Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default position of handrails in rumble seat

My sport coupe did not come with handrails. I have bought after market with with brackets. How do I know where to place them, is there a designated spot ?
Thanks Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
Ron in Quincy

Default Re: position of handrails in rumble seat

You don't need hand rails, these go on roadsters; they are used when the top is lowered and protect the body.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Tudortomnz

Well said, but it I bet they will still go on!
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
anut

i have a set on my sport coupt just for looks look at someones roadster to get an idea
anut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
MikeK

I guess those convertible top support brackets placed on a coupe would fit into the same category as fake Landau irons, if you like that sort of misguided oddity. The original function was to keep the rear top bow and glass from hammering a print into the deck above the rear lid. Likewise, a Landau was an external hinge with a knob at the knee to assist in top raising and lowering. Hub caps, white walls, cowl bands and Quails are useless ornaments, too. I must say, I just can't live without my hub caps.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Thank you Ford friends, I think I get the message. I thought they were helping people in the rumble seat get in and out.
Thanks again. Wayne
Old 09-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Vern

Wayne, I would bet many of those "handles" get used for assisting folks in & out of rumble seats. Unless you put in some solid backing however, there is the possibility that overzealous handling might twist & bend the body panels eventually.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Kevin in NJ

A landau is lock for the top.

The hinge point of the landau iron is set through the center line of the end holes. The top has some compression on the landau when the top is up. The compression combined with the hinge point through the center line causes a positive lock in the up position.
My guess is the landau helps keep the top taught without stressing the over the door to the top of the cowl body arrangement. The top can do a lot to body alignment as the cowl is more flexible then you might think on a cabriolet. Your doors can be made seriously out of alignment with an improperly set up top.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
JBill

The halfway point on the handles matches up exactly with the top edge of the trunk or rumble lid. It's been awhile since I installed mine, but I seem to recall that then they are attached parallel to and one and three quarters inch from the body seam.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Thank you once again. When I purchased the hand rails I also purchased the support brackets that go underneath !
Old 09-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
Dan Baron

I see them all the time too. Never did like the look though. Like everyone else, found it odd that people were instaling those on coupes.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #12
Jerry Parr WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I guess those convertible top support brackets placed on a coupe would fit into the same category as fake Landau irons, if you like that sort of misguided oddity. The original function was to keep the rear top bow and glass from hammering a print into the deck above the rear lid. Likewise, a Landau was an external hinge with a knob at the knee to assist in top raising and lowering. Hub caps, white walls, cowl bands and Quails are useless ornaments, too. I must say, I just can't live without my hub caps.
To be correct those are roadster top props for the roadster top to rest on. Convertibles (Cabriolets) did not use them. On a Sport Coupe the landau irons are a decoration, on a convertible they are a structural part of the body.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
Bjerg_Menneskene

I don't have measurements but this is a photo that kinda shows where they are on my coupe. Yeah they don't really belong on there, too bad its my car.

Bjerg_Menneskene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #14
A-Jay

Bjerg, thats a great Pic. That reminds me of the Hand grab on the dash in a VW bug. The girls would on to when we were driving like squirrels in High School.
My coupe has them, they give rookies in the rumble seat a place to hold to. The prop wouldn't do much but they are there.
A-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #15
Bill Steiner

They where on my car when I got it. Make a good handle for rumble seat. I think they lohttp://www.flickr.com/photos/54056506@N05/sets/72157624990562562ok good. Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModelAStep.JPG (16.2 KB, 18 views)
Bill Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote