Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
old skool

Default George Riley's Book

I am reading Riley's book on the "100 MPH Model A Ford"(very interesting) I wish he was alive so we could document his life. Anyway, he mentions "Splash lubrication works out very well for the Ford motor, even in racing. Drill 3/8" hole near the bottom of the back oil baffel in valve chamber and file half-round groove where flange of ignition drive gear fits on block. This permits oil to reach all bearing quickly."

Does this help? Anyone ever try this? Anyone have photos of this and what it should be like? I was thinking about doing it, but I want more info and feedback.

Thanks for your time.

Marty
old skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
MikeK

Default Re: George Riley's Book

This mod would keep the rear baffled section drained of oil, the only oil coming (squirting) rearward from the drive gear flange to the area over the holes down to the bearings. Probably a good racing mod, as severe turn G's and braking would drive oil toward the cover and forward. That would leave the oil passages to the bearings exposed at times. The direct squirt would feed the oil holes if the drive flange undercut was properly aimed.

Since the rear section would drain rather than fill, you would need that immediate squirt of oil on start up. A racing engine is rev'd frequently, so there would be plenty of squirt force through that half-round filed under the rear of the gear drive flange shoulder.

In a street app, at prolonged idle there would be a much slower feed to the rear, and the factory oil holes would be in competition with that 3/8 drain hole. The rear chamber would drain and never fill. Bad for street use!!!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: George Riley's Book

What I think Rileys intent was to have instant flow to the center chamber, and by drillng a hole in the "dam" between chamber #2, and 3 to allow oil to start filling chamber #3 before chamber 2 filled -----with multiple paths there is less chance of starving a bearing when the engine is operating at extreme angles up or down-----with the stock design it has to wait for the first chamber to fill before spilling into the middle, then the last chamber waits for the middle---and optimised for a slight upward at the front angle.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote