Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
leon bee

Default 8BA Flywheel/Clutch....I've Read TOO Much

I've read so many old posts it kinda clogged my brain. For the next project, the first thing I need is a flywheel. I have no loose ones around here to look at. I have a real nice looking 8BA I bought from a member here. Later I went back and bought a transmission from him, also very nice.

It's, (I think) the light duty top shift 3 speed which would be appropriate for many F1 pickups. Complete with TO bearing and the internal mechanism. When he used it in a 48 F1, he used the 10 inch clutch. From my current 8BA project I have the old rusty 9 1/2" clutch to refer to. It's disc slides right on the transmission shaft.

This leads me to believe that, perhaps, the whole 9 1/2 setup would work between this engine and trans. I guess it would all depend on the depth of the various pressure plate rigs. Again, if I had any flywheels around here I'd find out! When I get a little more ready to spend some money, I'll call Mac VP and see what he says. The reason I'm thinking about the 9 1/2 flywheel is because I'll know one when I see it.

Sorry so wordy, any clarifying thoughts will be much appreciated.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote