Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #1
bruce lee

Default New to barn where's the build threads.

Hi I have been lurking for awhile but most I see is questions to be answered.
I'm use to the Hamb. Are there lots of guys here that dont go on the Hamb?? If so I will share my 32 roadster build that I'm recreating my grandpas 32 he ran on the dry lakes in the late 40s. he's 86 right now and still with us so I have a few story's I can share. Let me know as I have a build thread on the Hamb and I dont want to have to repeat the hole build thread if everyone here also reads everything on the Hamb. If not then let me know where I can start a build thread to share my build. Thanks y'all. Here's a few pictures of his car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (24.9 KB, 58 views)
bruce lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #2
GB SISSON

Default Re: New to barn where's the build threads.

I am primarily a truck guy so I'm on here and FTE 'ford truck enthusiasts'. I have stayed away from the HAMB because I have heard a lot about people jumping down your throat if you suggest something that isn't in the realm of the pre-war or fifties hot rod. Your project looks really interesting to me so I maybe I should sign up and take a look. I have done 4 build threads on FTE. I have an unusual one going on here called 'truck based woodie' in which I'm converting a '47 half ton to a commercial old school woodie wagon. Now that you mention it, there aren't a lot of build threads here, but there sure are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable guys to help those of us who are currently up to our elbows in grease, dirt, rust and in my case add sawdust.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

I spend my time equally on ford barn and HAMB. I enjoy them both and they both have their place. I enjoyed the excellent build thread on HAMB from Dennis Lacy on his '32 truck. His modifications were very creative. On fordbarn a "build thread" would be "I am building a stock '32 roadster", not very exciting, unless you are also building a stock '32 roadster. Of course some guys go "out of the box" in one or two small areas on their vehicle and ask specific questions but mostly you will find questions related to restoration such as "what color should the tail light brackets be on a '32 Ford?". I am sure I would find your build thread interesting but I am not sure the average fordbarn person would appreciate it, can you post a link?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 03-03-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
Craig CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce lee View Post
I'm use to the Hamb. Are there lots of guys here that dont go on the Hamb?? If so I will share my 32 roadster build that I'm recreating my grandpas 32 he ran on the dry lakes in the late 40s. he's 86 right now and still with us so I have a few story's I can share. Let me know as I have a build thread on the Hamb and I dont want to have to repeat the hole build thread if everyone here also reads everything on the Hamb. If not then let me know where I can start a build thread to share my build. Thanks y'all. Here's a few pictures of his car.
Hi bruce lee; Welcome to the Barn. Sounds like you have a very cool grandpa. How about a little info on the motor, heads, cam, ect. Thanks, Craig.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #5
PeteVS

Quote:
Could you share a link to your thread on the HAMB? That would kill two birds with one stone. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
bruce lee

Hey Craig,

So the motor is a 286" 59a motor. Merc crank Ross pistons potvin 3/8s cam. We put in 1.6 Manley pro flow valves and I'm running edelbrock block letter heads and a edelbrock block regular high rise intake. Dual stromberg 48s. Block Is ported relived and I have a Jim kurtan Lincoln LZ v-12 converted to v-8 distributor. As of right now I'm using a stock crab distributor to brake in the motor and once everything is happy I will change over to the LZ. I'm running a 40 ford side shift transmission and a 40 rear end with 3.78s I only have maybe 5 parts that were not made before 1949. Body is original 32 roadster as well as the frame. I'm trying to keep the car period/era correct to what my grandpa ran and raced around the streets of Pasadena ca. He was an original member of the Pasadena roadster club from 1947-1950. Then he was drafted into the Korean War. Came home and started a family so no more hotrodding untill 67 years later when I built this car for him to relive his youth.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:39 PM   #7
bruce lee

Well I'm not that good with computers to give a direct link but if you go to Hamb and in the traditional hotrods section it's called grandpas el mirage roadster recreation. It's 65 pages long now so it will take along time to read through. I put lots of pictures of his trophys timing tags and original Pasadena roadster club plaque. He still had everything and gave me all of it with pictures and story's. He has even helped me build this car. So if you like early dry lake stuff maybe give it a read.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:48 PM   #8
bruce lee

I have had a lot of help form Hamb members and barn members like dale bored&stroked, he walked me through my motor build. Without him I would have a stock motor. With dales help we built one hell of a hotrod motor. Car is basically done I'm just waiting to get my 32 axel and spindles back from okie joe. I sent it out to him to have him drop it 4" and bend the spindles and put new king pins in. Car is a deluxe rumble seat roadster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.3 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-03-2017, 10:50 PM   #9
bruce lee

Also running original Packard 440 wire from the 40s not the stuff you can buy today.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:52 PM   #10
Mike in AZ

sounds like a great rod.....got pics??....lol....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #11
Mike in AZ

too slow....lol....thanks for the pics....nice....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #12
bruce lee

Here's more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 03-03-2017, 10:59 PM   #13
bruce lee

I don't know how to work this site it only let's me show one pic at a time. Lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 03-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #14
bruce lee

More pics of interior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #15
Craig CT

Quote:
Hey Craig,

So the motor is a 286" 59a motor. Merc crank Ross pistons potvin 3/8s cam. We put in 1.6 Manley pro flow valves and I'm running edelbrock block letter heads and a edelbrock block regular high rise intake. Dual stromberg 48s. Block Is ported relived and I have a Jim kurtan Lincoln LZ v-12 converted to v-8 distributor. As of right now I'm using a stock crab distributor to brake in the motor and once everything is happy I will change over to the LZ. I'm running a 40 ford side shift transmission and a 40 rear end with 3.78s I only have maybe 5 parts that were not made before 1949. Body is original 32 roadster as well as the frame. I'm trying to keep the car period/era correct to what my grandpa ran and raced around the streets of Pasadena ca. He was an original member of the Pasadena roadster club from 1947-1950. Then he was drafted into the Korean War. Came home and started a family so no more hotrodding untill 67 years later when I built this car for him to relive his youth.
Hi bruce lee; I don't know what's better the car or what you've done with and for your grandpa, outstanding. There's a few lakers on here that might chime in and I'll definitely check out the build on the HAMB, Craig.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

Bruce,

Do ou go by the name "paintslinger805" on HAMB? Is this the thread you are talking about: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...p-r-c.1012164/ ?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:36 PM   #17
bruce lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Bruce,

Do ou go by the name "paintslinger805" on HAMB? Is this the thread you are talking about: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...p-r-c.1012164/ ?

Charlie Stephens
Yes sir thats me and the thread. Thank you.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:51 PM   #18
JM 35 Sedan

I think you will find "build threads" if you do some searching on this forum. Posting your build thread here would be cool. I am a member of the H.A.M.B., but only go their to read tech stuff. There are some rules here that you may not have on the H.A.M.B., so might be good idea to read the "stickys" posted above.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:09 AM   #19
Mart

Hi and welcome, I have been following your build thread on the hamb. You can put a link to the hamb thread in your signature, if you like.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:23 AM   #20
funrunr

What a great thread you have started on the HAMB, I just spent over an hour reading the first few pages. I really became intrigued within the first paragraph. Well written to spark the interests. Welcome to the barn and I will continue to read the thread on the HAMB.