Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
GQ

Default transmission leak

Hi,

Just registered and this is my first post. I'm a complete newbie so I have a lot to learn. I just started driving my 30 coupe and noticed a puddle from a leak under the clutch/transmission area today (just drove it yesterday about 25 minutes). Would appreciate some trouble-shooting advice, and what lubricant is preferred for the transmission. Thanks.
GQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: transmission leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ View Post
Hi,

Just registered and this is my first post. I'm a complete newbie so I have a lot to learn. I just started driving my 30 coupe and noticed a puddle from a leak under the clutch/transmission area today (just drove it yesterday about 25 minutes). Would appreciate some trouble-shooting advice, and what lubricant is preferred for the transmission. Thanks.
Welcome !
At the bottom of the clutch cover/bellhousing, there is a LARGE cotter pin in a hole. This is to allow oil leaking from the rear main to exit rather than pooling and thusly getting onto the clutch disk/pressure plate. Is that where it's leaking..as that's the 'normal' oil exiting place. If this is so, your rear main seal area may be the leak as opposed to trans.

BTW to more directly answer your Q: 600w is what suppliers sell you to use in trans. I use 170 gear oil for everthing...except engine oil.

Last edited by hardtimes; 02-28-2012 at 12:01 AM. Reason: ...
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
1931 flamingo

Welcome!! Fill out your profile (location,etc). There may be someone closeby??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
pat in Santa Cruz

odds are its engine oil as Hardtimes suggests. Trans oil can come out there, but it is usually minimal. Check the oil in the puddle to determine which. Trans oil is very thick. check trans fluid level by removing the 3/4 inch plug on the pass side of the gearbox and dip your finger in to check level.

If its the engine, well, welcome to the World of Model A Fords. Follow this link to rear main leaks causes and repairs:

http://antiqueenginerebuilding.com/REARMAINLEAK.html
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
ford1

first you need to determine if its engine oil or trans oil, engine oil will be rather thin even cold, trans oil if its the modern type will have a smell only to gear oil and it will be very heavy when cold, it its engine oil, my guess like others its coming from the rear main, to help stop the leaking it will be necessary to pull the pan and plasa gage the main, it should be around .001 or less clearance, check the rod clearances with plasta gauge also, adjust the clearances by removing shims in the rod and main caps
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
GQ

You guys are great. Thanks for all the responses so quick. I had a chance to crawl under today and unfortunately it is gear oil...thick, sticky and a little redish cast to it. The leak is coming from the Universal Joint housing and then flowing downhill toward the front of the car, dripping off the drain plug from what I think is the clutch housing. Thought I would try tightening the U-joint housing first, but would appreciate other thoughts. Thanks in advance for your help.
GQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Lawrie

You can pull the u/joint housing off by undoing the bolts,then fit new felt seal at the rear and new gaskets by sliting them in two using a sharp knife,refit using a good sealant.

lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
pat in Santa Cruz

there is a small vent hole in the shift tower, facing the seat of the car, just a bit below the top of the tower where the lever seats in the casting. It gets clogged, When it does, the increased internal pressure pushes the oil out the back and front. Poke the gunk out and clear the hole if its clogged. It should help, but repairing the felt seal and using some RTV on the paper gaskets will help too.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
Benson

GQ,

Here is a picture of vent that Pat mentioned:

If it is plugged with dirt a dental pick type tool and vacuum cleaner to suck the dirt away from the hole can be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz View Post
there is a small vent hole in the shift tower, facing the seat of the car, just a bit below the top of the tower where the lever seats in the casting. It gets clogged, When it does, the increased internal pressure pushes the oil out the back and front. Poke the gunk out and clear the hole if its clogged. It should help, but repairing the felt seal and using some RTV on the paper gaskets will help too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_Transmissiontowervent-0001.jpg (68.2 KB, 135 views)
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote