Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2023, 01:49 PM   #1
dfoster

Default 1939 Ford Convertible frame

I've recently purchased a 1939 Ford Deluxe Convertible. In the process of taking the convertible frame off to restore. I've noticed that all the joints seem seized up for the frame operate freely. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve this? I have removed everything and all pieces have been carefully media blasted. Any advice would be appreciated. Also interested in spare parts or a spare frame if anyone has something laying around in good condition willing to sale.
dfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:13 PM   #2
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Default Re: 1939 Ford Convertible frame

Sandblast it and check it out for rust before painting.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:29 PM   #3
47topless

Is your car a convertible coupe or convertible sedan? (Rumble seat or no?)
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:59 PM   #4
Veeder

Right or wrong (but it worked for me) I spent countless hours with a can of Wd40 and a beer :-)… and slowly moved each joint back and fourth until everything was moving smoothly. Very time consuming but it worked.
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:41 AM   #5
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

I have a few spares for a 39 deluxe convertible.
Shipping from New Zealand is not too high.
SwoopNZ.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 05:02 AM   #6
Mart

I just realised we're talking about the top frame, not the chassis. Just mentioning it in case anyone else was thinking the same.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:43 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Any corrosion growth at all will cause tightness at movable joints. If penetrant and working doesn't loosen it up then disassembly may be required. If it's riveted together then it complicates things a lot.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:49 AM   #8
deuce_roadster

If you have to take it apart, take LOTS of detailed pictures before you begin. Include which fasteners go where. I recently went through this with a Brand X convertible.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:55 AM   #9
blucar

Many of the joint fasteners on convertible tops are riveted. I would be very slow to remove the rivets because it is very difficult to replace the rivets.
A good penetrating oil like BLASTER will loosen the joints, a second option is to use a combination of heat from an electric heat gun with a good penetrating oil.
I have been involved with the restoration of three pre 40 convertibles all of which were Briggs bodies. Many of the top fasteners have chrome plated heads which are unobtainable. I had to have new bolts made for the connections with bolts. Many of the bolts are shoulder bolts that have to go through two layers of steel, therefore the shoulders have to be smooth, no threads on the shoulders.
I had bolts made out of stainless steel, which I polished, thereby simulating chrome on the exposed side. I had nuts made that simulated a rivet head with a countersunk hex hole for tightening on the concealed side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 Plym top assy.9.jpg (49.8 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg 39 Plym top assy.10.jpg (64.6 KB, 225 views)
Old 03-16-2023, 12:04 PM   #10
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
Many of the joint fasteners on convertible tops are riveted. I would be very slow to remove the rivets because it is very difficult to replace the rivets.
A good penetrating oil like BLASTER will loosen the joints, a second option is to use a combination of heat from an electric heat gun with a good penetrating oil.
I have been involved with the restoration of three pre 40 convertibles all of which were Briggs bodies. Many of the top fasteners have chrome plated heads which are unobtainable. I had to have new bolts made for the connections with bolts. Many of the bolts are shoulder bolts that have to go through two layers of steel, therefore the shoulders have to be smooth, no threads on the shoulders.
I had bolts made out of stainless steel, which I polished, thereby simulating chrome on the exposed side. I had nuts made that simulated a rivet head with a countersunk hex hole for tightening on the concealed side.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:23 AM   #11
blucar

If you review the pix I attached to my earlier thread you will note that the header wood header panel and rear main bow is made out of laminated wood.
The original front header on my 39 conv was made out of laminated 3/4" oak. shaped to size.
I bought a new header from a company that claimed their headers were duplicates of the originals. The new panels were made from one piece of wood which did not match the contour of the windshield, and would not sit straight on the windshield frame, missing by over 1/4".
The man I bought the header panel from claimed he had been making convertible bows and header panels for years, and that he had never had a complaint. In other words, my problem was T.S.
I canceled the transaction on my M. Card and sent the header back to the vendor.
When I need convertible top bows I have them made by a 'Boatwright', he will laminate them out of oak creating the initial shape on a 'jig' during the laminating process. Eliminates the hazel of trying to steam bend things.
Does your header panel have a metal tray built into the bottom side for weather stripping to fit into? The original front header I had, had a metal tray, therefore I have followed that pattern on the three convertibles I have rebuilt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 Plym top assy.1.jpg (62.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 39 Plym hdr-chan.2.jpg (59.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-17-2023, 01:40 PM   #12
dfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47topless View Post
is your car a convertible coupe or convertible sedan? (rumble seat or no?)
convertible coupe
Old 03-17-2023, 02:20 PM   #13
dfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
Thank you for the reply. I'll take your advice and purchase the blaster treatment.
The frame has been disassembled as far down as I can take it. I had to use heat to actually remove all the hardware from the metal shaped bow. Once I did that, it came apart easily. I plan to get it refinished once I have the joints moving freely.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:47 PM   #14
aandkt

WHEN i GOT MY 36 CABRIOLET THE TOP IRONS WERE AS IF WELDED IN A HEAP.
I USED GIBS PENETRATING SPRAY. IT TOOK A WHILE BUT EVERYTHING IS LOOSE AND WORKD FREELY.
aandkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 07:09 PM   #15
svm99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I just realised we're talking about the top frame, not the chassis. Just mentioning it in case anyone else was thinking the same.
Yep, took me a bit also to realize the same
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:01 PM   #16
blucar

I have to admit that when I first read the tread 'Convertible Frame' I could not figure out why someone would want the connections/joints to be flexible. After re-reading the thread it dawned on me that the man was talking about the convertible 'Top' assembly, not the chassis frame.
Of course most people should know that the chassis/frame for early cars, pre-41 are the same, open, closed and pickups are basically the same.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:05 PM   #17
paul2748

Gibbs, Kroil and PB Blaster are among some of he best penetrants to loosen things up.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote