Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
Pamlico

Default Lowering my 58 rear on the cheap

I would like to drop the back end of my 58 Ranchero a little just for looks. I don't want to spend a lot of money doing it either. I also don't want to stray too far from stock. I am not buying lowering springs. While I was laying up under it pondering, I noticed where the front of the leaf spring attaches, there are 2 (one on each side) corresponding holes drilled about an inch above the stock through-bolts. I wonder if I were to relocate the attaching point there, would I realize any drop? The holes are still in the "pocket" of the spring hanger and I may only need to run a drill bit through them to correctly "size" them. Has any one tried this? It may not give me a full inch drop and I can always put them back where they were. After this post I envision hundreds of 57-59 owners running out to their Fords to look up under them to see what I'm writing about. Thanks for any and all input!
Pamlico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Lowering my 58 rear on the cheap

The rear axle housing sits on top of the leaf springs, right?
Get longer U-bolts and some 1" spacer blocks to put between the springs and axle.
You may have tire to body contact when you're done, but an inch isn't much and could be ok.
Moving the front spring mounting bolt (if it will even fit???) will only raise the axle/lower the car by half the height distance between those bolt holes.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-17-2017 at 08:58 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #3
Pamlico

Default Re: Lowering my 58 rear on the cheap

I hadn't even thought about lowering blocks! 1 inch ones would probably do it. If I don't like it, I can always remove them. Thanks!
Pamlico is offline   Reply With Quote