Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
sgwilson904

Default Powder Coat - Color Close to Straw?

I'm new at this and have just acquired a 29 closed cab pickup. It is an older restoration and I intend to drive it on club tours and other outings. I know the body color (Manilla Brown?) is not original to a '29 commercial body and the wheels (which should be black, I understand) are also Manilla.

I'm going to live with the color that's on there but I'd like to have the wheels powder coated to something that will set it off a little better, something that was an original color for Model A's of other body styles. I like Straw but my local powder coating guy has nothing that matches it. They're either too "vanilla/off-white" or far too "yellow."

Can anybody steer me to a powder coat maker and color # that most closely matches the original Straw color? Thanks for the help!
sgwilson904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Louis

Default Re: Powder Coat - Color Close to Straw?

Sgwilson,
I had the same problem getting mine powder coated, The guy did not have the tocoma cream but did have plane cream, so to save $120 and another week [to order] I went with the cream, [Ral 9001cream] I know it's not correct, And i'll never have my car judge'd, I just got tired of looking at black on black with black fenders, although I still have them on standby.
Im more into bright color's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0002.jpg (93.5 KB, 46 views)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Huckster Dave

I failed to bookmark the sight but out there someplace is a site with Model A powder coat colors.
http://www.modelawheelcolors.com/

Last edited by Huckster Dave; 02-29-2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: more info
Huckster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
VWJoe

I would just paint them the color of your choice. Its cheaper & easier to maintain (stone chips, tire changing damage, etc) and you can do it than powdercoating.
And when you want to change colors, preping the wheels for the new color will be alot easier. In the end, they will look just as good maybe better because you did it.

Joe,,,
VWJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Gary WA

Straw is RAL1002 49/22590 www,tigerdrylac.com
Old 03-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
sgwilson904

Thanks so much to all who helped, especially Huckster Dave who pointed me to ModelAWheelColors.com. That fellow seems to know his stuff and says he has worked with several Model A'ers up in the Seattle area where his business is located.

BTW, I bet most of YOU knew this already but he told me Straw (the color I THOUGHT I wanted for my wheels) was never a wheel color, just a color used for striping. It was Tacoma Cream on the wheels, he said, which is so similar to Straw that while the wheels LOOK to be that color, the cream is actually slightly different.

Anyway, I bought 5 pounds and will use his Tacoma Cream which should give me exactly the look I wanted. Thanks again!

Last edited by sgwilson904; 03-01-2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling
sgwilson904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwilson904 View Post
Thanks so much to all who helped, especially Huckster Dave who pointed me to ModelAWheelColors.com. That fellow seems to know his stuff and says he has worked with several Model A'ers up in the Seattle area where his business is located.

BTW, I bet most of YOU knew this already but he told me Straw (the color I THOUGHT I wanted for my wheels) was never a wheel color, just a color used for striping. It was Tacoma Cream on the wheels, he said, which is so similar to Straw that while the wheels LOOK to be that color, the cream is actually slightly different.

Anyway, I bought 5 pounds and will use his Tacoma Cream which should give me exactly the look I wanted. Thanks again!
Yes, most of us figured YOU knew that already so we didn't want that to sway your choice!! The striping color of Straw vs. Tacoma finds the Straw to have a little more reddish/brownish tint. Also, just so folks know, chips in powdercoated wheels can indeed be touched up with powder or liquid paint.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote