Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2018, 11:00 AM   #21
wmws
BANNED

Default Re: Brake floater kit A-2051-F review

Most people don't understand how Flat Head Ted's system works. That is a good explanation in post 17. by Y-Blockhead
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:10 AM   #22
Y-Blockhead

Here is a picture of the floaters I got from Bratton's that I took off of my car. No problem installing the castle nut. Never had a problem with them and I am happy with the way they worked.

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #23
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
what does the sliding pin do when installed in the anchor bolt and then the wedge is installed over it. I just don't see what the pin does if the wedge can slide up and down and side to side.
thanks

Here goes again . The anchor bolt isn't as wide as the original anchor bolt. The sliding pin that goes through the anchor bolt is longer than the anchor bolt is wile . this allows the pin to slide , side to side .The slot in the lower wedge contacts the sliding pin rather than the anchor bolt . The sliding pin allows the wedge to center as it moves downward . this gives side to side centering of the lower part of the brake shoes .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #24
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Here goes again . The anchor bolt isn't as wide as the original anchor bolt. The sliding pin that goes through the anchor bolt is longer than the anchor bolt is wile . this allows the pin to slide , side to side .The slot in the lower wedge contacts the sliding pin rather than the anchor bolt . The sliding pin allows the wedge to center as it moves downward . this gives side to side centering of the lower part of the brake shoes .
Exactly...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:30 PM   #25
Tom Endy

I have had Flat Head Ted's brake floater system on my Victoria for years. The rest of the original brake system should be in good condition before installing the floaters. There are also several tricks that need to be understood as well. For one, the arms that attached to the shoes that have a wedge on the other end were not designed to be in constant movement as they will be with the installation of the floaters. For this reason they should be very smooth, with the protruding seam filed off so they will slide back and forth easily.

Ted did not originally include what he calls "pins" for the back brakes. They were an extra charge. The two pins are a mirror image of each other for left and right. They are an eccentric for the purpose of centering the back shoes. They are difficult to install. What I did was glue a piece of paper to the flat surface and mark each eccentric 1 through 4, so I would know which I was using.

I think what the suppliers are selling is a knock-off of Ted's system. Ted's system is expensive, but it is very well made.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:46 AM   #26
jerry shook

I agree with Bob Flat Head Ted is the best.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #27
Purdy Swoft

If a person understands the original brakes and can center them they are as good as any . When the lining and tracks wear , its back to the drawing board . With full floating brakes, when the lining wears out you can replace the lining and mostly go on about your business . Teds system doesn't use tracks and you won't have to go back through the centering process . I'm use to the original setup and am not receptive to new tricks . The original setup, looks original . The lower floating wedge setup is a big improvement for the original brakes and doesn't show. I guess it is sometimes difficult to get an old dog to practice new tricks .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote