Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2023, 07:39 PM   #1
quickchange

Default scam or legit

Some weeks ago advertised for a 1934 hood Did get one scammer , Today recived a mail from autoparts 132 @ g mail .com , with pictures with one for $600.00 including freight, to usa address, said is in CA , Am investigating further before going further ,do the usuall things like having it picked up etc , Something rang a bell with the e mail address , sure i read on here about a scammer with that e mail , ???? Anyone have further knowledge,
Its not for me but a friend & no way will send money unless anyone can vouch for them ,Something is bit fishy ??? Derek in cool NZ,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 08:19 PM   #2
tom1948

Default Re: scam or legit

sorry, but at this time I don't believe there is anyone using a gmail address is legit.BEWARE!
tom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 08:47 PM   #3
quickchange

Thinking the same . Sure i have seen it before , Thanks
Old 07-24-2023, 09:59 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Where in California is it? California is about 800 miles long. Maybe someone is close.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:09 PM   #5
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Contact Steve Curle at Kiwi Shipping.
Do it through them.
I bought 23 cars in from the USA to NZ through them - great service - no problems.
Chris.NZ.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:37 PM   #6
51504bat

Find out where in CA the part is and tell him you'll have someone come by and pick it up and pay for it in person. If they give you some BS about its in storage and they live elsewhere walk away. If they agree, post the location here and I'm sure there is a HAMB member who would be glad to help a fellow hot rodder from down under. JMO
Old 07-24-2023, 11:43 PM   #7
quickchange

swoopnz I Use Steve & Matt at KIWI Shipping for all my shipping, Still the most reliable & cost wise of most freight forwarders, & certainly will check the seller out, Thanks
Old 07-24-2023, 11:44 PM   #8
Brian

Derek, That is a scam. Do not proceed!
Old 07-25-2023, 12:03 AM   #9
cas3

I have a Gmail address, why is that a bad thing? please educate me. Been about 15 years now, and I switched from Hotmail set up on my 1st computater in the mid 90's. Gmail is part of Google, which is the worst for tracking your data. Is it the favorite of the scammers?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 12:54 AM   #10
47topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
I have a Gmail address, why is that a bad thing? please educate me. Been about 15 years now, and I switched from Hotmail set up on my 1st computater in the mid 90's. Gmail is part of Google, which is the worst for tracking your data. Is it the favorite of the scammers?
Having a Gmail account, will allow the scammers more access to your data, but it certainly does not mean YOU are a scammer.
Like this poster, I have used Gmail for decades and I am very, very careful about getting scammed. It's just too damned hard to set up a new email.
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 03:21 AM   #11
quickchange

As suspected [email protected] is a spam, wants to fedex it out to us as his wife works for fedex ???I asked for an address, plus name in order to have it collected , so far none , Im sure i read somewhere before a warning on that e mail , So now its have fun with him , see how long can string him along , warning to others keep an eye out for these pricks,
Old 07-25-2023, 07:07 AM   #12
chap52

Ask him for his bank account number for a transfer of funds... Then ignore him.
The little jerk in may said that you should post his acct info here... but don't.... LOL Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:17 AM   #13
Mart

autoparts123 is much too generic a name for an early ford parts dealer. Name a legit parts vendor that does not have the word "ford" or "V8" in their business name, a web site with that name on it and an email address linked to that site.

Totally bogus, don't waste your time, move on.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:37 AM   #14
deuce5wndw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
autoparts123 is much too generic a name for an early ford parts dealer. Name a legit parts vendor that does not have the word "ford" or "V8" in their business name, a web site with that name on it and an email address linked to that site.

Totally bogus, don't waste your time, move on.
Well Mart I'm legit and I have obsolete parts in the name of my business. Funny story (ever notice when you get old you have a story for everything?) when I went in business in 1978 it was called The Ford Parts Warehouse. Went along great for a number of years until I got a cease and desist letter from Ford Motor Company! Man, I really told them! I said hell I didn't like that name anyway! I have been reluctant to use anything pertaining to Ford in the name of my business since.
Regards. Dale.
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:48 AM   #15
Scott52

I just sold a couple of things using craigslist and facebook market place. The first scam is "Hey I want to buy your ****. Can I pick it up now? or will you take $x? The adds have my city or general location. I say sure where will you be coming from? Most of the time the conversation ends there. If the say 20 min away, I say wht time will you be here? they answer and I give them my address. I'm 70. Young people like my kids use texting to do everything. so I try to assume these folks just don't call. You can usually figure it out by a few back and forth questions. I sold a motorcycle. He was coming from 100 miles away. We spoke on the phone and I guessed he was legitimate. We made a time for time to look at it. He showed up, had 5K cash, and we both went to the bank and had them run it thru their machine to eliminate counterfeit. All good and he left with the bike. I think I am keen to scammers, but I may be scammed by someone real good. I hope not.
Scott52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 11:54 AM   #16
Zax40

Run the photos he sent though Google image search. See if they pop up on other listings
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 12:01 PM   #17
trulyvintage

Exclamation Re: scam or legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
As suspected [email protected] is a spam, wants to fedex it out to us as his wife works for fedex ???I asked for an address, plus name in order to have it collected , so far none , Im sure i read somewhere before a warning on that e mail , So now its have fun with him , see how long can string him along , warning to others keep an eye out for these pricks,
You are not dealing with a person.
Every time you correspond you are
further risking a virus to be introduced
into your computer and/or theft of your
identity - financial information - credit.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 02:01 PM   #18
Fritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Find out where in CA the part is and tell him you'll have someone come by and pick it up and pay for it in person. If they give you some BS about its in storage and they live elsewhere walk away. If they agree, post the location here and I'm sure there is a HAMB member who would be glad to help a fellow hot rodder from down under. JMO
This is the best way to find out a scammer. Parts and payment in person only if you have any doubts. A scammer is not able to do this.

But with a name like Quickchange, I’d be worried you’d be scamming them!
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 12:32 AM   #19
quickchange

Quickchange was because we produced the Model A & V8 QUICKCHANGE REARS , STILL HAVE SPARE a ONE LEFT , BUINESS IS NOW RUN OUT OF AUSTRALIA under pacifica quickchange rears, He has given up on me sending money , wanted a deposit too hold , So all good , just buyer beware ,
Old 07-26-2023, 08:20 AM   #20
itslow

If it seems like a scam, it's a scam.
If the price is too good to be true, it's a scam.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote