Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #61
rotorwrench

Default Re: Overdrive - Lincoln vs. Columbia

The Tremec T170 is actually a top loader 3-speed with an overdrive gear added. F-150 pickups had them for a couple of years in the mid 80s on straight 6 engines & 302 V8s. There are some good threads on here about them being modified for a torque tube drive. A person would need the usual adapter to bolt it up and it is a big transmission so the torque tube may need to be shortened.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:36 PM   #62
Chisel

The T170 is only 2 inches longer than the original Ford transmission so you have to shorten the torque tube and drive shaft by 2 inches. Fits like it was made for the 35 to 40 frame. No messing with the wishbone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16f22e0c602d03e80845722034c854d9.jpg (28.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1556.jpg (63.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1560.jpg (68.7 KB, 28 views)

Evil Lurks...for those that don't carry a side arm!!!
Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #63
Tim Ayers

Dang, looks good. Curious, how much of an O/D does it give?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #64
Ol' Ron

The one from the 6 cyl is 36% I have one in my truck behind a 280 CI engine and the OD Is quite an RPM drop. But I love it. It's behind an 8BA, made the adapter from a stock steel bell housing. Using open drive.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #65
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
The one from the 6 cyl is 36% I have one in my truck behind a 280 CI engine and the OD Is quite an RPM drop. But I love it. It's behind an 8BA, made the adapter from a stock steel bell housing. Using open drive.
Wow, that's a big drop. From the picts, it looks like a hog's head will bolt up to it. Is that accurate?

Can someone give me a more finite range these transmissions were offered in F-150's? I'd like to pick one up just to have in case. I already have a 4 cly. S-10 T-5 speed, but I like the Ford set-up better.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #66
rotorwrench

Post #1 of this thread has a hogs head adapter.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...highlight=T170

Just search T170 and you can find most of the important info on these.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #67
Ol' Ron

No, But the hogs head cam be drilled to adapt it to a 59 or earlier block. The one for the 302 has a lower percentage OD than the 6,bit I forgot what it waz.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #68
rotorwrench

The Code BV ones I've seen are a 27.6% overdrive. I think they were mostly used on 302 engines. The 36.9% was even used on some 351 engines. The other one for 300 6-cylinders was 41.1% which is a pretty substantial drop. T170 RTS is the one to look for. There is a link to a list of the two digit codes on that link from Miss Victoria I posted.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #69
Jason in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisel View Post
The T170 is only 2 inches longer than the original Ford transmission so you have to shorten the torque tube and drive shaft by 2 inches. Fits like it was made for the 35 to 40 frame. No messing with the wishbone.
Thanks for posting those photos Chisel. I was trying to figure out the difference in stock bock vs the T170 a week and a half ago. (I love the T170s by the way)

Zach - I just spent a week in the mountains with my A banger/39 trans/Volvo Overdrive. I couldn't live without 2 1/2. Being able to split gears made my car race past the others that were running the 3 speed with overdrive.

So, conceptually, to me, an overdrive option that allows you to also split gears is better than just a straight transmission with an extra 4th speed overdrive option.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #70
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
Thanks for posting those photos Chisel. I was trying to figure out the difference in stock bock vs the T170 a week and a half ago. (I love the T170s by the way)

Zach - I just spent a week in the mountains with my A banger/39 trans/Volvo Overdrive. I couldn't live without 2 1/2. Being able to split gears made my car race past the others that were running the 3 speed with overdrive.

So, conceptually, to me, an overdrive option that allows you to also split gears is better than just a straight transmission with an extra 4th speed overdrive option.
Jason:

Hhhmm, makes sense.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #71
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The whole idea is a wider range of overall gear ratios, from low speed acceleration to highway cruising. Working with just the final drive has to handicap the car's performance at one end or the other.
A modern alternative that sounds good is the Mitchell overdrive, a two speed trans that is sold built into a replacement torque tube for I think all '28-48 Fords. It has been getting good reviews from people who have one, and is a bolt-in replacement for stock tube.
Non traditional and very ugly, but since it lives in the darkness below the floor no one will see it.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote