Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
INVISIBLEKID

Default Converting to juice.......

On my A........ Any preferred length of rubber brake hose from the hardline mounting bracket to the WC? I will be running my front line up the bottom of the driver's frame rail to avoid heat and clearance issues. I would assume (lol) there is not a standard, but a ballpark will get me close. Yes- bump/lock to lock, and all that stuff...
Thanks-Kid
INVISIBLEKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
DJ S

Default Re: Converting to juice.......

Most of the members on this forum still believe in mechanical brakes. You'll receive a better response on HAMB.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
INVISIBLEKID

I was just asking......I guess i'll leave all the stockers to you guys. Yes- HAMB member. Thought there might be someone who isn't all 100% here.................... Don't worry, I won't be back. Have been here for MORE that 10 years.....I'll figure it out with no worries.....Nice to taugnt the ask somewhere else...... I'm sure Shelly, and later to be Ryan would encourage help between the site's for the A! Nevermind. I'm done with the #'s matching, stick up your ass attitudes.
INVISIBLEKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ S View Post
Most of the members on this forum still believe in mechanical brakes. You'll receive a better response on HAMB.
Technically what you say is correct but I would bet a good percentage of the people on this forum have early Ford hydraulic brakes. What do you base your statement using "most"? I must have missed the survey. If he had asked about disk brakes and a SBC I would agree with you.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 09-06-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by INVISIBLEKID View Post
I was just asking......I guess i'll leave all the stockers to you guys. Yes- HAMB member. Thought there might be someone who isn't all 100% here.................... Don't worry, I won't be back. Have been here for MORE that 10 years.....I'll figure it out with no worries.....Nice to taugnt the ask somewhere else...... I'm sure Shelly, and later to be Ryan would encourage help between the site's for the A! Nevermind. I'm done with the #'s matching, stick up your ass attitudes.
Do you go to McDonalds and order Chinese food, and then get bent out of shape because they refer you to Uncle Chen's down the street? You need to grow up, "kid."

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
On my A........ Any preferred length of rubber brake hose from the hardline mounting bracket to the WC? I will be running my front line up the bottom of the driver's frame rail to avoid heat and clearance issues. I would assume (lol) there is not a standard, but a ballpark will get me close. Yes- bump/lock to lock, and all that stuff...
Thanks-Kid
This is the bracket I made for the front brakes on my '32. If I remember correctly the hose from a '40 Ford was the correct length. Ignore the moisture, it is not brake fluid.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8348.jpg (36.2 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 09-06-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
tbirdtbird
BANNED

I think the 'kid' needs tougher skin.
I did not perceive DJS' response as derogatory, but rather, helpful.
Yes some Barners do have juice brakes, but why not post both locations since this is a cross-over. I am not totally sure I have ever noted that the regular contributors here have juice.....

I would suggest you let the suspension/axles hang (put the frame on jackstands), and take a measurement that allows some laxity in this position. You need to be prepared for maximum travel of the suspension, and have the hose not be fully stretched out

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 09-07-2016 at 12:15 PM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #8
CWPASADENA

Quote:
I am sorry you feel that way.

I think "DJ S" was just trying to help by directing your question to a site that deals with more of that kind of stuff.

I do not think he was trying to put you down for asking a question about something that is "not Original" to the car.

There will always be someone who comes across with an "attitude", you should not pay any attention to him and focus on the responses of those who are trying to be helpful.

Personally, It appears to me that you may be the one with an attitude that is not in the spirit of this forum. It is my opinion that your response to "BJ S"s post was out of line.

If you would give a chance to those of us who try to be helpful, I am sure your question would be answered.

Personally, I have early Fords with original mechanical brakes and hydraulic brake conversions. Both have their merits and disadvantages.

I may have an opinion about a modification someone wants to make to their Model A, mainly because what they may be proposing may not work very well however, I will always respect the right of that person to do what ever he wants to his own car.

Again, this is just my opinion,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:31 AM   #9
Safewiz

I also agree that you may have taken what was said the wrong way. I made that mistake myself and took offense at a statement made to me here. Notice I said mistake. Most all here just want to help, and some of the best folks to do that are here. As far as juice brakes, they have there good and bad points, just like mechanical. In any advent, I wish you the best with your project, and don't give up on the barn.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #10
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

On your juice brakes, hope you are still here, be sure your system has a separate emergency brake. I have seen some that just pull the pedal down and disable the brake light. When you lose them, you have nothing, and, some day you will lose them.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #11
Charlville

PM'd you
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #12
zzlegend

PM me if you would like some pictures.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #13
DJ S

I didn't intend for my post to come off that way. I just tried to redirect you to more appropriate site for your question as you may not find the answer you are looking for here. I don't appreciate your response, even if you believe I came off in a negative way that doesn't make it okay to insult both me and all the other members of this community.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here but I too feel you question will reach a wider audience on a site such as the sister on to this one, HAMB.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #15
1931 flamingo

If you're not going with the new Lincoln brakes. Get all the brake parts off a donor (or donors). Hang the backing plates. Use the same hoses as the donor had, run the rear lines up the radius rods use hose there, 2 hoses to front wheels. Use orig style brkts or make new ones. Pretty simple. Do NOT use copper for the brake lines. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

I once had a QUICK look at a hydraulic set up, on a Model A. It still had all the mechanical stuff hooked up, the only "give away" was a skinny hose, disappearing to the top of the backing plate! I have NO IDEA how it worked & didn't ask. The owner has passed away.
Bill W.