Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #21
chopo

Default Re: Use oil additives or not?

Good oil and a lil mmo

dont scare me i poop easy
chopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #22
Purdy Swoft

I've used Marvel mystery oil in the fuel and the crankcase. When I used 40# non detergent, back in the mid 90s, I added marvel and besides reducing friction it has a detergent effect. There is a product called Restore sold at WalMart. Its good for worn engines and it makes a noticable difference. I now use WalMart 20w50 in all of ours.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #23
jr-41ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
I would NOT put MMO into an engine, except maybe a week before an oil change. MMO is terrific stuff, but it's a solvent and I don't want anything that may break down the oil's lubricating abilities.
Terry

I will be omitting the MMO when I do the next oil change. Once I get the big jug of 30 wt conventional oil used up, will be switching to Mobil 1 synthetic, like my other 4 vehicles.
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #24
redbelly52

Thanks to all for your input. Its good for a novice like me to get the opinions from folks with experience with Model-A's.
Someone in this thread noted that the PTFE in Slick-50 will coat the inside of an engine. I have seen it on one of my engines during a teardown. Slick-50 is definitely not for use on a newly rebuilt engine. And I have also noted that on both the Toyotas that I have purchased new, (1993 and 1999), both of them began using oil through the valve guides at around 160K. I used the Slick-50 on both, starting at around 50K miles. (Was the S-50 responsible? Who knows.)
I have used it in my 1952 8N tractor for years, and with a 6 volt system, it does make the engine turn over faster at starts. The only negative issue I have noted is that the spark plugs foul a little quicker. A 10 minute cleaning fixes that.
I guess its like so many other things in life, a trade-off.
redbelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #25
Karl

Well I've used additives and I believed that the car ran better -However lets look at it rationally- There is huge money to be made if an oil company finds an additive that does only half of what we think they do. So if the additives are so good why aren't they added to our oils already by the oil company -Perhaps they are (but I doubt it) in any case if they are then that means we don't need to add extra. I think my belief that additives work is purely psychological ! If you look at the make up of additives they often contain a lot of very low weight oil (5W or less) which will make things run a bit freer but only for about 10 minutes!

Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

Adding KRAP to quality detergent oil is about as DANGEROUS as adding KRAP to a BOX CAKE MIX!!!
"DON'T MESS WITH SUCCESS" Uncle Jemimah
Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #27
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
So if the additives are so good why aren't they added to our oils already by the oil company -Perhaps they are (but I doubt it) in any case if they are then that means we don't need to add extra. I think my belief that additives work is

Karl
I always sort of thought that too. If a great new additive were invented that actually contributed to engine life, the oil companies would be all over it. As it is the products that they do use are very specific and intended for particular applications. No oil company that I have heard of puts PTFE in their product. I sell gearboxes into the Industral market. Heavy duty, tough, high shock, applications. There is no Teflon in our recommended lubricants.

Furthermore in many applications, the oil is not only the lubricant but also a crucial participant in displacing heat form the hottest parts of the application to the areas where water or air convection can remove the heat. Unauthorized additives can interfere with the oil's ability to perform that job.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #28
Barney

Hi, i use only SAE 30 non-detergend oil (Motorex SAE30, for Prewar-Cars). I think, additives are mainly for the purse of the manufacturer.
Greetings from Switzerland
Barney
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #29
Terry,NJ

Hey! We're all running something different in our babies! From HD 30 Straight wgt oil Non Detergent to 10w30 HD, From Walmarts bargain oil (Mobil?) to Rotella to Mobil one synthethic to 20-50 WOW that Must be hard starting in cold weather. I had a 4cyl Ford Fairmount once that wouldn't spin fast enough to start at +10 degF. Had to drain it all out and put 10 w 40 to get it to start. So anyway, Is there an oil that a mod A WON"T run on. I don't think so! I always had trouble wrapping my mind around PTFE in an engine. I just couldn't see it lasting under cylinder heats. My thoughts were confirmed by a guy over in "Yesterday's tractors", who was a "Tric_______ ologist". This was a Dr. of friction. Studying friction was what he did for a living and his analysis of Teflon in an engine was that it was a joke. But, back to oils, The wide range of oils show just how forgiving these engines really are. It doesn't matter which oils you use, it will be all right. Just change it regularily.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #30
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Terry, have u tried adding cinnamon?
at the very least your oil would taste better when it drips in your face at an oil change!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #31
BlueSunoco

...and using synthetic, and changing every 500 miles, would be kinda pricey!!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #32
prpmmp

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles I believe this has been posted before! It's long but very interesting!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #33
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
...and using synthetic, and changing every 500 miles, would be kinda pricey!!
No need to change synthetic every 500 miles (or other modern oils) every 500 miles.

The 500 mile interval would have come about because there were only crappy oils available at the time the cars were made: single viscosity non-detergent. There have been VAST improvements since then!

The world is no longer flat
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #34
Pete

Consider this. Years ago many of the additive companies claimed a certain percentage increase in horsepower by using their additive. This claim is not so prevalent in advertising any more but IF IT WERE. You could add several different additives and come up with a 200 hp model A engine with no mechanical modifications. Neat stuff!!
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #35
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanw View Post
No need to change synthetic every 500 miles (or other modern oils) every 500 miles.

The 500 mile interval would have come about because there were only crappy oils available at the time the cars were made: single viscosity non-detergent. There have been VAST improvements since then!

The world is no longer flat
And the roads were gravel and the cars without air filters.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #36
brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
Hi, i use only SAE 30 non-detergend oil (Motorex SAE30, for Prewar-Cars). I think, additives are mainly for the purse of the manufacturer.
Greetings from Switzerland
Barney
X2

Non detergent oil lets particles settle to bottom of pan....detergent oil keeps the particles in suspension, on a engine with a filter its not a problem....so on my model a i only use non detergent oil
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #37
tbirdtbird
BANNED

So, how do you get the particles out of the valve chamber? And the dipper trays?

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 11-30-2013 at 07:49 PM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #38
tbirdtbird
BANNED

These oil discussions are a waste of bandwidth. There is no evidence to suggest that anyone has ever changed their ways because of these ad nauseum oil threads. Each person is convinced that their way is the best and only way to do things. Myth trumps scientific advancement every time. Like trying to convert a Baptist to a Catholic.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #39
prpmmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
These oil discussions are a waste of bandwidth. There is no evidence to suggest that anyone has ever changed their ways because of these ad nauseum oil threads. Each person is convinced that their way is the best and only way to do things. Myth trumps scientific advancement every time. Like trying to convert a Baptist to a Catholic.
I do like reading about all the different ways we treat our toys, all I know is when I change my oil hot it flow like water!!! So when I start my engine cold I want my oil thin and flow like water(if its good when it hot its good when it cold!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #40
jkeesey

Ive seen flathead engines literally run on chocolate milk (dumb kids). As long as it has oil it will be fine.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote