Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2015, 04:06 AM   #21
Bluebell

Default Re: Teflon buttons replace circlips?

Leakers, can you expand on your last comment?
I must be missing something.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:36 AM   #22
Mike Crehan

I do as leakers does. I have done some with a small diameter hole through them and some without. On stripping engines it seems to have made no difference. Tight fit into the gudgeon, free in the piston. Radius the head just slightly tighter than the bore.
Mike Crehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #23
GB SISSON

Been running it now for about 3 weeks. No issues. I guess now I'll have to get it licensed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4050.jpg (67.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4216.jpg (72.3 KB, 39 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #24
GB SISSON

Well it has been a year and about 1000 miles. Not a lot, I know, but in 3 weeks I plan to take this thing up interstate 5 to Lynden to attend the Puget Sound Antique Tractor and Machinery Associations annual show. I have not missed this 4 day show in 30 years. Back in the days of driving there in old Ford pickups I used to sleep on the grass. The tonner panel gives me a very cozy nest to curl up in at night. Last year I trailered it there because I didn't trust my work, but thanks to ol Henry I feel totally confident driving this about 150 miles with it's old cloth wiring, 6 volt positive ground and all it's original glory. Heck, Ol Henry did that much driving after breakfast before he stopped for fuel...... Anyhow this thing runs smooth and quiet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new camera fuji 017.jpg (71.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg new camera fuji 007.jpg (94.5 KB, 39 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 07-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #25
Ronnieroadster

I knew you woulkd not have any problems using the teflon buttons. A bit of new tech in an old flathead goes a long way to adding to the fun factor. Panel trucks are a weak spot for me my first vehicle ever was 1950 F-1 panel truck 46 years ago flathead V-8 powered. The truck is long gone but I still have the 8BA one day it will power my 32 pickup complete with Scot blower and five speed trans oh yea and teflon buttons. All good stuff.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #26
GB SISSON

Going on six years now, still smooth as silk.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:14 PM   #27
Bored&Stroked

Thanks for reporting back - not many of us remember to do that! Glad it all worked out.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:06 AM   #28
Mart

I enjoyed reading this older post. It's amazing what you can do with some woodworking tools and a bit of ingenuity.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #29
Crankster

Wait just a goldarned second here!

Isn't Silverstone® supposed to better than Teflon® ? Maybe it has a better modulus of elasticity (versus that ole ho hum coefficient of friction)

Looks like somebody found a good use for that stuff, I cook on cast iron. That's all I got.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:53 AM   #30
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
Wait just a goldarned second here!

Isn't Silverstone® supposed to better than Teflon® ? Maybe it has a better modulus of elasticity (versus that ole ho hum coefficient of friction)

Looks like somebody found a good use for that stuff, I cook on cast iron. That's all I got.
Don't waste your money on Silverstone® tried both and could not see any difference.