Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
Pigpen

Default DEAD: 1948 Super Deluxe 8 Sedan

My first post here on the Ford Barn, so I apologize if it's a little long winded...

*my background* I have older Fords cars/trucks from 60's-90's. I'd classify them as good summertime drivers, decent, but nothing show quality. I wanted to get something I would consider nice to everyone that would see it... something that the wife and I could take our parents/or friends out in, for a cruise or out to dinner for the night. Mustang GT's or old Ford trucks weren't cutting it, so I was on the look out for something (Ford of course) full size, classic and not modified, but plain old factory stock. I was looking for a nice 60's-70's Lincoln Continental, or a full size Ford from early 70's and older. I came across a 1948 Ford Super Deluxe 8, 2-door sedan that was exactly what I was looking for. Went and inspected it, and was very happy with what I seen (no rust anywhere, no leaks and good paint, tires, brakes) We negotiated down to my price range, and I bought it, and took it home. It runs great (59ab flathead) and it drives just as good as it look. Only there is a few hang ups to work out...

When you would start it, it starts right up and runs great, but after it warms up (operating temperature * 10 minutes) if you shut it off, it will no longer start/run for about an hour. It just turns over, and won't fire. Let it sit for an hour, and it fires right up and again runs great. It was like that all summer. Now this fall, I was going to pull it out of the barn so I could jockey around cars for winter storage, and it would not start at all. It turns over fine, but just would not attempt to run what so ever.

Last edited by Pigpen; 02-11-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote