Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
34FordFabricator

Default 1932 Ford Trunk Lid Handle

If you look in the Hardware and Trim catalog issued by Ford you will see a clear representation of the 1932 Ford trunk handle. It states that it fits 5-window coupe and roadster. If you look closely you will see that there is a perfectly round hole for the lock cylinder. Ford does not make mistakes in there parts books from what I have seen.
Now I have found a completely original handle chrome over brass with a round lock cylinder. The previous owner said it came off of a very original 5-window coupe that he made into a hot rod. Everyone who has seen this handle has said it is not correct because of the lock cylinder. I had a locksmith cut keys for it as they were missing. Does anyone have any documented information that would help clear this up. Below are some photos.
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32fordTRhand19.JPG (37.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 32fordTRhand20.JPG (37.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 32fordTRhand1.JPG (24.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 32fordTRhand2.JPG (24.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 32fordTRhand3.JPG (33.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 32fordTRhand4.JPG (25.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 32fordTRhand5.JPG (24.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 32fordTRhand6.JPG (38.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 32fordTRhand7.JPG (36.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 32fordTRhand8.JPG (61.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 32fordTRhand9.JPG (59.9 KB, 73 views)
34FordFabricator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 Ford Trunk Lid Handle

Bill,

Perhaps the BFRC in Dearborn has a copy of the original engineering drawing(s) and engineering release forms for the handle that might show an alternative design that accepts something other than the Hurd lock cylinder. Based on the hardware catalogue, the case is somewhat weakened given that the lock cylinder shown therein for this application is the Hurd version.

As for the parts catalogues of the era being error free, you're kidding, right?
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
David J

I consider them to be some of the best info out there and my favorite is March 34 . BUT there is a sheet of paper inside the front page with the errors I am aware of noted . Clueless on 32 handles but my 33 trunk 5w & 34 rumble ruster have stainless handles with the normal Hurd lock cyl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Bill,

As for the parts catalogues of the era being error free, you're kidding, right?
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Terry,OH

It would appear to me, the drawing in the 34 Hardware book, of this handle, are artist renderings and not actual photos of this part. Ford did make mistakes in their parts books! In 36 they published the entire book without the regulators and channels and had to publish an additional addendum to the book. Note what appears as sharp edges in the handle edges, even your handle has much smoother rounded edges. By 34 the lock cylinder hole for the 34 handle, as shown in the 34 Hardware book, changed to the more typical shape with the addition of the small hole on the side so the Hurd or B & S lock cylinder could be removed. The lock cylinder in your lock is made by what Manufacturer? Does your lock cylinder have pins for locking as both of the above mentioned cylinders have? Is there a code on the side of the cylinder? I too have a 34 trunk handle that is Nickel plate over brass, but it has the typical lock cylinder hole shape. I agree with Dave your best bet is to do more research.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
true blue 32 man

Hello First off let me say that in nearly 50 years of fooling with 32 Fords I have NEVER seen Genuine #@ Ford Door or Trunk/rumble handles that were not made with ALL STainless outer pcs(4) outer clad , back clad,tube, and bezel. Starting in 1933 the outer clad was still stainless, But some of the other (3) component pcs, back clad , tube and bezel started to be partially replaced with stamped brass, chrome plated. By 1934 nearly all (4) component pcs were brass chrome plated. ALL ORIGINAL Ford Production Trunk/Rumble handles had the familiar Hurd lock cylinder opening and the small hole for lock cylinder removal regardless of whether they were ALL STAINLESS(1932) or partial brass (1933) or all brass (late1934) If this came out of a very early 32 , and since it is not ALL STAINLESS could this be a preproduction handle with the carryover round Model A style lock. If its not ALL STAINLESS its not 1932 IMHO
true blue 32 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Carl

I believe the drawing of the trunk handle in the hardware catalog was intended to be a representative illustration of the handle; not exact. Bill, you either have a very rare handle or maybe an excellent locksmith of old modified it for a round lock assembly; I'm just thinking out loud.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
Andy

It looks like a repo part to me. It even has a crack in the lower hat part just like my Vintique one. It does not show any age where it should. The cad parts should be dull or bare.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote