Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #101
Cool Hand Lurker

Default Re: How do you avoid people swarming your car when you stop?

[QUOTE=CarlG;1160072]Top 10 questions I get asked (in no particular order)

1. How much did you pay for it?
2. Did you buy it new?
3. Did you restore it yourself?
4. What mileage do you get?
5. How fast will it go?
6. How long have you had it?
7. Can I take a picture?
8. Is it all original?
9. What year is your Model T?
10. What is the horsepower?

I answer these and others very willingly. Although it gets a little tiring when at a show, and there is a placard in the window answering most of these questions. [/QUOTE]

All of these are the kind of questions asked by people who know nothing and are curious. No matter if it is a car show or a gem & mineral show. Like most of the people attending shows. Isn't that one of the big reasons why we have shows, for other people?
Sure, they can read all about it but it is much more fun for them if they can actually talk to the guy who owns one. I expect the questions and have actually initiated the conversation myself when I see a family walking by and they appear to want to ask a question but are timid.
Maybe being 'bothered' when stopping at a store is a different situation but the reasons are the same.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #102
Tom Wesenberg

To keep people away you can either tie a dead skunk to the rear bumper, or give the engine half throttle, then turn the key off, and back on just before it stops. The loud explosion will make people think it's a drive by shooting and they'll all run for cover.

I've never minded answering what I paid for the car or what it's worth. A year ago I had my 1950 Studebaker in South Bend and was asked what it's worth. I told the man I thought it was worth about $12,000. He said "oh no, it's worth a lot more than that, more like $100,000." Sure wish he had the money to buy it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #103
Bruce Adams

...and I often get "Do you drive it?" and they are amazed when I tell them I have driven it to New Jersey, CT, and Mass. from Long Island. I always wonder how they figure it got to where it is parked?
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:17 AM   #104
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
... Are you doing the Seward trip Saturday? ...
Yes, driving Larry's car. You going? This is our annual "Fall Colors" Tour. 250 miles round trip (from Anchorage), add another 120 from your place.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:21 AM   #105
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
...and I often get "Do you drive it?" and they are amazed when I tell them I have driven it to New Jersey, CT, and Mass. from Long Island. I always wonder how they figure it got to where it is parked?
Don't forget the trailer queens ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #106
Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Yes, driving Larry's car. You going? This is our annual "Fall Colors" Tour. 250 miles round trip (from Anchorage), add another 120 from your place.
Yes my truck is ready to go. Heidi has been talking about it for two weeks.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #107
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
To keep people away you can either tie a dead skunk to the rear bumper, or give the engine half throttle, then turn the key off, and back on just before it stops. The loud explosion will make people think it's a drive by shooting and they'll all run for cover.

I've never minded answering what I paid for the car or what it's worth. A year ago I had my 1950 Studebaker in South Bend and was asked what it's worth. I told the man I thought it was worth about $12,000. He said "oh no, it's worth a lot more than that, more like $100,000." Sure wish he had the money to buy it.

I'm on the other end of that spectrum, I think my Chevy is worth $100,00, but the insurance company says it's only 38K.
No matter, it's still priceless to me, considering we only paid $350 (1974) for it, and drove it home.
Yep, think we'll keep it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM006405.jpg (150.3 KB, 6 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #108
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
I'm on the other end of that spectrum, I think my Chevy is worth $100,00, but the insurance company says it's only 38K.
No matter, it's still priceless to me, considering we only paid $350 (1974) for it, and drove it home.
Yep, think we'll keep it.
change companys
get your own appraisal
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #109
Jim Huseby

Some people have special gifts for handling the same questions several times a day, year after year: my wife with thirty-five years of teaching, and each kid thinks he or she is asking the question for the first time, or the attitude of students and parents to be constantly dealt with. I think of waitresses, car hops, bar maids, convenience store girls and bank tellers. They treat every hit or every attempt at humor, who knows how many times a day, as genuinely clever, generally with grace, and go about their day. I couldn't do it. (another reason I'm glad I'm not a girl). I try to learn from them and, most of the time, make anyone who approaches me feel good about themselves, though touching my car or attempting to get in it can immediately push me beyond my characteristic kindliness. The same for putting a foot on the running board or bumper. I also keep my friends and relatives as friends by not letting them touch or ride in my cars.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote