Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Removing body vs. not removing the body...

How many of you have in the past or still do posess an original, assembled vehicle who may have, or not, have what you think, or may not think, is the original title to the car or truck (Model A/AA Ford)?

Even though you have an origianl title with a number on it, how may of you have accepted the fact that the number on the title is the actual number on the chassis? Or not?

How many of you have had curiosity get the best of you and you just had to pull the body off just to see what that number is on the frame?

I am at that delima with my early February 1929 Tudor Sedan.

I have what I am perty sure is the original Bill of Sale showing the February 13, 1929 engine number, but darn... is that the actual number on the frame?

Yep, curiosity is getting the best of me...some day!

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 02-12-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Roadster62

Default Re: Removing body vs. not removing the body...

I'm SO glad I live in a state were there are no titles on vehicles 25 year old or older. Bob
Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
plind

Hi Steve,

I understand your curiosity, but i will try to ignorer my curiosity about my Town Sedan, it is a 1. owner and the title is orig. so i am pretty sure that i have a matching number car..I got the car from the son on the Farm, where it was from new... And on my Tudor ( * A 2820 * ) there do i have all title paper and name on all owners from new.. But it is in a bad condition, so here i will seperate the frame from the rest of the car...And get it repaintet...
So if it is a very nice orig unrestored 29 you have, i will not seperatet it..

Per,
Per,
plind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
2manycars

The disappointment would be if you went to all that work and then found that the number was illegible due to rust on the frame.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
John LaVoy

I have done three Model As and none of them have had the number on the frame. Either not there or rusted off. But could not even fine the hint of a number.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
lance leblanc

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I had a simular conversation with a club member last night. After which I felt fortunate that I know as much as I now do. I'm the forth owner of my 29 Tudor and while my Title and Bill of sale are not original (mine are from the last owners purchase in '63) they do match my frame. The orginal engine was cored in the 80's. Im glad I pulled the body off, I think had I not done so I would always be wondering.

"When Solomon said there was a time and place for everything he had not encountered the problem of parking his automobile." Bob Edwards
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Willie Krash

I live in an easy going state that just looked at the engine number and that was that. I'm thinking about stamping the frame myself with that number, just in case.
I'm sure those DMV folks don't know or really care all that much as long as they see a number. To the question I'm too lazy to be that curious.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
swo4rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
I'm SO glad I live in a state were there are no titles on vehicles 25 year old or older. Bob
I'm going to move my summer residence to CT...
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I lifted the left side on my 2-23-29 Tudor about 4" and couldn't find the number.
I'd let sleeping dogs lie.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Brentwood Bob

Used a Number 2 lead pencil and a used sheet of notepaper and the illegible frame number appeared out of the wire brushed rusty pitted frame. Some call that a rubbing. Voila.
Alot of work removing the body bolts to get to the site of the number. Sheep urine is not compatible with steel.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
junk yard kid

I had to show the vin to the dmv, as i had to lien sale it. Do i pull the body off there? or do i just bring it all in a pile or two trailers? But i deal with the DMV task force with work and i got an agent to come to my house. I raised the body four inches and no dice, tried a rubbing, no dice. Then i got the idea to use a little spot sand blaster from harbor frieght. That made it visible, then i loaded it up with paint.
junk yard kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
Rowdy
BANNED

All matching number on my Delivery, so no worries further down the road. 3 more months until I can get the bond released from my title and it will read "Original" instead of "Bonded". Rod
Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
...I have what I am perty sure is the original Bill of Sale showing the February 13, 1929 engine number, but darn... is that the actual number on the frame?

Yep, curiosity is getting the best of me...some day!

Pluck
Steve,

Sounds to me that you're saying you have an original, appropriately dated Bill of Sale from Ford or from the Ford dealer that matches your engine number.

If so, I'd say the odds are very high that the frame number matches the Bill of Sale. Or to put it another way, I'd say the odds are very low that the OE Bill of Sale was kept with the incorrect engine all these years rather than with the correct frame/body, i. e., the complete car. The odds would seem to me to be even lower that the OE BoS was re-united with the incorrect engine--either way, your BoS is almost certainly for your car, and by extension also for your CORRECT engine.

As Tom W. says, let the dogs lie--until you have another and much better reason to take the body off.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
Hitchhiker

One of the great things with my new truck is that the frame engine and title all match.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
RichPA

I purchased my car from a co-workers father. He had the car for 2 years and lost interest. He stated to me that he bought the car from the family that bought it new but had no documentation. While the engine number does not match the title, I am confident the frame number if it is there does. It appears the body has never been off, and I can say with confidence the truth will not be found while I am alive, maybe my son will find out someday.
RichPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #16
Bill in SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
How many of you have in the past or still do posess an original, assembled vehicle who may have, or not, have what you think, or may not think, is the original title to the car or truck (Model A/AA Ford)?

Even though you have an origianl title with a number on it, how may of you have accepted the fact that the number on the title is the actual number on the chassis? Or not? Pluck
I bought my car with clear title, but the engine in the car had a different number than the title. However, the former owner had the engine block with the correct number. You all know how common it is to have the engines switched over the years. I bought the car and the new title cleared, but that does not mean that the former engine match the frame number either. Years later, I removed the body for repairs. Frame number matched the title, and the second engine number. Lucky me.

I guess the question would be what if they did not match? Could it be stolen? How far back do most states DVM records go? Of course it is illegal to grind off the frame number or re-strike it with the current engine number or vice versa. What to do?
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #17
1st_model_a

Bought a 28 with clear title and registration. The owner did not know the history of the car - it had belonged to his father. I had to lift the frame to show frame number to DMV when I tried to get the title transferred. The frame was rusted/corroded/pitted and with sanding was still only able to resolve a couple of partial digits.
1st_model_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
supergnat

I have the original title for my 28 leatherback. The title I got from the previous owner matched the engine and bill of sale. I am the fourth owner of the car which has always been registered in NJ. There is no evidence that the body has ever been off and I do not intend to remove it. I may have my original engine rebuilt when I save enough money. Fow now I just enjoy my original car with original interior, non original body paint and (what I believe to be) the original hand painted top. Don't mess with it.
Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #19
walt jones

Steve, This is not to your point concerning original titles and bills of sale. I to have an engine built on 2-13-29. I do not have the original title, My title is now from Missouri, it shows 1929 tudor, engine number 1040640. I was told that the frame number matched the motor number. You can tell that the body has been off of the frame. There are several odd things about this car,it has a forged tail light bracket,the front crossmember has holes for the front of the early style engine pans,the timming cover has wide bosses like those used with the solid front engine mount. the body number shows it to have been built at Twin Cities. Since our cars are both 29 tudors I thought that this info might be of interest. By the way, Happy Birthday.

Last edited by walt jones; 02-13-2013 at 10:30 PM.
walt jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #20
sturgis39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I lifted the left side on my 2-23-29 Tudor about 4" and couldn't find the number.
I'd let sleeping dogs lie.
I agree with you Tom. I do not want to know. Most highway Patrol officers will probably look through the front window around the dash.

I usally only get stopped during the Sturgis Motor Cycle Rally. They usually just want to look at the car and then they speed off to another wreck.

Last edited by sturgis39; 02-13-2013 at 06:51 PM.
sturgis39 is offline   Reply With Quote