Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2023, 10:22 AM   #21
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Frenzel

A little too Rube Goldberg looking for me. Must use a frame mounted generator.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 01:20 PM   #22
solidaxle

I guess I'm confused on the Op's query. Does he own it, manufacture them or is thinking about purchasing one? Maybe it's color choice, I don't know.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 01:47 PM   #23
Brian

"I guess I'm confused on the Op's query."

I just thought it interesting that they are being recreated, and posted it on here primarily as a matter of interest for other members. Ok?
Old 11-22-2023, 04:23 PM   #24
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxle View Post
The vacuum distributor he has maybe the best option.

I have a Malloy flat top with mechanical weights and have been considering using a vacuum advance distributor on my S.c.o.t. setup. Reason being, once you stomp on it, the timing will momentarily retard do to lack of vacuum, helping with detonation until the rpm's increase.
Going to a vacuum distributer will not be an improvement. The Mallory your using is exactly what I use on some of my supercharged flatheads such as the wife's Ital blown flathead in her Deuce coupe. Timing momentarily retarding when you stomp on it is actually not possible with how the Mallory flat cap distributor is designed and for that matter any style non vacuum distributer.
Experiencing detonation until the RPM's increase is odd any detonation when you stomp on it is a cause of a number of things. To much centrifugal advance , a lack of octane in the gas your burning and what size jets your running in the carb or carbs. The Ford flathead design is very sensitive to detonation especially when blower boost is added to the fun factor.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:25 PM   #25
solidaxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
"i guess i'm confused on the op's query."

i just thought it interesting that they are being recreated, and posted it on here primarily as a matter of interest for other members. Ok?
10:4
Old 11-22-2023, 07:31 PM   #26
solidaxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Going to a vacuum distributer will not be an improvement. The Mallory your using is exactly what I use on some of my supercharged flatheads such as the wife's Ital blown flathead in her Deuce coupe. Timing momentarily retarding when you stomp on it is actually not possible with how the Mallory flat cap distributor is designed and for that matter any style non vacuum distributer.
Experiencing detonation until the RPM's increase is odd any detonation when you stomp on it is a cause of a number of things. To much centrifugal advance , a lack of octane in the gas your burning and what size jets your running in the carb or carbs. The Ford flathead design is very sensitive to detonation especially when blower boost is added to the fun factor.
Ronnieroadster
Ronnie, Isn't the beauty of a vacuum advance it will retard timing when you open up the throttle? Where with mechanical advance you don't have that.

I run the 91 octane non-corn fuel and the plugs are showing a little rich.
Old 11-22-2023, 08:38 PM   #27
MickyTheScamp

Really awesome. I'd love to have a supercharged flatty v8 hot rod someday. Maybe after my banger is done
MickyTheScamp is offline   Reply With Quote