Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #1
JohnLaVoy

Default Jewel Dash Light

Any one have experience with using the Jewel Dash light? I was thinking about putting it on my sedan but it appears to be missing the part that goes into the dash light socket. I'm guessing they sold these with various adapters to fit which ever model car you were driving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jewel dash light.jpg (21.0 KB, 35 views)
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:46 PM   #2
Randy in ca

Default Re: Jewel Dash Light

John, if you're lucky all you have to do is remove the original cap, loosen the set screw on the jeweled cap and push into place. That said, it's a close tolerance fit - I just tried 2 different caps - one went on easily with the set screw loosened while with the other there's no way it would go until I removed the set screw and used a screwdriver to gently pry apart in the slot while pushing the cap on. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A - JEWELED DASH LAMP COVER.jpg (42.9 KB, 65 views)
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
JohnLaVoy

It appears you are attaching it to the base of the dash light, correct? That won't let you push it and twist it to turn the light on like the standard cover does. The ad for the dash light says it is for "most" cars so there must have been some piece that allows it to fit various sockets. Have you had it in a car working?
Old 10-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #4
al's28/33

Mine has it's own base which sticks out a bit more than the normal light. The contacts need to be cleaned, but otherwise it is another conversation piece.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #5
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
It appears you are attaching it to the base of the dash light, correct? That won't let you push it and twist it to turn the light on like the standard cover does. The ad for the dash light says it is for "most" cars so there must have been some piece that allows it to fit various sockets. Have you had it in a car working?
Sorry John, I guess I didn't understand all that you were asking in your original post. I doubt very much that there was ever an adapter that would mount the Jewel Light while still using the original rotating on-off assembly. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing any kind of adapter or instructions with this style of light - even NOS ones in the box. I have seen them mounted both flush and using the switch assembly as in Al's picture, but never thought at the time about the logistics of installing them flush. Personally I prefer the flush look - much neater and doesn't block off the instrument panel/speedometer as much. That said, I haven't installed one flush. If and when I do, I think I'd just have the inner assembly rotated to the "on" position and install the bulb and the Jewel cover flush. An unobtrusive switch (rocker? push button? or?) could be mounted somewhere (on gas tank tunnel?) on a wire running (in the tunnel) from the lamp to the ammeter as the original circuit was. Any reason you can see why this wouldn't work if there's no objection to a hidden switch?
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
Brad in Germany

Here are the mounting instructions that come with the "Rainbo-Cap" (Jewel Dash Light Cover):

....and here are three other photos of the rest of the box:

Hope that helps,
Brad in Maryland
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2668.jpg (25.7 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2669.jpg (33.9 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2671.jpg (39.1 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2670.jpg (38.5 KB, 150 views)
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:42 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Greatly over rated. I removed mine. The light to the dash is significantly less. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #8
JohnLaVoy

Thanks for the input, it looks like there was either another piece that I'm missing or need to make to work. I guess you replaced the whole light rather than just the cover on some while others might fit according to the instructions.