Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
ohkyguy

Default Steering box upgrade help

I have a 1947 upper Deluxe and I am looking to upgrade the steering box. First off I am having trouble getting the old one out. I have disconnected the steering arm, the 3 bolts that mount it to the frame ,i cut the horn wire and the losened and removed the bolt for the column clamp right at the steering box. I have turn it back and forth and even hit it with a hammer and it wont come free. I am trying to leave steering wheel and column in tact and just want to replace the steering box only. How do I get this box out and can I use a Vega steering box or what will work?

Thanks
bobby
ohkyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
grovesmr

Default Re: Steering box upgrade help

not sure on the 47 but my 40ish column you need to pull the steering wheel at least, cause the steering shaft has to drop out the bottom of the box. if you arent going to pull the unit this can be tricky cause you will need to jack the car up high enough to extend the shaft all the way out the bottom. this is all far easier if you just pull the entire thing.

you probably dont wanna hit that much more with a hammer either, the worm gear is sandwiched between bearing and races. if its like my column its not coming out unless you pull that steering wheel first
grovesmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
Ken/Alabama

You must remove the steering wheel !
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
skidmarks

rebuild the original box. Its less work them trying to make a vega box work with the stock column. Also check your king pins. With everything in tip top shape it will steer with ease
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #5
skidmarks

Ps. Beating on it with a hammer wont help either.41. 48 ford with the toe board removed the box will come out through the car. Done it plenty of times.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

As stated above you have to take the steering wheel off, the steering box rod that runs up the column is one solid piece all the way to the wheel. This may be a much bigger job than you realize. To make this work you will have to cut the shaft that goes up the column. Then install a bearing to hold what is left of the shaft in the center of the column and also devise something to hold the center rod from just pulling out the top of the column. Then you need to add a connection joint to the Vega box and build a mount for the new box. These years of cars had good steering to begin with, just fix/rebuild what you have.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
ohkyguy

OK. so I will work on removing steering wheel tomorrow. So does the steering shaft come out with the steering box? I have the car on a lift so I have plenty of room.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
ohkyguy

Thanks for all the replies. I was just wanting to get an upgraded box as this is my fathers car and he is in his eighties and it is rough on him when in tight places trying to navigate his way out.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohkyguy View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I was just wanting to get an upgraded box as this is my fathers car and he is in his eighties and it is rough on him when in tight places trying to navigate his way out.
The shaft will come out of the box when the box is completely disassembled. The worm gear is connected to the shaft, a tight press fit. Not sure how the Vega box would make it steer much easier. If it is really a problem for him you might be better off looking at a power steering assist. There have been several threads on that topic recently.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:04 PM   #10
ohkyguy

Thanks a ton for your help. I really appreciate it
Old 04-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #11
jimTN

A good steering gear in a 46-8 steers very easy, at times seems line too easy. Sounds like you have other problems, when was the last time the kingpins were greased?
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #12
5lugnuts

A shorter pitman arm might make it easier to turn the wheel when the car is not moving which is probably your issue. They make one for the Model A that is said to be work good (just saying the idea works).

Another good box is, if I remember right, from a 51 Ford pickup. Look it up on the internet and you will see the gears look like the best idea ever for a manual box, you might be able to graft it in somehow.

Shorter pitman arm sounds like the quick fix and easiest. Maybe cut, weld and brace. Cutting and welding alone might not be strong enough.
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #13
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Put cross ply tires on it. Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #14
rich b

Vega box is too light for a '47; if you really have to change it, use a 525 box.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #15
rotorwrench

The Gemmer 2 boxes are all basically the same with either side steer or cross steer being the difference. The rolling sector made them easy to steer and quite acceptable to operate. I don't understand the need to replace something that isn't broke. I would just overhaul the OEM. It may also just need new king pin bushings or tie rod ends and a new steering box won't fix that. The worm gears are usually the first thing to wear out inside a gearbox and replacements are available. Installing power steering is a complicated process for a car that has two water pumps and very little room to put a pump.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #16
alchemy

Two things: First a Vega box is too lightweight for that car. Second, it won't be easier to steer than a properly functioning original.

Rebuild the original box properly, and check the tie rod ends and kingpins. Grease everything liberally. Actually, grease everything liberally and go give it a test drive before you take it apart. Might just be that you had dry joints.

If you didn't know how to remove the box, you probably aren't sure how to rebuild it either. I suggest doing some searches here on Fordbarn and following the advice to a T.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote