Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #21
alchemy

Default Re: Restorations

Wow. There's a lot of hot rodders on the Fordbarn. I'm surprised you all admit to the carnage you perform.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #22
cmbrucew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Nice to hear from am ex navy may I was on the DDE 465
Hi Ron
Here is your boat.
http://www.hullnumber.com/DD-465
Bruce
Old 11-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #23
Ol' Ron

I think the real carnage is the fact that the younger generations don't really care for the originals, once they drive one. I don't actualy consider this type of modification HOT RODDING them, more or less making them easier to drive and enjoy. Keeping the Flathead is a mus,t as it will still preform as well as some of those rice burners.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #24
rockfla

I'm 49 years old and I like driving the V8's basically "as they are built"! I am totally on board with improvement with regard to points, 6V to 12V conversions (given the unreliability of new 6V stuff and the seemingly diminishing supply of good material) etc. etc. etc. I was taught from as long as I can remember that hot rodding was "crap". I still love them "as original" whether they are trailer queens or "original" or somewhere in between, but disc brakes, electric seats out of Lincoln, power steering, etc etc crosses the line (for ME). If someone wants to do that with their car, that's their car, their money, their business and whether I like it or not doesn't matter. But if it were not for trying to keep them "original" (or as close to that as possible) what is this site and forum for???????
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #25
Shu47

I can see and understand both sides but I would have to say for a daily driver putting in some modern equipment like brakes, upgraded ignition or other safety features is a great idea and generally makes the vehicle more drivable/reliable. I don't think that these improvements will really make much difference on if the younger crowd will keep them around. Might help a little but the real drive people have for keeping them on the road is a love of old cars. And you either have that or your don't.
Shu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #26
DavidG

This topic seems to come up from time to time and I can't help but wonder why. Restorers who stick strictly to originality don't start threads like this one. Does that mean the don't feel the need for affirmation that they are doing the right thing (as they see it)?

Live and let live; there are many facets to this hobby and not one of them is "correct" in all senses of the word. If we believe that the majority of the votes always produce the best outcome, how do we explain the results of presidential elections?

I doubt if the basic premise stated at the beginning that restoration parts will be harder to come by down the road than parts for "drivers" is accurate. In fact, quite the opposite is likely true as the "drivers" consume all the remaining moving parts that haven't been manufactured for at least 50+ years.

Every time one ventures out on the road in a vehicle built in the flathead era they up the odds that they'll return home in a pine box. Occupant protection was not a design criteria for automobiles until after the last flathead-powered vehicle was built. You can upgrade brakes, suspension, and all manner of operating characteristics but you cannot change the fact that, even with seat belts and shoulder harnesses, what you are riding in was not designed with occupant survival as a priority or even a secondary consideration.

Our heirs will know this better than we do and whether it's a driver or strict restoration, the vehicles will stay in garages except for perhaps an occasional Sunday spin on a back road and that assumes that our heirs care enough to hold on to them.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote