Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
CB919ER
Senior Member
 
CB919ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 114
Default heavy steering

I've driven cars without power steering before and I've never had a problem. I know the steering is quite heavy when the car isn't moving, but it always seemed to get easier once going,

I drove my car home yesterday from Seymour, TN back to Soddy-Daisy, and there were a couple times on some back roads it was all I could do to get the car to turn. Also, it feels as if the steering is sticking and not wanting to return to center. I can turn the wheel in a corner and let go and the steering will stay where I let go.

Is this normal? or is there something else I need to be looking into. I checked my Mechanics handbook for help with possible lubrication of the steering system but didn't have much luck. I probably over looked it somewhere.

Thanks for any help/advice.
CB919ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
Barry B./ Ma.
Senior Member
 
Barry B./ Ma.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southbridge, Ma.
Posts: 1,610
Default Re: heavy steering

Check your toe in and the kingpin thrust bearings should be taking the load and is the steering bax adjusted properly ? You might consider the teflon rod bushings for the steering arms.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
SeaSlugs
Senior Member
 
SeaSlugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central, IL
Posts: 3,920
Default Re: heavy steering

Sounds like your entire steering system needs looked over and at minimum greased. Castor could be all outa whack as well. Should drive pretty much like a modern car without power steering.
__________________
1929 Model AA - Need long splash aprons!
SeaSlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
Jim Brierley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 3,256
Default Re: heavy steering

Check all steering components but sounds like a dry, or worse, gear box.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
3.6rs
Senior Member
 
3.6rs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belgistan (formerly known as Belgium)
Posts: 573
Default Re: heavy steering

You are getting older and your arm muscles aren't what they used to be...
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON
Senior Member
 
BILL WILLIAMSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FRESNO, CA
Posts: 12,558
Default Re: heavy steering

Most HARD steering is just WHAT it IS!!! Returning to center by ITSELF, is very RARE!--It's just an Old Design, HIGH EFFORT Steering.
Bill W.
__________________
"THE ASSISTANT GURU OF STUFF"
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
CB919ER
Senior Member
 
CB919ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 114
Default Re: heavy steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Check all steering components but sounds like a dry, or worse, gear box.
I'm looking over my lubrication chart and will probably start hitting all the points tomorrow night

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.6rs View Post
You are getting older and your arm muscles aren't what they used to be...
I'm only 36, I'm probably one of the youngest guys on here. (I'm aware that you are joking and being sarcastic)

[/QUOTE]
CB919ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead
Senior Member
 
Y-Blockhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 4,176
Default Re: heavy steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB919ER View Post
I've driven cars without power steering before and I've never had a problem. I know the steering is quite heavy when the car isn't moving, but it always seemed to get easier once going.

I drove my car home yesterday from Seymour...
Is this something that just happened? If so, as other have stated you need to check your steering adjustments and lubrication.

Don't start installing Teflon bushings or shortened pitman arms before rectifying the problems.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CB919ER View Post
Also, it feels as if the steering is sticking....
Sounds like your steering box needs adjustment or oil (not uncommon).
__________________
Y-Blockhead
'30 Briggs Town Sedan
'55 Ford Ranchwagon
_________________________________
And once again that is just my 1¢ worth.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH2TvmjxIFM

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-06-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
CB919ER
Senior Member
 
CB919ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 114
Default Re: heavy steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Is this something that just happened? If so, as other have stated you need to check your steering adjustments and lubrication.

Don't start installing Teflon bushings or shortened pitman arms before rectifying the problems.




Sounds like your steering box needs adjustment or oil (not uncommon).
That was only the second time I'd ever driving the car. It's be garaged for 20ish years.
CB919ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #10
3.6rs
Senior Member
 
3.6rs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belgistan (formerly known as Belgium)
Posts: 573
Default Re: heavy steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB919ER View Post
...

I'm only 36, I'm probably one of the youngest guys on here. (I'm aware that you are joking and being sarcastic)
[/QUOTE]

I don't know if you are the youngest. At age 99 they start counting from 1 again on this forum. Only 2 digits...
So if someone started all over let hear from you !
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
WHN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Connecticut Shoreline
Posts: 1,101
Default Re: heavy steering

In our 29 with a completely restored front end, when car is moving, you can drive with one hand.

I would start with a good grease job, if you can with high pressure lub gun.

Not knowing cars history but reading your notes. I would be leaning towards a group of things that might need attention.

Rebuilt suspension, front end, and brakes, must be correct. They all work together, very important.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #12
V4F
Senior Member
 
V4F's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: ca.
Posts: 2,510
Default Re: heavy steering

be sure to pack front wheel bearings also
__________________
V4f
V4F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #13
JDupuis
Senior Member
 
JDupuis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maryhill Ont Canada
Posts: 834
Default Re: heavy steering

CB919ER, I know exactly what you are talking about.
Check the steering box for oil. My 31 did the same while out on a drive one time. The oil had simply dripped out over time. Good Luck.
Great to have a young guy in our presence. . Jeff
__________________
Let's let pylons, be pylons!
JDupuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #14
CB919ER
Senior Member
 
CB919ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 114
Default Re: heavy steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.6rs View Post
I don't know if you are the youngest. At age 99 they start counting from 1 again on this forum. Only 2 digits...
So if someone started all over let hear from you !
touché good sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
In our 29 with a completely restored front end, when car is moving, you can drive with one hand.

I would start with a good grease job, if you can with high pressure lub gun.

Not knowing cars history but reading your notes. I would be leaning towards a group of things that might need attention.

Rebuilt suspension, front end, and brakes, must be correct. They all work together, very important.
I'll pick up a grease gun on my way home and lube everything I can. I see in my book that I'm supposed to us "Ford Special steering gear lubricate" in the steering box. Where can I get this stuff or what else can I use. I'm trying to take care of the car and do things right as much as possible.

Last edited by CB919ER; 02-06-2018 at 03:09 PM.
CB919ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #15
txkhog
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texarkana, TX
Posts: 61
Default Re: heavy steering

King pins are also a major concern if setting for a while. now you are turning on metal to metal with a very serious load
txkhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #16
CB919ER
Senior Member
 
CB919ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 114
Default Re: heavy steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by txkhog View Post
King pins are also a major concern if setting for a while. now you are turning on metal to metal with a very serious load
is there a trick to lubricating these? or am I pulling the spindle off?
CB919ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #17
Y-Blockhead
Senior Member
 
Y-Blockhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 4,176
Default Re: heavy steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB919ER View Post
I'm only 36, I'm probably one of the youngest guys on here. (I'm aware that you are joking and being sarcastic)
Unfortunately that's as good as you get from some...
__________________
Y-Blockhead
'30 Briggs Town Sedan
'55 Ford Ranchwagon
_________________________________
And once again that is just my 1¢ worth.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH2TvmjxIFM
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #18
1931 flamingo
Senior Member
 
1931 flamingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: new britain,ct 06052
Posts: 8,546
Default Re: heavy steering

Get a copy of the Red Book. It will answer many questions. For the steering box, get some PennRite steering box lube (NO leakee). Is there a local club near you?? Someone from it would probably be happy to help you out.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #19
CB919ER
Senior Member
 
CB919ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 114
Default Re: heavy steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Get a copy of the Red Book. It will answer many questions. For the steering box, get some PennRite steering box lube (NO leakee). Is there a local club near you?? Someone from it would probably be happy to help you out.
Paul in CT
I've got the redbook, It's a wonderful tool to help.
CB919ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #20
CB919ER
Senior Member
 
CB919ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 114
Default Re: heavy steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDupuis View Post
CB919ER, I know exactly what you are talking about.
Check the steering box for oil. My 31 did the same while out on a drive one time. The oil had simply dripped out over time. Good Luck.
Great to have a young guy in our presence. . Jeff
That's going to be my first step, that and hitting all the lube points with a grease gun.

I guess it's rare to have a guy my age with an interest in classic cars like the Model A, and T, without building them into hotrod.
CB919ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.