Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #21
ford38v8

Default Re: blocking off the heat risers?

Your "Time capsule" will not be there long. Modern pennies will corrode away in short order. Wheat pennies will last.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #22
rotorwrench

In copper Vs copper plated zinc,the copper will win the corrosion battle between the two
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #23
RalphG

Not sure about this "heat riser" on later flatheads. Does the 8BA in my 52 Merc have it? I can't remember the name of it but mine has some type of heat riser valve in the right side of the exhaust cross over pipe that operates by a heat sensitive spring. When cold the spring holds the flapper closed to restrict the exhaust flow.As the spring is heated up it pulls the flapper open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc heat riser.jpg (61.9 KB, 43 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The valve is just to increase the exhaust flow through the manifold until it heats up (like a thermostat). You would not use the exhaust valve with a blocked manifold crossover that's for sure. But if you were interested in performance you would remove the exhaust value in the first place.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #25
rotorwrench

The old 49 thru 53 Mercs don't run well until they are warmed up good. That valve, in good working order, just speeds up the process. Most folks ditch the 885 & later carbs like Ralph's. I like the stock performance of these well enough to keep them and they need that valve for the automatic choke to work right. I just make sure and maintain the valve in good working order.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:54 PM   #26
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The old 49 thru 53 Mercs don't run well until they are warmed up good. That valve, in good working order, just speeds up the process. Most folks ditch the 885 & later carbs like Ralph's. I like the stock performance of these well enough to keep them and they need that valve for the automatic choke to work right. I just make sure and maintain the valve in good working order.
That "flapper " valve was seized up solid on mine. I got it freed up so it moves but I think the spring is disconnected or lost it's spring . I should probably just remove the whole thing. The car was converted to manual choke nearly fifty years ago and it works ok. But yes, cold performance is not great. Plus the weak accelerator pump on this old "teapot carb." does not help. I need to get to work on fixing that.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:39 PM   #27
hellmet

here's my 46 59a with 46 penny's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake pennys.jpg (146.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg flathead on stand.jpg (52.6 KB, 64 views)
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:36 AM   #28
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
That "flapper " valve was seized up solid on mine. I got it freed up so it moves but I think the spring is disconnected or lost it's spring . I should probably just remove the whole thing. The car was converted to manual choke nearly fifty years ago and it works ok. But yes, cold performance is not great. Plus the weak accelerator pump on this old "teapot carb." does not help. I need to get to work on fixing that.
Back in the day a special "heat riser valve" penetrating oil was sold to keep these valves free and working. Don't know if was really a special formula or just regular stuff repackaged. Seems like it did have graphite in it, but so did other penetrants.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:52 AM   #29
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Your "Time capsule" will not be there long. Modern pennies will corrode away in short order. Wheat pennies will last.
Ed Zachary! I find some wheatback pennies that have been in the ground for about 100 years, and they clean up very nicely, but try burying some pennies made between 1983 to 2016 in some slightly acidic ground for 12 to 24 months. Then dig them up and see what little is left of them. Even with the low cost of material used to make our modern pennies, it still costs the US Mint more to make a penny than they are actually worth. Now when there is talk about completely eliminating the US penny, many American's will cry foul in protesting this movement, as if they are losing something that is very important to our U.S. monetary system .

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #30
rotorwrench

If it costs 1.01 cent to make a penny then it is a loss. They have been made at a loss for a long time now but I bet way more money is lost by the government in just about every other thing that they do.

If folks would turn in their buckets full of pennies every now and then, they wouldn't need to stamp out near as many as they do. The zinc penny is a total loss since it will deteriorate in just about any damp environment. It doesn't take long before they look like a slug from an electrical box. At least the copper ones last the test of time. A hundred years from now, folks will still be digging up copper pennies but they won't find any old zinc ones.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #31
RalphG

We quit making pennies here in Canada a year or two ago. I haven't missed them. Still got a few cans of the old ones accumulated from over the years.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #32
flathead4rd

The wheat penny's are solid copper. The newer penny's are made of Zinc and will probably deteriorate over time and not be found.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #33
robert dick

cruising around town - come to a steep hill -- wind it up in 2nd and listen to the music all the way down --of course agravating the hell out of the neighbors.
robert dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #34
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
If it costs 1.01 cent to make a penny then it is a loss. They have been made at a loss for a long time now but I bet way more money is lost by the government in just about every other thing that they do.

If folks would turn in their buckets full of pennies every now and then, they wouldn't need to stamp out near as many as they do. The zinc penny is a total loss since it will deteriorate in just about any damp environment. It doesn't take long before they look like a slug from an electrical box. At least the copper ones last the test of time. A hundred years from now, folks will still be digging up copper pennies but they won't find any old zinc ones.
You are correct, and not wanting to get too political here, what the government loses making what I would call modern "trash pennies" is a mere pittance of what is actually lost overall, in other areas, each day.
One thing I have noticed is that most of todays generation does not even want to carry a modern US penny, and when they get them in change from making a purchase, they just throw them away, anywhere they happen to be at that time.
The real copper and copper alloyed coinage of yesteryear will in most cases last a very long time in the ground. I know this based on another hobby that I enjoy of searching for rellics and artifacts that have been lost most anywhere we look, many many moons ago. With our relatively short history here in the States, we can only find copper coinage from just before, and during our Colonial days, or about 400 to 450 years old. Now, in other countries, in and around Europe, we have found copper and bronze based coinage lost or hidden hundreds of years BC. It's mind boggling to see what's in places like the Brittish Museum's in the way of ancient coinage that has been removed from the ground in just recent times.
Now, how does this all relate to Henry's early Ford V-8's from '32 to '53 ('54 in Can)? Well, I can say that I have personally found, and have seen others find, copper based World's Fair and Exposition coins and tokens made by the Ford Motor Co., back in the thirties, that are in near perfect condition after spending 80+ years in the ground
Back to the garage!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #35
Kray_Z-1

I used modern pennies and they just flew out the exhaust after a few mins of running.
Kray_Z-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #36
G.M.

In the late 40's we used pennies and on a winter weekend night we would meet
late at the Hot Shop at about 65th and Market street. Market street is the main
street East and West through Philly. A group of Hot Rodders would head into Philly
heading North on some side street like 54th street. These were old narrow streets
with row houses on both sides and wind up in 1st gear and let it back down with
the duals rapping and rattling the window. All the lights would come on in the
houses. If they ever caught us they would have rung our necks. I now have some
old Fords with nice mellow pipes but the pennies are a pain to install and hard to remove. I cut 2 pieces of about 20 gauge sheet metal about 1 5/8" long and
about 1" wide. I bent a 90 degree bend 3/8 to a 1/2" on one end of the 1" side of
both. Now you can loosen the intake manifold bolts and shake the manifold loose
and slip these parts in on both sides to block the heat riser holes. They are thin
enough that the gasket will seal them. If you want to remove them in the winter
you can. G.M.