you can, I'd love to hear about it. (We all need to sharpen our "people skills".)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:29 AM   #14
nickthebandit

It used to be that a man's word meant something. I guess that those days are gone.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:33 AM   #15
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthebandit View Post
It used to be that a man's word meant something. I guess that those days are gone.
For some people, those days never were.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 10:09 AM   #16
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
For some people, those days never were.
Amen to that comment. That was the case of the sleazy seller meets sleazy buyer.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 06:35 PM   #17
BoxCar Tom

Some more details, It was offered at 15K It was in my opinion the best all original unmolested well preserved 32 Ford I had ever looked at. It was all there, flawless in every detail I could think of. It looked like a 3 year old car. Yes we agreed on 14,5 I had a bit under 4k in my pocket (lucky me after 3 days in Hershey), we agreed on a $3,500. deposit the remainder to be paid in full in cash by the following Mon or Tue. Transportation arrangements were up to me. Yup I knew the price was steep but I felt it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. What I didn't know at the time was that Bob was standing off to the side and listened to the whole negotiation. In fairness to the seller, Bob offered a less complicated deal, he offered to pay $12,000 immediately with a cashiers check and transportation was no problem, he had a empty truck waiting. The seller was 100% correct, it belonged in a museum. I just don't like who and how it got there. To me, It was the Big Fish that got away.

It would be interesting to find out where that car is today.
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:21 PM   #18
DavidG

Tom,

Was the seller from Connecticut by any chance? I recall a coupe of that description at Hershey years ago and it was from Connecticut.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:52 PM   #19
highbeams

Seth #3 I hopeit's fear and not a fact. Thank you -

Last edited by highbeams; 09-13-2023 at 09:20 PM. Reason: clarity.
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:13 PM   #20
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthebandit View Post
Those days come and go . . . reprobates as well.
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote