Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
tdlmomowers

Default Collector Car Insurance

Can anyone comment on which Antique Car Insurance they are using and has anyone compared rates. I am looking to insure my 1969 Ford Torino and really don't know what is the best way to go. I plan on using the car as a driver on nice days and am going to use standard licence plates instead of historical plates. I have got a quote of $107.00 dollars a year. Is this about right?
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
fordcragar

Default Re: Collector Car Insurance

You might try a search, the following was found doing a search on "collector car insurance".

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/search...earchid=549311
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
ford1

$107 is cheap depending on what you have stated its worth, and the liablity you are carrying but ask them how many miles you can drive, who can drive the car, what happens if you have an accident in the parking lot of the supermart, at a $100 a year i dont think they will cover you for what you want to do with the car, ask a lot of questions dont get ambused later down the road, make them spell out what they will and will not cover
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
Daves55Sedan

Insurance is different state by state but around here you wouldnt get away with driving anytime you want on antique insurance. You would need to prove that you were on your way to or from a particular car event if you had an accident. If you couldnt prove it, your insurance is worthless.
I live in Madison County Illinois, probably the highest insurance rates here in the entire country. I pay $250 per year for liability only insurance on a regular policy. I drive my car everyday.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
'59Edsel

I use American Collectors Insurance and am paying about $70 a year. They allow pleasure driving like you stated in your original post.
'59Edsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
fordcragar

I think that you have to decide how you are going to drive your car. If you are a causal driver the collector car insurance would probably work fine, if you plan to drive it everyday, then go with regular insurance.

If been thinking about the collector car insurance for a couple of years. The biggest factor is what are their restrictions. I just haven't looked at it hard enough to make a decision.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
Merlin

$107 a year is real good! I have Grundy on my deuce and it's 300 yearly.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
tdlmomowers

The quote that I got was from American Collectors Car Insurance. I listed the value at $8000.00 dollars which is a little high and they let you choose how many miles you think you are going to drive in a year. If I'm right, in the state of Ohio, you are limited to how many miles you can drive, if you have historical plates. I plan on using standard Ohio plates. I will check out all my options before I buy.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
Ole Don

I have Hagerty. I have not compared them with others because when I was building a roadster, they let me insure a pile of parts before it was a car. Nobody else would do that for me.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
Paul H

I have mine insured with Grundy.The premium is $111.00 per year.That's for the maximum liability and property damage allowed in Missouri and agreed replacement value of $12,000.There are no limits or stipulations on use of the car.I can drive it all I want.Only condition is that it must be parked in a locked building when not in use.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
raceron1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
I have mine insured with Grundy.The premium is $111.00 per year.That's for the maximum liability and property damage allowed in Missouri and agreed replacement value of $12,000.There are no limits or stipulations on use of the car.I can drive it all I want.Only condition is that it must be parked in a locked building when not in use.
I also have Grundy, and with the same general stipulations (stored inside) except that I have permanent, YOM plates on mine. In Michigan the permanent plate limits driving. Basically, it cannot be used as a daily driver but I don't intend for it to be so the policy fits my needs.

A general rule to use for estimating purposes - is that the insurance premium is approximately 1% of the agreed value.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
frank long island

i to have grundy my rates are $253.00 per yr in n.y with a $30,000 agreed value max.coverage no stips.
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #13
raisinhel

agreed value is paid out if the vehicle is considered totaled with no buy back option with some companies.
i dont know what company to go with i cant seem to get anything in writing.

be sure your agreed value is high enough to go right out and replace the vehicle the next day. dont 'short yourself to save a little money.
raisinhel is offline   Reply With Quote