Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #21
bart78

Default Re: Parts Hoarding: a Discouragement to Newbies?

During the 50's and 60's. People did not have to hoard. Most of this stuff was easy to find and cheap to buy.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #22
Brad in Germany

....but someday I might need that extra engine.....

Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I remember a MASH episode. They were looking for an incubator. They tracked down a supply depot that had three. When asked how much for one, the guy said not for sale. Hawkeye said "but you have three". The stock clerk said "but if I give you one then I'll only have two".

Same with hoarders, they may have 36 carbs but if they sell one they will only have 35.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #24
H. L. Chauvin

My good friend ericr,

You are so correct ..... while in grammar school, in our rural area, few of my grammar school classmates' parents had cars; so why collect car parts. A few had no electricity. Also, none of us had phones. I saw (2) bedroom houses with 10 people in the family -- I guess nobody wanted to sleep on stored Model A parts.

Nobody could afford a divorce & a new second wedding either, so everybody stayed married. Many who had cars would walk to church because cars were used only to go to work or used to go to church if it was raining.

We were happy with nothing of material value. Everybody had jobs & were too busy trying to make ends meet to get into trouble.

Nobody worried about locks on doors because we had nothing of real value to steal.

Sometimes difficult to imagine how things drastically changed in one generation.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:43 PM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
My good friend HL might contradict me on this, but to my belief, exaggerated hoarding is a relatively recently-discovered behavior pattern. I don't remember hearing about it in the '50s and '60s. Now, we have American Pickers, pet hoarders appearing in the news every few months, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
My good friend ericr,

You are so correct ..... while in grammar school, in our rural area, few of my grammar school classmates' parents had cars; so why collect car parts. A few had no electricity. Also, none of us had phones. I saw (2) bedroom houses with 10 people in the family -- I guess nobody wanted to sleep on stored Model A parts.

Nobody could afford a divorce & a new second wedding either, so everybody stayed married. Many who had cars would walk to church because cars were used only to go to work or used to go to church if it was raining.

We were happy with nothing of material value. Everybody had jobs & were too busy trying to make ends meet to get into trouble.

Nobody worried about locks on doors because we had nothing of real value to steal.

Sometimes difficult to imagine how things drastically changed in one generation.

Maybe one reason is that when young and poor some hoarders remember that the car, or whatever was not used because of the need of a part. Maybe they remember a time of "if only we had...". When they had the chance and the means they see what they did not when younger and now collect the stuff that caused hardship.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #26
karasmer

I have been at a couple of hoarders places and was blown away at the sheer amount of parts, rows and rows and rows..., all I was thinking was a guy could make close to a million on Ebay yet the owners seemed to live slightly above poverty and would not sell a thing. Someday there could be a mega auction.
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #27
triumphleroy

I know that as a lad we had nothing! Dad rode that little Doodle-Bug Scooter to work or rode the bus. We always kept all the old parts from any repair as the next time something broke this old part might be easier to patch something back up with than the newly broke one. I still at 72 years old haul away most nearly anything that is a "give me". Saved 14 Mustang Motorcycles over the years as no one wanted that "Old Piece of Junk". When they were sold off they became the next three years 1st place winners at the national Mustang Meet. I am sure that not many here on this forum know about working for $.25 an hour or mowing the widow woman's yard for a dollar. Folks today are living very well compared to the way things were years ago. We sure did not worry ourselves with looks of our vehicles as much as; will it get us there and back? Four "May Pop Tires" and a few hand tools to survive on.
Am I a Hoarder In many peoples eyes ? Who Cares?
triumphleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:26 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphleroy View Post
I know that as a lad we had nothing! Dad rode that little Doodle-Bug Scooter to work or rode the bus. We always kept all the old parts from any repair as the next time something broke this old part might be easier to patch something back up with than the newly broke one. I still at 72 years old haul away most nearly anything that is a "give me". Saved 14 Mustang Motorcycles over the years as no one wanted that "Old Piece of Junk". When they were sold off they became the next three years 1st place winners at the national Mustang Meet. I am sure that not many here on this forum know about working for $.25 an hour or mowing the widow woman's yard for a dollar. Folks today are living very well compared to the way things were years ago. We sure did not worry ourselves with looks of our vehicles as much as; will it get us there and back? Four "May Pop Tires" and a few hand tools to survive on.
Am I a Hoarder In many peoples eyes ? Who Cares?
That's the difference!! You saw value and when someone else did as well you sold the items. I see nothing wrong with that. I feel sorry for the people that that save the items and don't want to sell. Their prized possessions will more then likely be sold for scrape by family that has no idea of the worth or have the time to sort through to find the true treasures. Many as you say, worked for pennies as a child or young adults and now will little effort could live near like kings it they sold their hoard.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:33 AM   #29
DougVieyra

Almost everyone is a hoarder - of one sort or another. Some people hoard money (401K, College Fund, Retirement Fund, Raining Day Fund, etc.) . Some people hoard clothes, (Amilia Marcos liked shoes), Some people hoard books. And the list goes on.

I myself have no money, wear second-hand clothes, live in an old house. BUT I have riches untold in my basement, garage and barn. For over 50 years I have "hoarded' original Ford-made parts for my two Ford Model A's.

I did stop collecting Model A parts about 1970, when reproduction parts began becoming available. When I observed the quality differences between original and repro. - I resolved to 'hoard' all of my original Ford-made parts for potential future needs. Because I was not a 'hobbyst', but a DRIVER of the Model A, and planned on driving my Model A's until the day I die, I have a goodly supply of original parts, which I thought was a prudent move to do. Space was and is, the only real concern.

I recently read a FORUM post regarding repro. Axle shafts ($350 a piece) ending production. Whether available at $350 or not at all, either way, I felt good in having a three of them (all good Ford-made axles) laying in a corner, and a couple of complete rear ends, sitting in a cornor of my barn.

I feel good that I have a good supply of spare parts (mostly chassis / running gear / drive chain) for my two Model A's. And I sleep well at night.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 09-28-2014 at 02:38 AM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:50 AM   #30
H. L. Chauvin

I knew a guy born about 1890 who in about 1955 bought a new 1955 Lincoln.

All he talked about was that he had (2) sets of new tires for it as well as about 25 cases of lubricating oil. His reason for storing same was because as a traveling salesman, he could not buy tires & lubricating oil for his car all during WWII.

Even though he was retired in 1955, he felt comfortable with his extra tires & oil -- I always thought, more power to him -- he was happy -- takes all kinds.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #31
Wick

Try Hoarding you will like it! I did cut loose of 4 nos brake rods yesterday to help a friend out whos doing a high point truck.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #32
BRENT in 10-uh-C

This is some very interesting reading with some VERY valid opinions. So, ....let me ask this. What/Why is it we don't like Hoarding? Is it because someone else has something that we don't have? Is it coveting on our part to want something our neighbor has??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:43 AM   #33
ronn

This is America..........

hoard away!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #34
dpson

I came to the realization this year that after 40 years of buying antique cars and parts (mostly Studebaker), it was time to start downsizing. My wife and children have no real interest in the stuff and if something happened to me it would be practically given away. So far I've sold two cars and a bunch of car related items, signs, banners, etc. (the good stuff) and even used some of the proceeds to buy a Model A.

I priced the stuff reasonable, but not cheap and it cleared out a bunch of space. So my advice to you hoarders out there, don't wait until you're ready for the nursing home, get rid of the stuff while you still can. Its kind of fun, can be financially rewarding and you never know what hidden treasures you'll find that you salted away 30 years ago.
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #35
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
This is some very interesting reading with some VERY valid opinions. So, ....let me ask this. What/Why is it we don't like Hoarding? Is it because someone else has something that we don't have? Is it coveting on our part to want something our neighbor has??
No Brent it is needing something that some selfish person has three of and they choose not to sell. There should be more in life than the goal to get rich. On one of my business cards it says that " at the end of the day, it is not the jingle in my pocket that matters, but the feeling in my heart !
Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 09-28-2014 at 01:52 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #36
triumphleroy

With the cash I got from the part of my hoard that I have sold off I built a 60 foot wide 175 foot long building and proceeded to fill with my treasures! Have been told that could raise large sum of cash by selling it off but Money has absolutely no value to me unless I want a New toy. Think about it cash has been carried around in nasty billfolds being sweated on and farted on by others, seems very undesirable to me!
I have no desire to own a new vehicle, I as others say wear second hand clothes and rarely feel a need to be seen any other way. I do not own an Television, and barely have this internet devise!
Nowadays kids say they are "Going Green" by recycling their plastic sacks, and all their other none useful plastic crap! More plastic toys that were never around in us older generations days! Remember well sitting in the back seat of dad's 41 Chevrolet with the Babbitt Rod 216 carrying our family to visit dad's brother whom had just returned to Treasure Island after his service in WWII ! That trip from Dallas Texas to California was made while the only toy I had was my imagination? Dad was proud that the little engine which he had rebuilt with his own hands passed several new cars stopped with their hoods up! We slept beside the road in rest areas, and did not realize we were the POOR FOLKS!
Old 09-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #37
bart78

I am 35 and have only started to hoard the past few years. One of the main reasons is. I live in a area where most don't care for it. Most ends up going to scrap. There are some things I will sell some time. To the right person. And some things I won't. My favorite thing to hoard is flathead v8's. Mainly because I know that one day they will be very hard to find.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #38
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Brent that can be part of it, there can be several motivations. Another perception is that taking so many parts out of circulation deprives others of the chance of finding something they need.

To prove my point, here is a wartime clip from Germany from two well-known actors of that era, demonstrating hoarding. English subtitles.

http://youtu.be/VunCD-5G1VA

Last edited by ericr; 09-28-2014 at 08:22 AM. Reason: wrong clip
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #39
triumphleroy

So In Other words If YOU WANT IT it is not Hoarding But If I WANT It! IT IS HOARDING?
Old 09-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #40
bart78

The biggest mistake people make with hoarders. Is telling them they have to many and need to sell. Or assuming that they should sell and get agervated with them. I am getting 12 v8's off of one of the biggest hoarders around here. Because I told him what I was doing with them. And that they would be put to good use. And saved for years to come.