Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
Mike C

Default distributor problrrm?

I have a 48 f1. The engine is not original so I've been told. I bought it from a collector car dealer. It had a frame off restoration done by the previous owner. He converted it to 12v. Being the purist that I am, i wanted it to be original so I've gone back to 6v with the help of a friend. Most was done back in late May. My buddy replaced the points & condenser I was not there when he did it. Was unable to start it for a long time due to different issues. First was a short in a brand new 6v starter it wouldn't turn over and it fried the - battery terminal. Got the starter fixed and still wouldn't turn over. I figured out it had I needed to beef up my chassis ground. Turns over now. Then the fuel pump was bad. Replaced. Was able to star, but it runs awful. After about 3o seconds, white smoke comes out the rear and the carb starts flooding and I can smell raw gas out the exhaust.
Checked gap on points - perfect. Then realized the rotor was kind of loose & shakey. I have a '60 ford tractor that has a rotor retaining clip. I suspected it got lost in the tune up. Got online and discovered there wewre different distributors and clips. The only ones I could find were OBA-12213 and 7RA-12213- B. Got both plus a new rotor. the OBA is too big for the groove on the shaft and the 7RA doesn't allow me to put the rotor on the shaft. I've included pics. Thought maybe a valve might be stuck, but compression test says no. The new rotor goes on without a clip, but it doesn't seem to be tight enough.
Any suggestions what to do next?IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote