Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #41
RUNNERBUN

Default Re: Can I sit in your car?

Firstly may I say that I respect everyones right to their personal oppinions. Yes, I do allow people to sit in my car especially the young ones with permission from the parents, as long as they show respect. It gives great joy to them and myself.
I feel that we are fortunate to own these vehicles but I am also aware that we are only temporary custodians and eventualy these vehicles will pass to the younger generation.
What better way to ensure the servival of our hobby.
And Yes, I have had bad experiences. Like the kid who was playing slippery slide on my front mudguards with his father who thought it was ok watching him thinking it was funny and couldn't understand why I was upset. (but that's life grin and bear it)
Old 05-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #42
31 Woody

I worry about people closing the doors on the Station Wagon the wrong way or while someone else is entering or exiting. People tend to put their hands on the wood B pillar to steady themselves. Closing the door while someone's fingers are there would likely lead to loss of some fingers. So, naturally I am a bit paranoid about people opening and closing the doors when I am not around.

If I am there to help, no problem. If I am not there, look but please do not touch.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:44 AM   #43
Dusty

I did let this knuckle head sit in my car...God knows why though

dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:21 AM   #44
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
in 1961 i used my tudor for all my transportation
and i parked it on the street
the neighbor kids used to love to slide down the fenders
it made them so happy
today i still have the same fenders with the same scratches
of course it wasnt /isnt restored
it was as model As were then
an old car
still brings back old memories
those kids must be near 60 years old now
and ill bet they still remember sliding down that old cars fender
think ill take the grandaughter out and let her slide on them
I've caught my grandaughters doing that too. Another reason I cant have a first class restoration....I'd just be setting myself up for a bad day.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #45
SLPreston53

When I had the 29 Tudor, my sister was a teaching aide for a special ed class (middle school age). She asked me to bring the A, so I did. And I let the kids, many of them not even able to speak, sit in the car and honk the horn. They enjoyed the car for about 30 minutes. My sis said that the kids who could speak talked about that car for weeks afterward, and the non-verbal ones drew pictures of it. The topper: One kid couldn't talk but he could sign...in sign he asked my sister when the car with the "happy horn" was coming back. I get more from kids enjoying the A than they do. Of course the Tudor, and now my PU are definitely drivers...
SLPreston53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #46
mshmodela

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
I can personally vouch for Mitch..... He really means it with that Tommy gun!
No,...... I know Mitch and a nicer guy you're not liable to find. And his car isn't just first class, it's the ne plus ultra of mod. A s. He spends a lot of money on it. Every things perfect!
Terry
Hey, all cool, all opinions are fine by me, Mitch is very helpful to me and others, he stated his opinion which was in no way disrespectful to any one person... just a view that differs...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #47
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I did let this knuckle head sit in my car...God knows why though

dusty
That is one hell of a paint job -- awesome!

Cleveland, Ohio
Old 05-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #48
roccaas

Ladies are ALWAYS welcome as long as they follow the rule!

Men? Not so much!

Last edited by roccaas; 05-24-2014 at 04:42 AM.
roccaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #49
Stan/MO.

I obviously don't have a problem with anyone standing on or setting in my coupe...but I have a story that is related to to this thread.
I have a 1948 H-D panhead that I bought from the original owner 35 yrs. ago. To give you an idea of the condition of this machine...when I bought it...it had 1952 plates on it. I road it to shows, especialy Davenport Iowa because it is only about 200 miles away from my home.
You could not believe the number of knicks and scratches it got on it in the 20 yrs. that I showed it. People would sit there kids on it "without permission" to take there pics.
And one time I was watching the judges all swarmed around it with there clipboards in hand...and one of them bent over the front fender to look at something and hit it with his clipboard putting a scratch and knick in the paint. I know as someone has already said...we do not really own these vehicles...we are just caretakers of them
But it just rubs me wrong when we try to do the best we can to preserve these vehicles...and some judge or joe blow on the street or at a show,couldn't care less what happens to it.
But with all that said...I still like riding down the street and seeing the kids with smiles on their faces...and others with a thumbs up. So I guess I'll keep riding and driving them. "Ride em' don't hide em"
Stan/MO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #50
1wonton
BANNED

I don't take my car to car shows, I just drive it. Don't need to feed my ego and don't have time to sit around listening to the same old comments and stories, over and over.
1wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #51
700rpm

"Questioned the Teacher after all the kids left the room and she explained that the Federal Government requires it to be shown!"

That teacher is full of hair and should be fired. The federal government does not require any school to show any film, and hasn't since the days of "duck and "cover", over 50 years ago.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #52
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
I can personally vouch for Mitch..... He really means it with that Tommy gun!
No,...... I know Mitch and a nicer guy you're not liable to find. And his car isn't just first class, it's the ne plus ultra of mod. A s. He spends a lot of money on it. Every things perfect!
Terry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Hey, all cool, all opinions are fine by me, Mitch is very helpful to me and others, he stated his opinion which was in no way disrespectful to any one person... just a view that differs...
thanks Terry and Mike
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #53
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wonton View Post
I don't take my car to car shows, I just drive it. Don't need to feed my ego and don't have time to sit around listening to the same old comments and stories, over and over.
It's a shame that the shows in your area have the same people time in and time out. Here in Florida there is always something different. While the talk starts about the A it moves to all types of topics. Very interesting people in South Florida.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #54
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
thanks Terry and Mike
You're welcome!

Cleveland, Ohio
Old 05-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #55
BILL WILLIAMSON

Are there young PERVERTS & old PERVERTS? Whut does PERVERT really mean?? Don't sound GOOD! Hope I'm not one?? "Maybe" if I do something that is not original to my Model A, am I a PERVERT? The Dog is nodding, "YES" & he knows a LOT of stuff!---Bill W.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #56
Terry,NJ

Some body is always coming up with a plausible federal law....... That doesn't exist! Ask the number of that statute the next time some pulls this. The Gubment is always trying to distance us from our grandkids, we have memories of better times!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #57
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
You're welcome!

Remington 870 I presume?

That's the quintessential "daily driver" of shotguns. Nice.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #58
PSXPAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
I was at a car show and people keep opening my trunk, it was full of tools and spare parts so I locked it with the key. Some big no neck grabbed the handle and pulled it clear off of the car, broke the shaft off. He mumbled something and threw it down and walked away.
knuckle sandwich.

I used to work at a sandwich shop and had my 49 plymouth parked outside in the lot. look up and theres a kid opening the trunk and every door and the big A-H that i guess was supposed to be watching him didn't do anything just let him (wasn't even really watching him), the doors were inches from the surrounding cars when i dropped my attention from a customer and straight walked away to ask WTF he thought he was doing (the kid) then directed my attention at the fellow letting the little kid run around handling peoples cars, and just gave him the "REALLY your a piece of S***" look. he knew, i could see it, he also didn't care, saw that too.
I was more worried about the door opening into another car and it being MY responsibility.
PSXPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #59
mshmodela

P.S.,

"Remington 870 I presume?"

Correct... but like Coke vs. Pepsi thinking of getting a Mossberg 500.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 05-25-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #60
PSXPAK

wanted to say tho, little innocent kids. they look great in the rumble seat, and when they're all innocent and young they're impressionable. as someone stated before, thats how u plant the seed of interest. those are the kids that will appreciate these cars. We were lined up yesterday and thise group of kids walked over from the military vehicles bout 11-14 y/o i'd say, and one kid just got so excited, "This is it, This is THE ONE!" he kept sayin, "its got the seat, the seat in the back" gramps just got his car like 2 months ago but it was local. hearing those kids get so psyched was a big pat on the back for gramps and made him real happy with his purchase. also my nephew LOVES to honk the horn and sit in the rumble. that kid can't sit still to save his life (3yo) unless he's in the rumble them he's glued even with the car parked.
PSXPAK is offline   Reply With Quote